Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
You now, it would look good on Windsor and Erie if the "buyers" filled their needs without touching any of the OVER PRICED available players that these two teams (mentioned in above post) have available to deal. Leave these two teams holding there purse strings without filling their purses with the ridiculous ransoms they are asking in return for players. Then we can watch the Spits lose Brown, Luchuck and Day at the end of the season for nothing and Erie lose Raddysh, Headrick and Sambrook for that same nothing (no young players or draft picks)... I know it's silly to expect this to happen but we can all wish and watch what happens in the next few weeks.

Reactions: dirty12

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Guys, I wouldn’t count on Durzi being back next year. I think he could very easily sign an AHL deal after the year he is having.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
You now, it would look good on Windsor and Erie if the "buyers" filled their needs without touching any of the OVER PRICED available players that these two teams (mentioned in above post) have available to deal. Leave these two teams holding there purse strings without filling their purses with the ridiculous ransoms they are asking in return for players. Then we can watch the Spits lose Brown, Luchuck and Day at the end of the season for nothing and Erie lose Raddysh, Headrick and Sambrook for that same nothing (no young players or draft picks)... I know it's silly to expect this to happen but we can all wish and watch what happens in the next few weeks.
Fans on this board have no influence on what players are worth - we only guess so we really can't say they are overpriced if we have absolutely no idea what the real asking price is or if they are even being offered in a trade - so don't get too worked up until a trade is actually announced:popcorn:

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Fans on this board have no influence on what players are worth - we only guess so we really can't say they are overpriced if we have absolutely no idea what the real asking price is or if they are even being offered in a trade - so don't get too worked up until a trade is actually announced:popcorn:

Agreed as fans we tend to get worked up on deals because as fans we have a tendency to overthink them when they are made but in reality mangers have a better idea on what the value of a deal is then we the fans do.

This is also said for the value of draft picks when they're traded, as fans we believe that picks like 2nds and 3rds are of big value but when it truly comes down to brass tax it doesn't matter what pick you trade.

It's more because we the fans hope to pick high enough in the order for what we would consider quality player but we really are just guessing till that draft year comes around and the standings order is set in stone

Reactions: Noofgoof

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016

Fans very typically overvalue the assets they HOPE will generate big returns. Sometimes they're right, but more often are off in their evaluations. Truth of the matter is that any given player(s) are only worth what someone else is willing to pay for their services. This season does present a situation where there are multiple players out there who are capable of filling the needs of contenders. That being the case, the selling GM's have to be cautious in not overpricing those players they're shopping Ask too high, and potential buyers just might opt to look at secondary options who ALSO might fit their requirements. Not every team needs a Day, who is at this point, a rental. Perhaps they can complete a deal where they get 2 seasons out of another player with a lesser price tag.

Each and every deal completed prior to the trade deadline, lessens the pile of trading chips ( picks & players) that trading partners are willing to COMFORTABLY part with. Deals will get progressively harder to make, and yes, the Spits & Otters could end up graduating players with nothing to show for them. Add to that, the possibility of some players themselves invoking their No Trade Clauses, and negating potential deals.

I'm predicting that the Early Birds will get the worm, and the late comers will be left sorting through scraps.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Fans very typically overvalue the assets they HOPE will generate big returns. Sometimes they're right, but more often are off in their evaluations. Truth of the matter is that any given player(s) are only worth what someone else is willing to pay for their services. This season does present a situation where there are multiple players out there who are capable of filling the needs of contenders. That being the case, the selling GM's have to be cautious in not overpricing those players they're shopping Ask too high, and potential buyers just might opt to look at secondary options who ALSO might fit their requirements. Not every team needs a Day, who is at this point, a rental. Perhaps they can complete a deal where they get 2 seasons out of another player with a lesser price tag.

Each and every deal completed prior to the trade deadline, lessens the pile of trading chips ( picks & players) that trading partners are willing to COMFORTABLY part with. Deals will get progressively harder to make, and yes, the Spits & Otters could end up graduating players with nothing to show for them. Add to that, the possibility of some players themselves invoking their No Trade Clauses, and negating potential deals.

I'm predicting that the Early Birds will get the worm, and the late comers will be left sorting through scraps.

I agree that fans and teams who wait to play at the trade table maybe left picking up what's left over from any teams want list however with what's in some teams draft cupboard this season doesn't really leave much in the way of trade leverage to pick up quality pieces come deadline day.

Making the trade talks end faster than usual on January 10th. From what I've seen around the league thus far into the season unless your the Soo or Sarnia who need that extra piece to push themselves over the top in the post-sason I can't see a lot of teams make big deals this year unless your at the bottom of the standings and selling off for the future.

Seems the high end want list item this year is tending in a lot of teams cases but with very little to move as trade bait asset wise it would appear that managers maybe more likely sit pat unless your a team that is in the hunt for top spot in the conferences.

Having said all that I can't see DD make a huge slash on the trade front anytime soon especially when so many teams are bunched up standings right now and even more specifically in the western conference.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree that fans and teams who wait to play at the trade table maybe left picking up what's left over from any teams want list however with what's in some teams draft cupboard this season doesn't really leave much in the way of trade leverage to pick up quality pieces come deadline day.

Making the trade talks end faster than usual on January 10th. From what I've seen around the league thus far into the season unless your the Soo or Sarnia who need that extra piece to push themselves over the top in the post-sason I can't see a lot of teams make big deals this year unless your at the bottom of the standings and selling off for the future.

Seems the high end want list item this year is tending in a lot of teams cases but with very little to move as trade bait asset wise it would appear that managers maybe more likely sit pat unless your a team that is in the hunt for top spot in the conferences.

Having said all that I can't see DD make a huge slash on the trade front anytime soon especially when so many teams are bunched up standings right now and even more specifically in the western conference.

Less buyers is perfect for Kitchener & London. Both have plenty to trade. Only Kitchener & OS need a Helvig; though, Ottawa could vault into contender status if bold enough to go for DiPietro & Luchuk. Still think Helvig will be moved; and, for much less than the rumoured Dudas & 2-2nds.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Pivotal weekend, IMO.

On a 5-game losing skid. All 5 losses have come against teams in our division. Team has dropped from 4th place to 7th in the conference over this skid.

With Suzuki and Gadj attending the national junior team selection--which starts on Dec. 12--these weekend games could be the last we see of them in an Attack jersey until the second week of January.

Hancock is out of the lineup again tonight, presumably still due to injury. With Zuke and Gadj soon to be away, looks like we’ll be without the entire Suzuki-Gadjovich-Hancock line.

Into December now and the team still has not really ‘gelled' this year.

Still riding two rookie goalies (although no fault of their own!).

Defensemen playing forward for the third game in a row (Cameron slated to start up front tonight, with Moro presumably scratched unless he is injured or sick).

If we can’t turn things around this weekend, it could prove hard to turn things around in the next little while.

On the plus side, its great to see Philips in the lineup tonight after taking that cheap hit against Guelph last Saturday.

Go Attack go!!

Last edited:
Reactions: SebJHockey

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Just wondering...in the OHL, how common is it for coaches to get fired mid-season?

Thanks.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The way I see it the season is lost.
DeGray made it clear when Bowman left " we will carry on".

It's unrealistic to expect a 16 yr old and a Jr b goalie to carry an OHL team, especially one that was supposedly destined for great things.

If it hasn't already, things will start wearing on the players . I bet it's getting tougher to motivate themselves and some may be contemplating a new locale.

Saturday will be the last game Suzuki and Gadjovich will play for the Attack before they depart for the WJC.

Possibly the last time you see them play together for the Attack.
Too bad Hancock won't be joining them .

That would be a treat to watch one last time .

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
So, its not common to fire coaches mid-season in this league? Just wondering as I am still relatively new to following the OHL.

Not in Owen Sound. My experience is any new coach needs at least two seasons under their belt to properly assess.

Add the complication of no qualified starting goalie.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
The way I see it the season is lost.

Agreed.

Saturday will be the last game Suzuki and Gadjovich will play for the Attack before they depart for the WJC.

Possibly the last time you see them play together for the Attack.

I had this very realization on Wednesday when they released the names for the selection camp. The next day I bought a ticket for Saturday's game.

Reactions: Millpond

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Officially embarrassed get a damn goalie or trade anyone worth anything and move on

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Here' the silver lining folks .

The last time the Attack missed the playoffs, they won the league championship the following year.

Make the right moves at deadline and set this team up for the future.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Not in Owen Sound. My experience is any new coach needs at least two seasons under their belt to properly assess.
But why two seasons? Maybe that's the way its been in the past, but I just wonder how that could be the case now given that things just so very clearly aren't working with Gill. I mean look at this Attack team...a very large contingent of returning players from last year, incredible depth at forward and D (Filyayev doesn't even crack the roster and goes packing back to Belarus), clear favorite to win the West and strong contender to win the OHL, #2 in the CHL pre-season rankings. Its got to be every coach's dream to walk onto a team like this. And what happens? The team starts off well enough, but then other teams figured out how to play us and we don't make any meaningful adjustments to our game. So the team plays 'win 1, lose 1' hockey since mid-late October, and now has dropped 6 games in a row all to divisional opponents (7 in a row against the division if you include the loss at home to London on Nov. 4). Dropped from #4 to #7 in the standings (possibly down to #8 now as I see that London won tonight). They may be a tight-knit group off the ice, but on the ice they clearly have not gelled as a team yet this year. Watching this team is like watching a trainwreck. The goodness-of-fit just isn't there with Gill. The team is getting worse, not better. I can count on one hand the number of quality scoring chances that the team got tonight. I just don't get the two year thing.

Add the complication of no qualified starting goalie

Sure, the goalie situation is not ideal (and totally not fair to Guzda or to Daniels) and I agree with everyone else on here that the team could use a legit #1 goalie, but I don't accept the goalie thing as a reason for this team to be getting worse and to not have gelled yet on the ice. Look at the Nov. 22 game at home vs. Niagara (the last game we won). Guzda plays a great game to keep the team in the game, makes some big saves in the shootout and we win...the boys come off the bench and celebrate with him. Beautiful scene for the team and for the rookie. But does the team use his shootout performance and win to rally around him? Nope. Next game in London, the Knights put up 3 goals in 10 mins. and Guzda gets yanked. There's been opportunities for the boys to rally around Guzda and they have not done that. They were spoiled with McNiven and they need to get over that.

Last edited:

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
McNiven was never expected to backstop the team at 16. He was sent back to Georgetown to develop.

The last 16 yr old was Jordan Binnington and he played 22 games.

Guzda will likely exceed that number by trade deadline .

It may look ugly now, but he'll be a seasoned veteran at 17.

And Gill will get the time because DeGray has put him in this position.

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
Can DD just get rid of zippy? 4 seasons and he still can't figure it out. I'm tired of watching him do nothing out there. Most OAs step it up, for example Angelidis, Halmo, Mignardi, and Heelis. Szypula has regressed.

I thought the team played ok tonight. Guzda looked weak tonight. Every shot Guelph fired at him made me worried. I feel bad for Guzda. There's a lot of pressure on him to win. Hope they don't ruin his confidence bc he's got tons of potential.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
McNiven was never expected to backstop the team at 16. He was sent back to Georgetown to develop.

The last 16 yr old was Jordan Binnington and he played 22 games.

Guzda will likely exceed that number by trade deadline .

It may look ugly now, but he'll be a seasoned veteran at 17.

I agree Guzda will be all the better for his experience this year. Who knows, maybe he'll go on to put up more wins in an Attack sweater than McNiven.

And Gill will get the time because DeGray has put him in this position.
Well if that's the case, I'm glad DD has not parted with assets acquiring a goalie because IMO that's not the team's biggest problem. I guess Gill did do pretty well in Kingston when he built up that team over 3 seasons; maybe his coaching strength is improving a team year-over-year, rather than being handed a championship-calibre team in 'win now' mode and winning with it.

So sure, bring on the rebuild. Let Guzda develop into hopefully the next McNiven. Hopefully Gadj makes Team Canada and his stock skyrockets and we trade him at the deadline. He signed his ELC with Vancouver back in the fall, there's no way he comes back as an OA next year (as much as I would love to have him back).

Last edited:

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Here' the silver lining folks .

The last time the Attack missed the playoffs, they won the league championship the following year.

Make the right moves at deadline and set this team up for the future.

You were (are) set up for this year. Especially in what is turning out to be a mediocre league - except Soo. I'm not sure how rolling the dice by trading top players this year guarantees anything down the road. I wouldn't flush the season just yet. Having a goalie changes everything. If Degray can't do that, I'd seriously question his competence as a GM. I'm fairly certain he will. He may have been hoping McNiven would return.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I thought the Attack were dominant through most of the 1st but it has to get deflating to be carrying the play and then see yourselves down 2-1 on a really bad goal.

DD’s lack of action on the goaltending situation is baffling and it leads me to believe that, provided he is not hurt before January, Mike DiPietro will be coming to Owen Sound with a package that includes Mitchell Russell heading to Windsor. If that doesn’t happen then I have no idea what DD is doing.

Unfortunately, that still won’t be enough IMO. There is very little secondary scoring on this team. I think the loss of Palmu has been almost as significant of a loss as McNiven. Other than Dudas (who is still just a sophomore), I can’t say that anyone has stepped up to fill that loss in production. Szypula, I agree, has been a huge disappointment. I was expecting a great deal more out of Struthers this year. Lazer, who was brought in specifically for secondary scoring, has been terrible. Someone like Sokolov would help, but I think a C that is strong on face offs and is a good distributor would be the best acquisition, but I’m not sure where DD could find that type of player.

Anyway, until older players are moved out, I will assume that the Attack are still all in this year and that DD is biding his time for the right moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad