Prospect Info: Owen Pickering, 21st Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
(Ignoring the likelihood that Pickering will become trade fodder to support some final efforts in the Crosby era)

Pickering kind of reminds me of Brooks Orpik. Not play style wise, but timing.

Orpik was a mid 1st round pick in 2000 (18th overall) and was about 26 when the Pens had their flashy young core forwards (87/71/11) first play together in 06-07. He had a couple years of experience at that time, but was still developing himself to that point. His prime came in the next couple years when the trio led the team to back-to-back Final appearances.

Pickering realistically will take a few years to develop, meaning he could become a regular in the lineup at the end of the Crosby (and Malkin) era around age 23. Depending on how long he'd have to suffer through the rebuilding years, he could be in his prime 26-29 years when a new core is being formed. That core isn't going to be 87 and 71, but Pickering could be a real valuable piece for that future team.

Obviously if Pickering becomes a superstar, that wouldn't be the ideal career path for him. But if his ceiling is a good 2/great 3 on the blueline, I think that is a solid timeline for him and the team. He seems well spoken and could project as a good leadership type role in future years.

This is all based on a Youtube highlight video I watched 20 minutes ago and an interview he did with Colby Armstrong and Steve Dangle.

Sotty

Nov 1, 2004
Westfalen
I remember people bashing the Seider pick in Detroit

I have no idea about the potential of Pickering. But all the Red Wing fans who were criticizing the Seider pick, which was almost all of them, were total idiots. Anyone who follwed european hockey just the slightest knew Seider would be an awesome pick for any team.

Reactions: Victor Z

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Waxing poetic about development and coaching young players.

*uses veterans instead with no accountability*
that's just nhl coaching. he had a different role when he gave that presentation, and honestly, i don't see or hear what is different from what he preaches today. what he is preaching in that presentation, he preaches today. he's not a development coach today though

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
that's just nhl coaching. he had a different role when he gave that presentation, and honestly, i don't see or hear what is different from what he preaches today. what he is preaching in that presentation, he preaches today. he's not a development coach today though
Coaches are always developing players. That's the common misconception. A head coach will give players assignments to round out their game etc. But putting players in positions to succeed is what we're missing. It was the video that made me a huge fan of his when we first had him as a wbs coach. What he's become is a far cry from what he was.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Coaches are always developing players. That's the common misconception. A head coach will give players assignments to round out their game etc. But putting players in positions to succeed is what we're missing. It was the video that made me a huge fan of his when we first had him as a wbs coach. What he's become is a far cry from what he was.
well i guess we agree then tbh

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I think people don't realize how insanely hard it is to "put on muscle" as a hockey player. :laugh: You're doing an insane amount of cardio pretty much every day for 8 or 9 months a year. It's very, very hard to add muscle when you're blasting through that many calories a day.

It's not impossible, but the kid's gonna have to put in a shitload of work. Petts has been a string bean trying to put on muscle for 4+ years now. There's also a line you have to navigate carefully as a trainer/player where a guy wanting to add size/muscle doesn't want to lose his edge in skating and agility.
But I was told when Malkin was drafted that he'd become a 225-235lb muscled monster, not the 195lb he ended up topping out at....

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Don't hate the pick. Not sure I love it today either, but don't hate it.

The thing I like is that if he fulfils his destiny, he's a 6'4" notably plus skater and there's only so many of those in the NHL. If you want one, and every team wants about six, good luck getting them. It doesn't sound like he'll ever have gamebreaking physicality or skill, but a dman with reach, skating and smarts can heavily effect the game if he's not underpowered or underskilled. And if the skating is good enough, that can be game breaking.

I also like the fact he's on a real steep incline of recent progress.

But we'll see.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
From the EliteProspects draft guide

"You're probably looking at a long-term developmental project with Pickering, but the payoff could be pretty sweet. Everything is there for him to develop into a well-rounded, all situations top-four defenceman at the NHL level. Perhaps better if he lands in the right spot.

That makes him one of the first round's wildcards, and a candidate to go a fair bit higher than where we have him ranked
(16th, my note)"

Shades of: Travis Sanheim

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The thing about Pickering is that he does what Pettersson, POJ, and others don't - Which is hit and hit often and kill plays with hits.
Ngl, I have not seen this whatsoever.

Pickering himself talked about not having really developed a physical edge yet and how he's more focused on box outs and pinning guys on the wall in that regard at the moment, and more will come as he matures.

Reactions: Peat

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
From the EliteProspects draft guide

"You're probably looking at a long-term developmental project with Pickering, but the payoff could be pretty sweet. Everything is there for him to develop into a well-rounded, all situations top-four defenceman at the NHL level. Perhaps better if he lands in the right spot.

That makes him one of the first round's wildcards, and a candidate to go a fair bit higher than where we have him ranked
(16th, my note)"

Shades of: Travis Sanheim
They note some interesting stuff on his skating in that guide:

screenshot pickering.jpg

Reactions: Peat

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
"The Penguins need to get bigger on defense".

Then people complain about this pick. I get that he probably won't be in the NHL for another 3-4 years and by that time who knows what the current state of the team will be, but I don't mind choosing the safe pick.

You'll have plenty of time to draft more offensive guys when you're picking in the top ten when the team is bad again, which is generally where you want to pick them. I don't really see the issue with building on defense now, especially given the Penguins don't have anyone like him in their system currently.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
"The Penguins need to get bigger on defense".

Then people complain about this pick. I get that he probably won't be in the NHL for another 3-4 years and by that time who knows what the current state of the team will be, but I don't mind choosing the safe pick.

You'll have plenty of time to draft more offensive guys when you're picking in the top ten when the team is bad again, which is generally where you want to pick them. I don't really see the issue with building on defense now, especially given the Penguins don't have anyone like him in their system currently.

I don't think it mattered who was selected we still would have gotten "WE SHOULD HAVE TRADED THE PICK!" posts.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don't think it mattered who was selected we still would have gotten "WE SHOULD HAVE TRADED THE PICK!" posts.
I dunno, with Miroshnichenko and Duro taken around the same time, I suspect we will look back at this draft feeling we missed out on more talented players. I’m sure Pickering will be a fine #4 or # 5 dman.

He sure was not a sexy pick, but that’s Hextall for you. He will always choose the Toyota Gold Camry player. Hopefully, by the time he’s a regular NHL ready dman, Hextall will be long gone, a distant memory like Mike Johnston.

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Nothing wrong with taking a player that can develop into a top 4 D man. He is growing and will mature so he can add 15 pounds to 195 and 6-5 by the time he has played in WB for a couple years. Hextall bet on his upside and that is what you have to do here at pick 21. Just wish Hextall would be more aggressive in getting players moved who take up cap or just don't fit what Hextall clearly wants. More physicality and bang with size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad