Ovechkin is fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Personally I'd rather not see my top scorer (that's what AO will be) go out of his way to make the big hit. Survive a big hit, yes. Go into high traffic areas, yes. Take an oppurtunity to finish a hit, ok.

But your making him sound like Eric Lindros and always looking for the big hit ruined his career IMO.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
West said:
Personally I'd rather not see my top scorer (that's what AO will be) go out of his way to make the big hit. Survive a big hit, yes. Go into high traffic areas, yes. Take an oppurtunity to finish a hit, ok.

But your making him sound like Eric Lindros and always looking for the big hit ruined his career IMO.

The opposite is true. Lindros plays timid now, which makes him ineffective. His injury problems dont stem from playing hard hitting hockey, but from keeping his head down. When he was young and in his prime dishing it out, he was pretty safe.

allelsefails

Mar 31, 2004
Canton, OH
Drake1588 said:
There is a limited supply of clips to watch so far, and personally I think the jury is still out. Promising, though. Here are a few.

Ovechkin and Pitkanen:
http://www.glue.umd.edu/~gdogum/ovechkin-pitkanen.avi

Ovechkin and Tootoo:
http://www.glue.umd.edu/~gdogum/ovechkin-tootoo.avi

Ovechkin and Gonchar:
http://www.glue.umd.edu/~gdogum/ovechkin-gonchar.avi

Might need to download a DivX codec to view these. http://www.divx.com/divx/

Oh I still love that Tootoo/Ovy collision. You can see the physical reverb of it as Ovechkin shakes, retaining his balance. What a great piece of video.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
All credit for those clips, or I should say the archiving thereof, to CapitalPunishment55 and his site.

I would tend to agree with Vlad that Tuomo Ruutu is the best overtly physical young forward with loads of offensive talent that I've seen of late. Can Ovechkin become a hitter like that, a physical player like that? Perhaps... but I suspect Ovechkin's calling card will be his ability to stand up to physical play when making plays rather than a penchant for seeking it out. If someone runs him, he will probably be able to get the better of the exchange more often than not and he should be a terror on the forecheck. His physical attributes should make him fairly fearless. I don't think he'll initiate to quite the extent you see from Ruutu and I don't think he will physically intimidate other players, but he should have the size and the snarl to stand up to most anyone. Nothing wrong with that.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Drake1588 said:
All credit for those clips, or I should say the archiving thereof, to CapitalPunishment55 and his site.

I would tend to agree with Vlad that Tuomo Ruutu is the best overtly physical young forward with loads of offensive talent that I've seen of late. Can Ovechkin become a hitter like that, a physical player like that? Perhaps... but I suspect Ovechkin's calling card will be his ability to stand up to physical play when making plays rather than a penchant for seeking it out. If someone runs him, he will probably be able to get the better of the exchange more often than not and he should be a terror on the forecheck. His physical attributes should make him fairly fearless. I don't think he'll initiate to quite the extent you see from Ruutu and I don't think he will physically intimidate other players, but he should have the size and the snarl to stand up to most anyone. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree about Ruutu....he is simply a battering ram hitting anything and everything....with world class skill to boot......and I dont see Ovechkin playing quite like that.....But after seeing Ovechkin in the WC I have a feeling he will be delivering his fair share of very big hits....and very much will be on the giving side, not just being able to hold up to being hit.......he went out of his way several times to hit people, and hard, in that tourny......

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
MojoJojo said:
The opposite is true. Lindros plays timid now, which makes him ineffective. His injury problems dont stem from playing hard hitting hockey, but from keeping his head down. When he was young and in his prime dishing it out, he was pretty safe.

Lindros had injury problems above and beyond his concussions (although they have had the most cumlative effect) along with just about every other player who's been know for the big hitter (Clark, Peca, B. Lindros, Kasparitis, ect.).

Personally I'd hope AO play's a game closer to Sakic than Lindros. It'll give him a better longer career.

p.s. I can't imagine anyone calling Sakic a timid player. Although that's a good discription of Lindros now.

p.s.s. Eric got at least one of his concussions by just going head to head for a big hit and his brother Brett got most of his concussions that way to my understanding.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Mothra said:
I agree about Ruutu....he is simply a battering ram hitting anything and everything....with world class skill to boot......and I dont see Ovechkin playing quite like that.....But after seeing Ovechkin in the WC I have a feeling he will be delivering his fair share of very big hits....and very much will be on the giving side, not just being able to hold up to being hit.......he went out of his way several times to hit people, and hard, in that tourny......

I think you and Drake are right on the money.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Smokin_Al_Koken said:
Chimaera, I saw on another thread where you'd met Ovechkin (perhaps with the Caps fans who came down to Raleigh for the draft at the after party?). I also saw him in person at a pre-draft youth clinic, and at 6'3 I was looking down at him-he may be closer to 6'0. Also, he is one wiry rascal-incredibly ripped, clearly in excellent condition, but I think that the 215-220 might be a bit high. I'm thinking more 200-ish. What were your impressions?

For what it's worth, Alexandre Pichard had bigger guns :dunce:
Yeah, I saw him at the after party, and in the stadium. It was kinda weird, I was actually at a urinal next to him and his dad. Or at least, I kinda guessed that after I was done washing my hands and all. You know, guy code and not looking over. ;) Foppa_Rules, I'm not.

Well... Having shook his hand, and met him, he did look pretty solid. Especially when standing next to Malkin, who's just a rail. He looks pretty solid overall, though I have to say it's pretty hard to tell completely in a suit. He definitely looks like he has less to go to fill out then a lot of the other players did. I mean, if you look at a guy like Jeff Schultz, he's all frame, and no meat. Ovechkin looked pretty solid for the most part. I didn't get down and literally grasp his legs or anything, but I will say the were one of the things that struck me a little bit, they're definitely pretty well built.

As for the height, I'm 5'11"-ish (close to 6 foot. :)) And he was a good 2 inches taller than me, so, he's easily 6'1". The 6'3" some have reported is definitely a bit on the tall side. But once again, can't say I took a tape measure to him.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Foppa_Rules said:
Is there any way we can confirm those times? Any links?
http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?96650

EroCaps said:
At McKeens, there's a quote next to Ovechkin's #1 ranking from a scout detailing another sequence playing for Dynamo where Yushkevich tried to crush him and bounced off. AO then flattened Oleg Kvasha.
http://alexovechkin.narod.ru/video/rosa_dyn-sev_19.11.04.avi
All thanks to Slay :)
He didn't flat Kvasha, I think. But He'd used his body well and forced Oleg to lose his puck so easy. IMO.

Smokin_Al_Koken

Jun 24, 2004
Chimaera said:
Yeah, I saw him at the after party, and in the stadium. It was kinda weird, I was actually at a urinal next to him and his dad. Or at least, I kinda guessed that after I was done washing my hands and all. You know, guy code and not looking over. ;) Foppa_Rules, I'm not.

Well... Having shook his hand, and met him, he did look pretty solid. Especially when standing next to Malkin, who's just a rail. He looks pretty solid overall, though I have to say it's pretty hard to tell completely in a suit. He definitely looks like he has less to go to fill out then a lot of the other players did. I mean, if you look at a guy like Jeff Schultz, he's all frame, and no meat. Ovechkin looked pretty solid for the most part. I didn't get down and literally grasp his legs or anything, but I will say the were one of the things that struck me a little bit, they're definitely pretty well built.

As for the height, I'm 5'11"-ish (close to 6 foot. :)) And he was a good 2 inches taller than me, so, he's easily 6'1". The 6'3" some have reported is definitely a bit on the tall side. But once again, can't say I took a tape measure to him.

Cool deal, maybe I was standing on a rock or something unbeknownst to me. He and some other draftees (Pichard, Woitowski (sic), Chipchura, Barker) were hanging around after the clinic in their sweats ready to board the "prospect bus" and head back to their hotel I assume. Ovy didn't seem overbearingly huge upper body-wise, which isn't to say that he wasn't big and in great condition because he was. I'm guessing his legs are as thick as tree trunks.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Yes, the difference is only 0.03 seconds but as I know standard size of rink is 61m (200ft) by 25.5m (85ft) (In Europe rinks are 4m longer and 4m wider than in North America).

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Oh sorry, I finally found who that guy with 13,71 was, Gaborik! So the past results were of the All-Star games, I though that they were of some All-Star or special games in Russia where Kovalchuk might of participated, yes Ovechkin is very fast then.

Rinks as far as I remember are 100ft x 85ft in NA and 100ft x 100ft in Europe.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
If you paid attention to him at the world cup, you would've seen the crazy speed he had. I think he and Lisin are two of the best skaters in the world in terms of prospects. Ovechkin does it all.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
EroCaps said:
I said *one* of the league's hardest hitters. Ovechkin can't be that? Why does every major prediction for an unproven prospect=extreme homerism. It's not like I'm writing it with gold ink in the sky over every Province in Canada. :shakehead
lmao :lol:

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
WOW!!!! I thought Ovechkin was fast, but I didn't know he was THIS fast!!! Are you sure the competition was around a European-size rink? I know the rink itself was a European rink but is anybody SURE they didn't only race around part of it the size of an NHL rink or something? Did anybody see it? I just wan't to be sure, because this is amazing if it's true. This would mean that he's faster than Marian Gaborik.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
littleHossa said:
Oh sorry, I finally found who that guy with 13,71 was, Gaborik! So the past results were of the All-Star games, I though that they were of some All-Star or special games in Russia where Kovalchuk might of participated, yes Ovechkin is very fast then.

Rinks as far as I remember are 100ft x 85ft in NA and 100ft x 100ft in Europe.

I hope for your sake there's a typo in there somewhere! :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad