Ovechkin is fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
I don't know if this was posted already..

Last saturday, before the NHL vs Russia game, in the hability contest Ovechkin made the best time in the skating event.

Ovechkin 13,90 (european rink, 2004-05)
Kovalchuk 14,30 (european rink, 2004-05)
Draper 14,57 (european rink, 2004-05)

Neidermayer 13,78 (NHL rink, 2003-04)
Kovalchuk 13,93 (NHL rink, 2003-04)
St-Louis 14,07 (NHL rink, 2003-04)

Gaborik 13,71 (NHL rink, 2002-03)

Pretty impressive!

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Yeah he really really is. And the sick part is that his hands are as fast as his feet. Washington will be happy with this kid. Big, fast, talented, strong, physical, and can find the defensive zone. Pretty much the perfect package.

I have seen clips of him dangling the puck and taking it through players at top speed as well. Just sick...

Assuming Kovalchuk skated the same in both races, If Ovvy were to do the same he'd be looking at 13.54 in a NA rink.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
HOLY CRAP is right.

I've seen some tapes, seen him play, but man. He's got the jets.

To be 6'2"ish 215-220 solid, and be that fast is crazy.

I've seen him dangle in traffic, and he's certainly got the top end puck control you'd like to see.

I figured he was pretty quick, but to put it down in the numbers... that's plain ridiculous.

I.am.ca

what sergei wasn't in the speed competition? I would like to see how Koltsov (konstantin) would do in a speed competition.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Chimaera said:
HOLY CRAP is right.

I've seen him dangle in traffic, and he's certainly got the top end puck control you'd like to see.

I figured he was pretty quick, but to put it down in the numbers... that's plain ridiculous.

Has the league's fastest skating forward ever been one of the league's hardest hitting forwards? Look out.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
EroCaps said:
Has the league's fastest skating forward ever been one of the league's hardest hitting forwards? Look out.
There is noway in hell Ovechkin will ever be able to hit in the same league as Peca, Phaneuf or Blake. That is homer talk.

Reactions: Casanova

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
JasonMacIsaac said:
There is noway in hell Ovechkin will ever be able to hit in the same league as Peca, Phaneuf or Blake. That is homer talk.

Phaneuf and Blake aren't forwards, friend.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
JasonMacIsaac said:
OK then....replace Blake and Phaneuf with Morrow, Tootoo, Roberts, Hartnell and Bertuzzi.

I said *one* of the league's hardest hitters. Ovechkin can't be that? Why does every major prediction for an unproven prospect=extreme homerism. It's not like I'm writing it with gold ink in the sky over every Province in Canada. :shakehead

Reactions: Casanova

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
EroCaps said:
I said *one* of the league's hardest hitters. Ovechkin can't be that? Why does every major prediction for an unproven prospect=extreme homerism. It's not like I'm writing it with gold ink in the sky over every Province in Canada. :shakehead
Because he doesn't have that upside in him. He can be an allround offensive force, decent defense with a physical game. Not one of the hardest hitters in the league.

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
I'll disagree; anyone who can lay out Sergei Gonchar in the manner he did definitely has it "in him" to be one of the hardest hitting forwards in the league.

Last edited:

Smokin_Al_Koken

Jun 24, 2004
Chimaera said:
HOLY CRAP is right.

Chimaera, I saw on another thread where you'd met Ovechkin (perhaps with the Caps fans who came down to Raleigh for the draft at the after party?). I also saw him in person at a pre-draft youth clinic, and at 6'3 I was looking down at him-he may be closer to 6'0. Also, he is one wiry rascal-incredibly ripped, clearly in excellent condition, but I think that the 215-220 might be a bit high. I'm thinking more 200-ish. What were your impressions?

For what it's worth, Alexandre Pichard had bigger guns :dunce:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Thornton97 said:
I'll disagree; anyone who can lay out Sergei Gonchar in the manner he did definitely has it "in him" to be one of the hardest hitting forwards in the league.
Yeah, he'll be hard hitting and fast enough to catch them.He'll be one of the best
all-around players in the game and probably the best Russian ever as far as
adapting to the NHL game.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
OK then....replace Blake and Phaneuf with Morrow, Tootoo, Roberts, Hartnell and Bertuzzi.

Isnt there a video clip where Tootoo lines him up with a big open ice hit....and its Tootoo that gets the worst of it (he hits the ice and ovechkin is still on his skates and in the play)

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Thornton97 said:

The manner in which he layed out Gonchar demonstrated more that he was a clever hitter and a good skater than a "hard hitter".

I'd like to see a couple more hits by Ovechkin and get a better read on his hitting power. There's no way you read much of that on the Gonchar hit.

There are a couple of big league hitters out there. Don't know if Ovechkin can be among the best. Certainly can't say from the Gonchar hit but for one, I've seen an up and comer like Ruutu do even better and that's not to mention established NHLer.

I really like Ruutu because he is both a powerful AND a clever hitter.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia

Smokin_Al_Koken

Jun 24, 2004
Vlad The Impaler said:
The manner in which he layed out Gonchar demonstrated more that he was a clever hitter and a good skater than a "hard hitter".

I'd like to see a couple more hits by Ovechkin and get a better read on his hitting power. There's no way you read much of that on the Gonchar hit.

There are a couple of big league hitters out there. Don't know if Ovechkin can be among the best. Certainly can't say from the Gonchar hit but for one, I've seen an up and comer like Ruutu do even better and that's not to mention established NHLer.

I really like Ruutu because he is both a powerful AND a clever hitter.

this is a good post, and agreed on Ruutu...man I'd love to have him on the Caps. Especially after that sick, sick goal in the WC when he thoroughly undressed Niedermeyer.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
JasonMacIsaac said:
Because he doesn't have that upside in him. He can be an allround offensive force, decent defense with a physical game. Not one of the hardest hitters in the league.

Each time I've seen Ovechkin play, he's been the hardest hitting player on the ice. That includes the WC where he was laying out adults. He most certainly does have that upside. At McKeens, there's a quote next to Ovechkin's #1 ranking from a scout detailing another sequence playing for Dynamo where Yushkevich tried to crush him and bounced off. AO then flattened Oleg Kvasha. He may or may never be as ferocious as Ruutu, but he's strong as hell and can definitely lay a hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad