Prospect Info: Owen Pickering, 21st Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Pickering's season came to an unfortunately premature ending over the weekend. Needed a win in Medicine Hat and lost 4-3 to miss out on the final playoff spot.

Final stat line was 9 goals and 36 assists in 61 games (11 points in the last 12 games of the year). 12 more points than last year, improved his +/- by +24 (-29 to -5). Probably averaged in the high 20's for minutes per game, but must have been over 30 down the final stretch during the playoff push.

He's heading to Wilkes-Barre.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
How's he been coming along thi year? Pens could really use some hope on some of their younger players.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
He really didn’t make any statistical improvements over last season which is not a great sign. Not being over or around PPG in his D+2 year is a really bad sign. He wasn’t even invited to team Canadas WJC camp and many people had him penciled in to start the year.

He’s a project at this point. I still have faith , but he’s probably not going to be a point producer.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I wasn't crazy about the pick. But at the time he was seen as a late bloomer type who would need to grow into his body which would take some time. Now I do think he has upside here and my sense is he will be a type 2 LD nice defender as he fills out. He is 6-5 and added maybe 15 pounds since his selection. He has offensive skills and moves pretty well. Just not a stud. Pens have Graves, Petts who Dubas really likes and then Ludvig and POJ. So he can be at WB for a couple years and develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: farscape1

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
He really didn’t make any statistical improvements over last season which is not a great sign. Not being over or around PPG in his D+2 year is a really bad sign. He wasn’t even invited to team Canadas WJC camp and many people had him penciled in to start the year.

He’s a project at this point. I still have faith , but he’s probably not going to be a point producer.
Agree he hasn’t found much success but also think it doesn’t matter in his case.

Either he grows out of baby giraffe stage into a better athlete and the pick hits, or he doesn’t and he’s a 6/7/AHL type.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Agree he hasn’t found much success but also think it doesn’t matter in his case.

Either he grows out of baby giraffe stage into a better athlete and the pick hits, or he doesn’t and he’s a 6/7/AHL type.

Best case scenario seems a Marcus Petterson type (which would be excellent value for 21st overall) but seems a high probability he bounces around AHL teams and ends up with less than 100 NHL games,

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Best case scenario seems a Marcus Petterson type (which would be excellent value for 21st overall) but seems a high probability he bounces around AHL teams and ends up with less than 100 NHL games,
IMO that’s pretty harsh. If he had 90 points this year but still was awkward it wouldn’t affect what I think of him.

He’s enormous and does some stuff you can’t teach very well. Plus he’s been touted as a project since before the draft (he has literal growing pains because he grew so fast). I think it’s really hard to assign probabilities in any direction, good or bad, until he plays a year in pro.

Terrible pick for a team wanting an injection of youth sooner rather than later but hopefully it looks good in 3-4 years.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Be realistic because the sad reality is that late-round 1st round picks rarely make an impact in the first several years. These aren't top 5 picks were's talking about.

Past Pickering, you see a total of 46 NHL games played with 33 of them coming from Piortas in Boston. Miroshnichenko for Washington has 13 now. The 2021 draft class ain't much better. 2020 class is starting to find their footing with most of the later 1st round picks playing at least half a season. So 4 years before we should be judging. In 2-3 years, if he hasn't made it, then bitch.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pickering was too much a project reach for a team that needed a faster development player like a winger. But at 6-5 and adding more strength and weight, he can be a really good top 4 defender with his skill set.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
IMO that’s pretty harsh. If he had 90 points this year but still was awkward it wouldn’t affect what I think of him.

He’s enormous and does some stuff you can’t teach very well. Plus he’s been touted as a project since before the draft (he has literal growing pains because he grew so fast). I think it’s really hard to assign probabilities in any direction, good or bad, until he plays a year in pro.

Terrible pick for a team wanting an injection of youth sooner rather than later but hopefully it looks good in 3-4 years.

I'd be shocked if there was any serious offensive potential given the numbers he's put up in juniors. Most offensively talented dmen would be putting up at least PPG seasons in junior. He's certainly not a lost cause, he's 6'5 and can skate which you can't teach, he's got enough tools to be an effected dman who can defend while not being a complete lost cause with the puck.

Looking back at the rankings he was picked right around where he was projected so it wasn't like he was a huge reach (*cough* Derrick Pouliot *cough*).

Reactions: Rudy Russo

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I'd be shocked if there was any serious offensive potential given the numbers he's put up in juniors.
I don’t think there ever really was. I think he was drafted in hopes that the upside was he could be a breakout/transition machine who could get stops and maybe get you 35 points a year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don’t think there ever really was. I think he was drafted in hopes that the upside was he could be a breakout/transition machine who could get stops and maybe get you 35 points a year.
My concern is how his offense plateaued this year. He didn't take that next step you usually see out of guys who have the potential to be good NHLers.

And yeah, when a defenseman in junior doesn't flirt with at least a point per game at this point in their careers, that usually doesn't bode well. Even guys who don't project to being offensive guys at the next level usually flirt with around point per game just due to their ability versus the average junior player who has no future in hockey.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
My concern is how his offense plateaued this year. He didn't take that next step you usually see out of guys who have the potential to be good NHLers.

And yeah, when a defenseman in junior doesn't flirt with at least a point per game at this point in their careers, that usually doesn't bode well. Even guys who don't project to being offensive guys at the next level usually flirt with around point per game just due to their ability versus the average junior player who has no future in hockey.
Yeah I’m not real high on him for similar reasons…

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah I’m not real high on him for similar reasons…
It was my biggest red flag with Scott Harrington. I was super high on him in his draft year, but him never putting up numbers at the junior level even in his final year made a part of me wonder if he'd even be a regular in the NHL, let alone this top four shutdown guy we were hoping for.

Pickering's put up better numbers than Harrington, but the overall point remains. I can't think of many (or any off the top of my head) 19 year old defensemen who didn't flirt with a point per game season in junior and still went on to be anything more than a low end 6th/7th defenseman at the NHL level.

The closest is Maatta but he was in the NHL by 19. We never saw what he would have put up in junior if he'd been returned for his final year.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

He’s missed out on two consecutive summers in terms of injury.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Statistically he seems comparable to Haydn Fleury, who hasn’t amounted to much.

Team and role situations can be factors, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad