Prospect Info: Owen Pickering, 21st Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Can't say that i've seen much of him, but a kid that just shot up to 6'4 in a short period of time and is figuring out how to use his frame but already has the offensive talent seems like a good risk to take. Seems like a good pick. Was 23rd on Bob's rankings, so seems like this is the consensus of where is value was.

The reality is that picks 20 on are around a 25-33% chance to be a top nine or top 4, so whoever we picked was probably going to be a scrub. The Pasternak and Kuznetsovs are rare occurrences.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So he's like Dumoulin's defense, with Matheson's transition game?

I'm tryin' real hard to go big on the optimism here, but when people are throwing out words like composure and poise, I instantly gotta think that means the dude's just another boring turd to the pile.
When you put it that way it doesn't sound that bad of a pick.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Thrilled with this pick.

Pickering is not “boring.” He has a massive frame but is also one of the best-skating players - not defensemen - in the draft. His first pass is excellent and he makes the small plays - holding onto the puck for an extra second, finding the soft area for a pass, putting a puck into the goalie’s pads from the blueline - that generate chances at the NHL level. Just because he doesn’t attack the net from the blueline like Makar doesn’t mean he’s poor offensively. The other remarkable thing to be really excited about is he spurted up to 6’5” from like 5’7” in only two years, without losing his agility, and still has room to put on a huge amount of muscle - meaning a better shot, an absolute monster along the boards, and even better skating if he trains correctly. This guy can be Slavin, and not the “lite” version.

Patrick “Who” Bacon’s little chart can f*** right off. Swift Current has been terrible throughout Owen’s time there, and his offensive skills have still shone through.

Edit: I agree with the poster who brought up Seider. I don’t expect Pickering to be at that level as quickly, or even at all, but he absolutely has the potential to dominate games in an identical fashion.
Not only that, but just three years ago, when Pickering was drafted 177th in the WHL Bantam Draft by Swift Current, he was just 5’7”, 131 lbs. That's quite the growth spurt he's on.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Thrilled with this pick.

Pickering is not “boring.” He has a massive frame but is also one of the best-skating players - not defensemen - in the draft. His first pass is excellent and he makes the small plays - holding onto the puck for an extra second, finding the soft area for a pass, putting a puck into the goalie’s pads from the blueline - that generate chances at the NHL level. Just because he doesn’t attack the net from the blueline like Makar doesn’t mean he’s poor offensively. The other remarkable thing to be really excited about is he spurted up to 6’5” from like 5’7” in only two years, without losing his agility, and still has room to put on a huge amount of muscle - meaning a better shot, an absolute monster along the boards, and even better skating if he trains correctly. This guy can be Slavin, and not the “lite” version.

Patrick “Who” Bacon’s little chart can f*** right off. Swift Current has been terrible throughout Owen’s time there, and his offensive skills have still shone through.

Edit: I agree with the poster who brought up Seider. I don’t expect Pickering to be at that level as quickly, or even at all, but he absolutely has the potential to dominate games in an identical fashion.
5'7 to 6'5 in a few years? damn, boys got some DOC in him.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Not only that, but just three years ago, when Pickering was drafted 177th in the WHL Bantam Draft by Swift Current, he was just 5’7”, 131 lbs. That's quite the growth spurt he's on.
Super raw. This is def a "take the guy for what he is in 10 years" typa pick.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Is Swift Current expected to be better? Looks like a young group. Be nice if they could be at least a playoff team. These clips are mostly him defending. Looks like he wants to get up in the rush but there’s just not a lot of talent to get the puck out and into the O zone.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think people don't realize how insanely hard it is to "put on muscle" as a hockey player. :laugh: You're doing an insane amount of cardio pretty much every day for 8 or 9 months a year. It's very, very hard to add muscle when you're blasting through that many calories a day.

It's not impossible, but the kid's gonna have to put in a shitload of work. Petts has been a string bean trying to put on muscle for 4+ years now. There's also a line you have to navigate carefully as a trainer/player where a guy wanting to add size/muscle doesn't want to lose his edge in skating and agility.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
sweet so in 3 years when he hits the big club at that rate hell be 7'4 320

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about the kid, but from what I am reading I kind of like the pick and sounds like he's developing a good size and skillset. Got to love the skating that he is praised upon

I think people don't realize how insanely hard it is to "put on muscle" as a hockey player. :laugh: You're doing an insane amount of cardio pretty much every day for 8 or 9 months a year. It's very, very hard to add muscle when you're blasting through that many calories a day.

It's not impossible, but the kid's gonna have to put in a shitload of work. Petts has been a string bean trying to put on muscle for 4+ years now. There's also a line you have to navigate carefully as a trainer/player where a guy wanting to add size/muscle doesn't want to lose his edge in skating and agility.
Petts is gangly and an Ectomorph, hes not putting on muscle

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
I’m excited about this pick. It’s not going to matter for another three or four years, so what’s the point in pouting because we picked a tall, good-skating Dman instead of some other guy I’ve never seen play?

Plus, Facebook memories reminded me a few days ago about my hot take on The Pens drafting some pipsqueak named Guentzel.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Listen, there's no bad pick when your team has the unanimously considered worst prospect pool in the league. People are just riffing on their preference, is all. I don't see anyone really losing their mind with despair over the pick, but maybe I got 'em ignored. /shrug

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sully all smiles as he tells him "you'll never see the NHL kid".
Truth

Listen, there's no bad pick when your team has the unanimously considered worst prospect pool in the league. People are just riffing on their preference, is all. I don't see anyone really losing their mind with despair over the pick, but maybe I got 'em ignored. /shrug
We're waiting on the 5yr extension to Rodrigues for 3.5m/yr.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm glad they added some size to the blueline. I would have personally liked a skilled winger, but it's not like this wasn't a need also.

See you in 5 years, young man.

Reactions: Night Shift

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad