Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
If Owen Sound goes all in Sudbury could make a very good trading partner. Pezzetta, Sokolov and Culina for Dudas, Groulx and a couple 2nd round picks would work. You get an overage goalie who will help immensely, Pezzetta gives you the heart and grit needed down the middle plus a good face-off guy and penalty killer. Soko gives you your second import and another weapon. Plus getting Verity fellow country man makes Soko feel welcomed as well reunited with Lazer. You lose a very solid player in Dudas and hard working Groulx. The picks would go a long way in helping Sudbury make deals next year to make a run. Anyway something for these two teams to explore if Sudbury plans on selling off and Owen Sound throws their hat into it.

WJ

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Supposedly wont go for pezzeta since his brother played here and it didnt work out according to someone a few months ago

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
What adjustments should have been made in the 3rd? Just asking to understand.
My own observation was that the game plan going into the 3rd seemed to be to get pucks down low in the Rangers' zone, likely to try to preserve our lead. We seemed content just to shoot pucks deep into their zone. We weren't playing typical Attack puck-possession hockey. Consequently we gave the Rags the opportunity to control the play with the puck and they adjusted to that, while increasing their forechecking game. That would be what I would call an in-game adjustment on their part.

The problem with that approach is that we don't win games 3-2 or 4-2. We win games 6-5. Because our goaltending (and some would say our team defence) isn't the strongest, we can't afford to take a pass on the offensive game. You might say that, for the Attack, 'the best defense is a good offense'.

The Rags' coaching staff also used the TV timeout around the 10 minute mark to their advantage. It was shortly after that when they tied it at 4 (Stanley's blast from just inside the blue line, which looked like was a deflection off Friend's stick). After the timeout they were pressing us in our end on the forecheck for a while, Phillips saw an opportunity to clear the zone and he did (no real attempt to transition on our part...again we were mostly just clearing the puck at that time, and in this case he was probably looking for a line change). But the problem was that the puck didn't get deep enough and didn't reach their zone (puck stayed in the neutral zone), and they transitioned quickly and scored.

Last edited:
Reactions: OSMike

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Suzuki, Hancock, and Roberts not dressed tonight. Lazer also not in the lineup.

We've got Cameron playing forward with Struthers and Doherty, also Beamish playing forward with Moro and Groulx.

Looks like coach would rather use two defensemen up front than dress Lazer.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
So...does anyone suppose that the team has some advanced scouting intel on this Vertiy guy and he actually has mad shootout skills??

Missing Palmu in the shootout.

Last edited:

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
It’s a horrible position to be in. No one is beating the Soo this year IMO so I’d imagine the trade market is going to be pretty bad for sellers. So do you spend assets to shore up a shaky team just to make the Conference Finals?

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
The loss hurts. But credit to the guys they played well. guys stepped up and a glimpse of "depth" was seen. Credit to that "2nd" PP unit getting a goal. I was sure it was a botched change or something when I first saw them

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It’s a horrible position to be in. No one is beating the Soo this year IMO so I’d imagine the trade market is going to be pretty bad for sellers. So do you spend assets to shore up a shaky team just to make the Conference Finals?

If OS, Kitchener, and London all feel that way, sellers will have to pretty much give away their players to eastern conference teams that don’t have a whole lot of disposable assets. That won’t happen, will it? If it does, what would be the realized benefit? Those teams will have just stagnated in comparison to one another. And Saginaw, Guelph, and Flint can only get better.
Unless the Soo strikes first, acquiring Raddysh and Headrick for a relatively good bargain; then, allowed to shop for the best fit on D for real cheap because all the west teams capitulate, I don’t think the Soo winning the west is a foregone conclusion.
It may not be a great sellers market; but, I’m sure there will be buyers because no team is running away with the mid-west, and Sarnia will surely add. Hamilton, Peterborough, Barrie, and Miss will all look to add too. Saginaw, Oshawa, and Ottawa will be at least looking at two year players...it should be a fairly normal trade deadline

Last edited:

Jack Attack

Mar 19, 2016
If Owen Sound goes all in Sudbury could make a very good trading partner. Pezzetta, Sokolov and Culina for Dudas, Groulx and a couple 2nd round picks would work. You get an overage goalie who will help immensely, Pezzetta gives you the heart and grit needed down the middle plus a good face-off guy and penalty killer. Soko gives you your second import and another weapon. Plus getting Verity fellow country man makes Soko feel welcomed as well reunited with Lazer. You lose a very solid player in Dudas and hard working Groulx. The picks would go a long way in helping Sudbury make deals next year to make a run. Anyway something for these two teams to explore if Sudbury plans on selling off and Owen Sound throws their hat into it.

WJ
No offense, but this would be a terrible trade. Have you seen Dudas play or his stats? Sure Sokolov is a better sniper (48 goals last year) and Pezzetta is tougher, but Dudas is already as good or better all-around player than Pezzetta or Sokolov, and he's only 17! Pezzetta takes tons of penalties and that's what the Attack are trying to avoid. DD will not trade Dudas - he's not just "the future" of the team, he's the present. It's his hard-working play the Attack love and wish everyone had.

The Attack clearly need a quality experienced goaltender as their #1 priority. DD thought they would have it in Bowman, but clearly that hasn't panned out well. Yes, losing the guys they did last year (Centorame, Palmu, Schmaltz and James) are big holes to fill, but you see guys like Durzi and Dudas step up huge. Dudas is 2nd among 17 year olds in points and Durzi is 1st in D-man points and a +15. It's McNiven that hasn't been replaced, not even close. We go from 1st to worst in goaltending. Everyone knows that a good tender gives the team tons of confidence and that's what McNiven did, just like Carey Price does for the Canadians.

Last year their record was something like 16-13-1-1 before they went on their huge win streak. Not expecting them to do it again, especially not with the goaltending they have right now. I think Guzda is playing well for a 16 yr old. Inconsistent, of course, but that's not surprising for a young goalie. Makes huge saves, but lets weak ones in. His stats are comparable to Jordan Binnington as a 16 yr old (lower Save Pct but higher GAA than Binnington).

Goaltending is what they desperately need and they should get some better replacement sooner than later. Why wait? At this rate the Attack have to score at least 5 goals/night to tie or win. That's not sustainable. I'm not saying they need to sell the farm and get DiPietro, but some experienced upgrade please?! Daniels has been given a fair shot, sorry, he's a Jr. B. goalie for a reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: i luvallsports

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
So here' an interesting tidbit.

When Windsor Spitfires traded G Jack Campbell to SSM, they aquired 2 players and four picks, one of which was Owen Sound' 2nd round in 2014.

With that pick they selected , yup Daniil Vertiy.

The Attack aquired him yesterday for a conditional 15th Rd.

Our own 2nd Rd pick in 2014 was Jonah Gadjovich.

Our 2014 1st Rd pick is currently playing for the Montreal Canadiens. Victor Mete.

Reactions: Noofgoof

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Knights fan here not trolling just my two cents for what it is worth. I am friends with Matthew Struthers family and Knights Season ticket holder and was wondering how Mattie is doing in his sophomore season? The second part is my opinion on Lyle trade after watching North Bay/Knights game last night. I think the Sound should have kept that Propp kid instead of flipping him for Lyle. He played stellar and didn't have a chance on the OT winner. I don't think Tyler Parsons or Michael McNiven stop that goal. He looked great last night for the Battalion robbing Max Jones twice and Militec and Formenton on breakaways. He is a really sound goalie prospect and I can see why Stan Butler wanted him.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Knights fan here not trolling just my two cents for what it is worth. I am friends with Matthew Struthers family and Knights Season ticket holder and was wondering how Mattie is doing in his sophomore season? The second part is my opinion on Lyle trade after watching North Bay/Knights game last night. I think the Sound should have kept that Propp kid instead of flipping him for Lyle. He played stellar and didn't have a chance on the OT winner. I don't think Tyler Parsons or Michael McNiven stop that goal. He looked great last night for the Battalion robbing Max Jones twice and Militec and Formenton on breakaways. He is a really sound goalie prospect and I can see why Stan Butler wanted him.

Mat Struthers is doing pretty well.
He has some points, playing centre mostly on 3rd line centre .
You could say he is getting comfortable with his size, going hard into corners and making some hits.

We must realize he is still only 17, and will certainly become a power forward. He is a big part of the team' future. BTW last two games the Attack used 3 17 yr old centres and 16 yr old Mitch Russell. Suzuki and Hancock out injured and sick.

Too bad the Attack didn' keep Propp. At the time Bowman was still on the team, he left a week or so later.

The team is flipping between a 16 yr old rookie and a Jr b goalie.

The eam has plenty of offense, 3rd most goals in the league, most Shorties but can' compete using two rookies at this level.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
So here' an interesting tidbit.

When Windsor Spitfires traded G Jack Campbell to SSM, they aquired 2 players and four picks, one of which was Owen Sound' 2nd round in 2014.

With that pick they selected , yup Daniil Vertiy.

The Attack aquired him yesterday for a conditional 15th Rd.

Our own 2nd Rd pick in 2014 was Jonah Gadjovich.

Our 2014 1st Rd pick is currently playing for the Montreal Canadiens. Victor Mete.

In 2014, the Attack also picked Willie Knierim in the 2nd round when they could have selected Jordan Kyrou or Boris Katchouk

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Noticed Alan Lyszczarczyk came into Owen Sound's camp and made an immediate impact 9 points in 5 games and some fans got excited and thought he was going to be a great fit. I was hoping he would have too. The problem with Lazer is thats how he was in Sudbury. Quick to impress and then he sputters off. He joined the Polish national junior team division 2 and played really well. Again quick to impress and then returned from that tourney and we never saw him play the way he did the first few weeks of the season and training camp. I began to question his focus, maturity and fitness level. It seemed something in those areas prevented him from playing the way that first got him noticed. With some of the skilled forwards in Owen Sound I am surprised as many of you are that he has not been more productive. It will be interesting to see if he can play an overage season in the OHL next season.

WJ

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
I'm wondering if looking towards the future might be the right way to go since there does not seem to be a reasonable market for an older elite goaltender and a top line centerman available without "breaking the bank"? The reason I bring this up is, it looks like Sarnia and the Soo are the class of the West and will only "add" to prepare for a championship run. Also , it's looking like Kitchener is going to go all in after making a couple of early moves giving up quite a few asset's (picks) for Stanley and Sherwood. And we all know London is always looking to upgrade to battle for top spot before ever selling off.
Why then would the Attack try to join this party and give away a top young player or two and multiple high draft picks for a potential first round victory and then run into a powerhouse in the second round?
Might it be more beneficial to sell off a few high end 98's and 97's?
What would the return be for possibly the best power-forward and point producer in the league right now in 98 LW/Jonah Gadjovich/ NHL Vancouver? What do you think the Attack might be able to get for a steady 98/LD Trent Bourque/ NHL St. Louis? Also, what about the return for a guy like hard hitting, OA/LD Jacob Friend/ NHL LA Kings? Is there a market for OA/C-RW Ethan Szypula? There are a few other players that could/should be moved before the deadline for maybe a late round pick if the team does go this way; 98 Campbell, 98 Lazerchuck, 98 Cameron.
I see the team keeping 98/C Hancock and 98 RD Durzi as OA players next season- unless they sign Pro contracts and play professionally next year.
Gadjovich-Bourque-Friend can surely bring in a very nice return of both younger players and draft picks IMO.
Any other thoughts on this possible scenario?
This team WILL have a very nice nucleus of 99"s, 20's and 01's returning along with the aforementioned very strong OA candidates in Hancock and Durzi...

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
It will be incredibly busy final week prior to the deadline. Once the WJC ends I think whatever team makes the first big move will dictate what direction teams like Owen Sound and Saginaw take. The Soo, Sarnia, Kitchener and possibly London make the push. Kitchener is in a tough spot after losing Hall I believe to a long term injury. Plus they are still missing some grit and more importantly a goalie unless the overage Dumont-Bouchard returns soon and is able to provide them what they need. Then London also has some questions to address. Mete is the big piece that has hampered what they do. So they are in limbo at the moment. So does Owen Sound need to much to run with it? Does Saginaw mess up the young core and make a run. I'm not sure. But the one thing for sure is that the Soo will add to an already very solid team top to bottom. They will be tough to beat in the West barring unforeseen circumstances such as injuries. But I think Owen Sound can benefit the next couple of seasons by dealing Gadjovich, Bourque and Friend. Maybe this should be the direction they take since it may be too expensive for Owen Sound to get a goalie and they don't have a a lot of picks to really get in a bidding war with teams for top players.

WJ

Bear in the Woods

Nov 21, 2017
Hopefully we do something other than the traditional "sitting on our hands" at the deadline. Dale has always seemed to shy away from the "Big" deals. Almost seems like he is unsure of himself at times (not always). Unwilling to stick his neck out for that big piece of the puzzle or to trade away our big assets to fill the cupboard. If we remain complacent at the deadline we can just cut and paste this conversation on to next years thread.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The last three deals he made did ot yield a goaltender, and brought in 2 18 yr olds. Ironically, G Propp was an Attack for an hour and would have made a difference., if not for the fact Bowman left two weeks later. DeGray mentioned his departure was not sudden and the team 'worked' with him for at least a few weeks earlier.

Did he think he was getting Helvig from Kingston, then shied away at the price?

Methinks he is looking down the road.
Any way you slice it the Attack needs a goalie with a few years experience .

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Hopefully we do something other than the traditional "sitting on our hands" at the deadline. Dale has always seemed to shy away from the "Big" deals. Almost seems like he is unsure of himself at times (not always). Unwilling to stick his neck out for that big piece of the puzzle or to trade away our big assets to fill the cupboard. If we remain complacent at the deadline we can just cut and paste this conversation on to next years thread.

Think of the time we will all save.

Reactions: Pond Hockey

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It will be incredibly busy final week prior to the deadline. Once the WJC ends I think whatever team makes the first big move will dictate what direction teams like Owen Sound and Saginaw take. The Soo, Sarnia, Kitchener and possibly London make the push. Kitchener is in a tough spot after losing Hall I believe to a long term injury. Plus they are still missing some grit and more importantly a goalie unless the overage Dumont-Bouchard returns soon and is able to provide them what they need. Then London also has some questions to address. Mete is the big piece that has hampered what they do. So they are in limbo at the moment. So does Owen Sound need to much to run with it? Does Saginaw mess up the young core and make a run. I'm not sure. But the one thing for sure is that the Soo will add to an already very solid team top to bottom. They will be tough to beat in the West barring unforeseen circumstances such as injuries. But I think Owen Sound can benefit the next couple of seasons by dealing Gadjovich, Bourque and Friend. Maybe this should be the direction they take since it may be too expensive for Owen Sound to get a goalie and they don't have a a lot of picks to really get in a bidding war with teams for top players.

WJ
I'm wondering if looking towards the future might be the right way to go since there does not seem to be a reasonable market for an older elite goaltender and a top line centerman available without "breaking the bank"? The reason I bring this up is, it looks like Sarnia and the Soo are the class of the West and will only "add" to prepare for a championship run. Also , it's looking like Kitchener is going to go all in after making a couple of early moves giving up quite a few asset's (picks) for Stanley and Sherwood. And we all know London is always looking to upgrade to battle for top spot before ever selling off.
Why then would the Attack try to join this party and give away a top young player or two and multiple high draft picks for a potential first round victory and then run into a powerhouse in the second round?
Might it be more beneficial to sell off a few high end 98's and 97's?
What would the return be for possibly the best power-forward and point producer in the league right now in 98 LW/Jonah Gadjovich/ NHL Vancouver? What do you think the Attack might be able to get for a steady 98/LD Trent Bourque/ NHL St. Louis? Also, what about the return for a guy like hard hitting, OA/LD Jacob Friend/ NHL LA Kings? Is there a market for OA/C-RW Ethan Szypula? There are a few other players that could/should be moved before the deadline for maybe a late round pick if the team does go this way; 98 Campbell, 98 Lazerchuck, 98 Cameron.
I see the team keeping 98/C Hancock and 98 RD Durzi as OA players next season- unless they sign Pro contracts and play professionally next year.
Gadjovich-Bourque-Friend can surely bring in a very nice return of both younger players and draft picks IMO.
Any other thoughts on this possible scenario?
This team WILL have a very nice nucleus of 99"s, 20's and 01's returning along with the aforementioned very strong OA candidates in Hancock and Durzi...

Just think how flooded with players the trade deadline could be if OS & Miss decide to sell. An early trade of McLoed or Tippett or both and Hague could ruin the plans of Erie & Windsor. Teams willing to spend could have all-star teams.

Last edited:

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
In 2014, the Attack also picked Willie Knierim in the 2nd round when they could have selected Jordan Kyrou or Boris Katchouk
:(

Maybe this trade with Saginaw is the first part of a deal that could involve Cormier (and maybe another forward) and Russell at the 1st round deadline.

However if the west is still strong and we don't think we have a chance or can't afford to go all in I would SELL.

If we are in that position I'd put Gadjovich on the block. He's a '98 will be an OA next year and no doubt will not be back. Hancock will be back and will be a good OA. Suzuki as a '99 should be back but could crack the AHL/NHL, that's a gamble but I'd keep him so that there isn't a full revolt. Szypula, Friend, Campbell, Bourque also I'd put up for sale. Basically any OA or '98's(other than Hancock) that anybody would want.

I failed to say to keep Durzi in the above..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad