GDT: OvsP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
As much as I expect Bear to have a rough go of it tonight given the opposition he's going to be facing, I'm actually quite interested how he'll look and hoping he'll get a fair opportunity on the single PP we'll likely get tonight. If there's one thing he does do very well, it's shoot the puck and join the rush...and being a RH shot doesn't hurt.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So I am going to assume that the "Damn everything else, direct all resources to the Milan Lucic sinkhole!" strategy will continue unabated.

McLellan answer for almost any other player; You have to work for your minutes, prove you deserve them and make the team give you minutes and assignments through your efforts.

McLellan answer on Lucic; "We have to get him back where he needs to be"

Double standard. My hypothesis is its Chia directing the play Lucic with McD mandate. Even though Lucic does nothing to help our topline.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
McLellan answer for almost any other player; You have to work for your minutes, proof you deserve them and make the team give you minutes and assignments through your efforts.

Double standard. My hypothesis is its Chia directing the play Lucic with McD mandate. Even though Lucic does nothing to help our topline.

Apparently the same treatment applies also to Rattie. TMac did say that Rattie gets to play with Draisaitl and he is given power play time (to get him going). Not one mention on having to earn it...

Reactions: Aerrol

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So I am going to assume that the "Damn everything else, direct all resources to the Milan Lucic sinkhole!" strategy will continue unabated.

McLellan answer for almost any other player; You have to work for your minutes, prove you deserve them and make the team give you minutes and assignments through your efforts.

Is Chia the one behind the twitter account that's why he tagged Lucic? lol

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Lucic should just goal suck by the other team's blue line all game long until he gets his goal. Breaking his slump is the most important thing ever right now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Apparently the same treatment applies also to Rattie. TMac did say that Rattie gets to play with Draisaitl and he is given power play time (to get him going). Not one mention on having to earn it...

Its absolutely incredible to me that Rattie gets automatic Drai pairing in every game and Aberg and Pulju getting none of it. Rattie has a Junior hockey level shot. Basically looks incapable of scoring at this level. Pulju and Aberg obviously would offer better goal scoring mix for Draisaitl along with puck support. All I'm seeing from Rattie is taking shots that can't possibly go in. Looks like a muff forward to me (at this point)

Reactions: PulYou

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

I agree with the frustration but unfortunately the Oilers need to get him going for next year because he's basically untradeable, unmovable, and unbuyoutable.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
I agree with the frustration but unfortunately the Oilers need to get him going for next year because he's basically untradeable, unmovable, and unbuyoutable.

And unfortunately now is as good a time as ever considering our place in the standings.

The frustration comes because this is also the perfect time to give Pulju some leash in the top 6 and find out what we have in Ahberg.

Reactions: MessierII

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

I know, I get it. And Todd gets it too when he referred to Lucic as a "long term Oiler" during his media avail today.

It just hammers home the point that any time in future when McLellan talks about how "ice time is earned", it's a rule that only applies to certain players on the team.

Reactions: Aerrol and PulYou

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Nice idea GK. With a potential add-on:
Anybody wanna make a drinking game out of these?

1 Shot

- The phrase "historically bad home PK" gets mentioned
- If we get a powerplay
- If Aberg scores
- Drew Remenda says "Wow"
- Missed McDavid penalty
- Subban interference that doesn't get called

Double Shots

- Camera pans to T. Mac looking down at the replay
- Kevin Quinn mess up
- Bear Scores

Chug that Bottle

- Lucic scores
- We win the inevitable offside challenge
- We get scored on with the 1st shot
- Subban interference that gets called
- T. Mac shows any sort of emotion

Add Remenda saying “shimmy shake,” then saying it again each time they show the replay of the deke. Punishable by 2 shots.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I know, I get it. And Todd gets it too when he referred to Lucic as a "long term Oiler" during his media avail today.

It just hammers home the point that any time in future when McLellan talks about how "ice time is earned", it's a rule that only applies to certain players on the team.
For sure.

The Oilers have too many problems and not enough solutions to staple them to. Lucic is the biggest problem by far.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004

I just don't see how getting Lucic going now is gonna have any effect come next season. If anything... If his slump continued until the end of the season.. it might open up his eyes more and make him realize he needs to make some big changes this offseason for next year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Maybe the thinking is we could pump up Lucic's goal scoring to 15 goals and have any team interested in trade or simply taking on the contract for nothing. We'd have to move assets just for that and good luck with that.

If I'm being honest though he's playing slightly better last couple games. He actually made some bonafide puck support plays but seems only when both McD and Drai are on the line. Milan gets nothing done when only with McD. lol that McD didn't even think of passing the puck (why would he) on the goal. The funny thing is Lucic wasn't even a decoy on the play. Goalie cheated McD and Connor beat him anyway.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I just don't see how getting Lucic going now is gonna have any effect come next season.
Confidence is a very important part of hockey. While I don't put a whole lot of stock into what goes on when a team's season is lost (as ours has been for a long time), Lucic is an important cog in the Oilers machine. Even if it is rusty, smelly, and jams up the works.

The very best thing for the Oilers would be for Lucic to regain the swagger he had in certain games last season. And don't get me wrong, the development of others is just as important... The problem is that Lucic is locked in for a lot of money for a very long time. It's a terrible problem to have with no obvious solution.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Talbot ranked 35th out of 39th for NHL goalies in GAA
Ranked last of staters in Losses
Ranked 36 out of 39th for Save %
Ranked last for shutouts with 1

Wow what a train wreck of a season, but according to Oiler fans hes been fine this year.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
lol 28buck tickets for sale tonights game. haha, this is 90's suck resale prices back again. I wish there was still scalping at the venue. You wouldn't have to pay the ticketmaster markup and added charges.

lol, also Sky tickets available for 89bucks. Free meals with that for around the same price as the usual lowest priced ticket at Rogers. I believe these tickets are regularly around 230bucks. If anybody out there is hungry..

still not worth it.
top chef is on tonight. an oiler game won't have the same value as seeing Padma on TV.

Reactions: MessierII

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
So it sounds like Bear will be paired with Sekera, assuming Sekera is cleared to play according to Bob.

Best-Of-Luck-4-550x266.jpg

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

Wow what a train wreck of a season, but according to Oiler fans hes been fine this year.

Hopefully he'll be able to rebound next season. If he's able to return close to his previous form, we should make the playoffs.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Hopefully he'll be able to rebound next season. If he's able to return close to his previous form, we should make the playoffs.

A big if at this point, as the book is out on him. Shoot high glove and its prob going in. Its been a weakness in the NHL, just gets exposed way ore since everyone knows it now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Corrected for league worst PK Talbots stats are basically middle of the road. Not sure where you are citing from in anycase or how you figure its out of 39.

Plus the Oilers, as a team, are among the 4th worst GA teams in the league and so it stands to reason that the Stats of the goalie would be among the worst.

This just in. Bad teams with questionable defence allow a lot of goals and the goalies stats end up looking bad.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
After searching for another defenseman for a funny name pairing with Bear, I have learned there is a dire shortage of defensemen with animal last names in the league.

Reactions: A91 and Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad