Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Jason MacIsaac said:
You have to agree it helps...

Of course it helps, but thus far, his teammates have benefitted from his passes, moreso than the other way around. I'm sure when the team really starts to mesh, he'll be picking up some secondary assists and tap in goals.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jaded-Fan said:
One game into his pro-career? I do not think that 'take issue' is strong enough of a word. I would have to say that words like idiocy and similar phrases much better capture any such 'debate' after one game.

So you're saying it's a foregone conclusion that Crosby is the Next Gretzky and clearly better than Ovechkin and anyone who debates contrary is an idiot?

Nice.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
EroCaps said:
So you're saying it's a foregone conclusion that Crosby is the Next Gretzky and clearly better than Ovechkin and anyone who debates contrary is an idiot?

Nice.

Did you actually read my words and come to that conclusion? I suggest that you go back and re-read them.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I sense personal attacks ... oh yes, they're coming ... and I also sense, a lock ... this thread is gonna get locked in a few minutes! :sarcasm:

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
Not comparing the player, comparing the championships wons cause there is no way in hell that I would concede Crosby to be at Marcel Dionne's level.

Granted that Parise is the kind of player that everyone would love to have on their team, both in the regular season and playoffs, but what exactly has he shown to make him so much more of a winner than Crosby? Going by past success, he didn't win any NCAA championships (Minnesota and Denver won the Frozen Four in the two years that Parise played college hockey), but he did win gold at the WJC and won Mac's tournament when he was still at Shattuck St. Mary's. But Crosby also won gold at the WJC, though he didn't play as prominent a role in his team's success as Parise did (though Parise was at least statistically silent in the semis and finals). He also led his team to a QMJHL championship and to the Memorial Cup finals. Shattuck St. Mary's didn't win Mac's tournament the one year Crosby was with them, though.

In terms of their playing styles, it's not like Crosby is soft, one dimensional scorer either--he's an extremely dedicated, hardworking, and tenacious player, just like Parise. So besides for a few NHL regular season games and a midget tournament, what makes Parise the consummate winner and Crosby the guy who puts up the points but doesn't ever win?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jaded-Fan said:
Did you actually read my words and come to that conclusion? I suggest that you go back and re-read them.

Yes.

You take issue with anyone debating Crosby being overrated 1 game into his pro career. I think that's blatantly arrogant.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
One game into his pro-career? I do not think that 'take issue' is strong enough of a word. I would have to say that words like idiocy and similar phrases much better capture any such 'debate' after one game.

I think what bother some people is that, even before either played 1 NHL game, there were several posters saying things along the lines of....Crosby is clearly the better player, and those that think otherwise are homers or clueless. They might not have used those exact words (although in some cases it was pretty much exactly that) but there was plenty of it. I wont go hunt for it...because its pointless. I couldnt care less what those people are saying....just like you shouldnt care what people saying the exact opposite are saying. The funny thing about most of these people is.....most had seen maybe a few games that either played, and if they had seen a lot of either one.....I cant imagine how they could have seen a lot of the other....and of course there are the posters that had strong opinions about who was better without ever seeing either play

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Genghis Keon said:
Granted that Parise is the kind of player that everyone would love to have on their team, both in the regular season and playoffs, but what exactly has he shown to make him so much more of a winner than Crosby? Going by past success, he didn't win any NCAA championships (Minnesota and Denver won the Frozen Four in the two years that Parise played college hockey), but he did win gold at the WJC and won Mac's tournament when he was still at Shattuck St. Mary's. But Crosby also won gold at the WJC, though he didn't play as prominent a role in his team's success as Parise did (though Parise was at least statistically silent in the semis and finals). He also led his team to a QMJHL championship and to the Memorial Cup finals. Shattuck St. Mary's didn't win Mac's tournament the one year Crosby was with them, though.

In terms of their playing styles, it's not like Crosby is soft, one dimensional scorer either--he's an extremely dedicated, hardworking, and tenacious player, just like Parise. So besides for a few NHL regular season games and a midget tournament, what makes Parise the consummate winner and Crosby the guy who puts up the points but doesn't ever win?
I am not saying Crosby isn't a winner. It seems though that Pens fans are happy that Crosby is top 3 in scoring rather then their team winning. I said they can have a Marcel Dionne if they want.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Jason MacIsaac said:
I am not saying Crosby isn't a winner. It seems though that Pens fans are happy that Crosby is top 3 in scoring rather then their team winning. I said they can have a Marcel Dionne if they want.

You know as well as we do that Crosby's performance is more important in the longterm, although we are indeed frustrated with the team's record thus far.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
tom_servo said:
You know as well as we do that Crosby's performance is more important in the longterm, although we are indeed frustrated with the team's record thus far.
It is important for who? The nay sayers? Screw them, if Crosby gets 40 points, plays two way hockey and gets the Pens to the playoffs I would be much more impressed with him.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Jason MacIsaac said:
we are happy with crosby because he's been the brightest spot in our 3 games so far. pens fans are thoroughly disgusted with the defense and know that is the reason we're not winning. i'm not sure what your point is...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Jason MacIsaac said:
It is important for who? The nay sayers? Screw them, if Crosby gets 40 points, plays two way hockey and gets the Pens to the playoffs I would be much more impressed with him.

In a perfect world we would raise the Stanley Cup and Crosby, Malkin and MAF would be the best trifecta since the father, son and holy ghost. However, as a Cup is unlikely at best, if we had to choose we can be looking for signs that the kid has what he was reputed to had and be encouraged by flashes of that talent, as can Washington with AO . . .etc, etc. It is far more important to this franchise, if forced to choose, that Crosby pans out. It would mean likely winning over a long period, not just this year. Why so black and white, either or about this though?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Jason MacIsaac said:

How can he help it if the rest of his team isn't up to snuff yet??? The Penguins are loaded with offensive potential, but still lack defensive players and grit IMO. Is Sid supposed to help the defensive core???

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The Penguins will be scary in 5 years with Crosby/Malkin down the middle - it will be in the league of Yzerman/Fedorov and Sakic/Forsberg. It will take a while for their big 3 on defence to blossom though (Orpik, Whitney, Welch), like I said...5 years.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Bryanbryoil said:
How can he help it if the rest of his team isn't up to snuff yet??? The Penguins are loaded with offensive potential, but still lack defensive players and grit IMO. Is Sid supposed to help the defensive core???

Who knows what role defensemen will play in the "new NHL"? It's still evolving. Crosby and Malkin down the middle is flatout phenomenal. I see the Pens evolving into a perennial contender under Patrick. If a dominant defensemen is their missing piece they can always get one via trade or FA, i.e Blake and Bourque.

KariyaIsGod*

Zen Arcade said:
Of course it helps, but thus far, his teammates have benefitted from his passes, moreso than the other way around. I'm sure when the team really starts to mesh, he'll be picking up some secondary assists and tap in goals.

And if you want to take it further, Ocechkin's second goal was the product of his teammates and his assist was also the product of his teammates. His first goal, although his teammates played a lesser role, was still the result of a very nice pass...

So who's benefitting from linemates?

It's not Crsby since Leclair and Recchi havn't exactly done a whole lot to help the kid...

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
ftyutin51 said:
Ovechkin scored game winning goal against the NYR today after a horrible penalty by Darius Kasparitis. :shakehead *He has an amazing shot.
I'm 98% sure that was a dive by Ovechkin. Kaspar wasn't even looking at Ovechkin. Ovy's skate bumped Kaspar's stick and he went down.

Still, he definitely has a goal scorers mentality and knows where to be. An easy goal for him today, but half the battle is being in the right spot.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
WVpens said:
I'm 98% sure that was a dive by Ovechkin. Kaspar wasn't even looking at Ovechkin. Ovy's skate bumped Kaspar's stick and he went down.

Still, he definitely has a goal scorers mentality and knows where to be. An easy goal for him today, but half the battle is being in the right spot.

It wasn't a dive. I saw the replay four or five times from different angles.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
WVpens said:

I have a better one. Ovechkin and Kasper are good Russian buddies, so Kasper intentionnally tripped Ovechkin in order to give Washington that 5-on-3, knowing that Ovechkin can only score on easy tap ins leeching off on all the hard work by his team mates. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad