Out of Town Thread: Can Someone Spare Some Goals for Habs, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Subban was pretty average defensively at the same age too. I really do believe Sergachev has all the tools to become a bona fide 1st pairing dman.
This I agree with. He had this really bad habit to have his head down all the time, but man he looks good. I was sad to see he was the one we had traded but we got ourselves a good one in Drouin.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
This I agree with. He had this really bad habit to have his head down all the time, but man he looks good. I was sad to see he was the one we had traded but we got ourselves a good one in Drouin.

Just curious as to why you're conflating Subban and Drouin. Losing one and obtaining the other have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Subban - Weber
Drouin - Sergachev

Lorty

May 7, 2013
A healthy TBL is dangerous. I can see them going far in the playoffs.

It's amazing watching good teams play hockey... seeing the Habs make them seem like an ECHL team or something.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Holy hell, 6-0 mid game for the Bolts against Pittsburgh. 2 goals and 3 points for Kucherov. He's unstoppable.

The Leafs are building a very good team and Leaf fans have visions of Stanley Cups dancing in their heads but they're gonna have to deal with Tampa for the next few years and that ain't gonna be easy.

Reactions: Hope Of Glory

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Drouin better step up......'cause this will get very ugly...very very soon. For someboy like me who has witness lopsided deals like the Roy deal....the Leclair-Desjardins deal, the McDonagh deal....you have to f***ing hope that the Sergachev deal is not another one of them. Incredible that our most lopsided deal is Kovalev.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Jul 6, 2016
Sergachev for Drouin.

Another very risky move that MB has done over the last two seasons.

Hopefully, Drouin will be able to show his stuff. But a d-man like Sergachev was a mega price to pay for him.

Subban, Sergachev, Markov, ..... I am kind of sad.

Of course, Sergachev and Subban are super well surrounded and well coached too.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
The problem right now is that we can't look at this deal in a vacuum. Sergachev is playing on a team that looks built to compete for the cup. He has talent, can't argue that. Would he be producing like he is on this Habs roster? That is something I just can't answer.

The big problem with this is that MB yet again doesn't identify need. He trades a potential top flight LHD, which the Habs were so desperate for, even before letting Markov walk (If Mete didn't have the training camp he did, wtf would we have right now?) and trades for a winger. If Drouin can actually develop into a center, which I for some reason have my reservations about this, then this trade won't be so bad. However it is yet another inept move by a GM 3 years passed his expiry date. He fooled a lot of people, thank god for some of you on this board, because the people in my entourage all defended him and Therrien at every god damn f***ing step.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
The problem right now is that we can't look at this deal in a vacuum. Sergachev is playing on a team that looks built to compete for the cup. He has talent, can't argue that. Would he be producing like he is on this Habs roster? That is something I just can't answer.

The big problem with this is that MB yet again doesn't identify need. He trades a potential top flight LHD, which the Habs were so desperate for, even before letting Markov walk (If Mete didn't have the training camp he did, wtf would we have right now?) and trades for a winger. If Drouin can actually develop into a center, which I for some reason have my reservations about this, then this trade won't be so bad. However it is yet another inept move by a GM 3 years passed his expiry date. He fooled a lot of people, thank god for some of you on this board, because the people in my entourage all defended him and Therrien at every god damn ****ing step.

It's not about what Sergachev does now. It's about what he can give when this team will be good. And it's all about how a GM envisions his D to be. Says a lot about his analysis of the situation. Subban, Sergachev, Markov and now Mete...that's what you have to believe a D squad should be build. The deal in itself can be fine. But trading a D-man prospect as good as Sergachev is, while you ultimately knew there was a chance to not get Markov, and trading him for a guy you have NO IDEA if he would serve the purpose you would need him to serve, being a centerman, is a shitty way to manage a team.

Reactions: CrAzYNiNe

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Sergachev for Drouin.

Another very risky move that MB has done over the last two seasons.

Hopefully, Drouin will be able to show his stuff. But a d-man like Sergachev was a mega price to pay for him.

Subban, Sergachev, Markov, ..... I am kind of sad.

Of course, Sergachev and Subban are super well surrounded and well coached too.

The difference is that Sergachev is going to a team with defensive depth and quality, a dynamic offense that has 2 40+ goals scorer. While Drouin is coming to that shit show the Montreal Canadiens are.

Reactions: CrAzYNiNe

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
If the Habs wanted Drouin, they could have gotten him for lower price than Sergachev. Galchenyuk + 1 pick would have been sufficient. Drouin was obvioulsy on the way out. Things just didn't work out for him in Tampa. He was in the doghouse, all the time. When JD was paired with Kucherov, he looked phenomenal. Yet he consistently played with lesser linemates. It was clear Yzerman didn't have long term plans for him. To give a divisional rival a guy like Sergachev is RIDICULOUS. If the mgt didn't believe in Sergachev, it's fine - Colorado would have likely parted with Duchene for Serg and a Gachenyuk. Why, why trade him to Tampa?????????????????

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
It's not about what Sergachev does now. It's about what he can give when this team will be good. And it's all about how a GM envisions his D to be. Says a lot about his analysis of the situation. Subban, Sergachev, Markov and now Mete...that's what you have to believe a D squad should be build. The deal in itself can be fine. But trading a D-man prospect as good as Sergachev is, while you ultimately knew there was a chance to not get Markov, and trading him for a guy you have NO IDEA if he would serve the purpose you would need him to serve, being a centerman, is a ****ty way to manage a team.

I totally agree. Sergachev looked to be the future of this franchise, and I have a certain affinity for defensemen over wingers. Drouin was acquired because he was a top end Quebec talent that was available in the market. IMO if he was from anywhere but Quebec, that deal would have never been done. The guy isn't a center; played one overage year in the Q as a center, which doesn't say a lot. Worst yet is he didn't fill a hole and created another 2 (no markov or Sergachev or Beaulieu or Emelin). His predessesor did the same thing in 2011-2012 by not retaining wiz and Hamrlik while Markov was injured.

So many of us fans saw this coming... It's incredible that he didn't.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
If the Habs wanted Drouin, they could have gotten him for lower price than Sergachev. Galchenyuk + 1 pick would have been sufficient. Drouin was obvioulsy on the way out. Things just didn't work out for him in Tampa. He was in the doghouse, all the time. When JD was paired with Kucherov, he looked phenomenal. Yet he consistently played with lesser linemates. It was clear Yzerman didn't have long term plans for him. To give a divisional rival a guy like Sergachev is RIDICULOUS. If the mgt didn't believe in Sergachev, it's fine - Colorado would have likely parted with Duchene for Serg and a Gachenyuk. Why, why trade him to Tampa?????????????????

To appease the crowd with a local boy.
Bergevin's little mind games.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

True and yet that totally didn't work out. At one point, when you keep doing things that don't work out, it means that you are just not good enough. But since he was hired and given 5 years by the other idiot, they understand each other and believe everything will work out fine.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Drouin is a fantastic player. As I said, when paired with Kucherov, he looked like an all star. So talented, dangerous, exciting. But he is not THE GUY. He's a great second line player who can drive the opposing D nuts. He's a huge asset to the Habs and should not be underestimated. If JD is ever surrounded by talented guys, he'll do well. BUT he could be had for a lot less than Sergachev. That's the problem. Tampa wanted to get rid of Drouin, no matter what they said. Why trade your blue-chip defensive prospect for a guy who was on the way out anyway?

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
True and yet that totally didn't work out. At one point, when you keep doing things that don't work out, it means that you are just not good enough. But since he was hired and given 5 years by the other idiot, they understand each other and believe everything will work out fine.

Someone needs to attach the "everything is fine" cartoon from Blou :laugh:

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

Yeah!
I didn't mind the Drouin/Sergachev trade as long as you surround him with skill and talent, but no...Bergevin thought Streit, Morrow, Schlemko would replace Markov hockey IQ and offense as a group. None of them can hold a regular spot on the worst team in the league. Bergevin though Hudon and Hemsky would make up for the Radulov loss.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Didn't Yzerman want a blue chip defensive prospect for Drouin so why would he accept Galchenyuk and a 1st? Didn't Yzerman also need to cut salary so trading for an RFA in Galchneyuk who really wasn't a need also didn't make much sense for him.

I'd also rather the Sergachev for Drouin trade than the rumoured asking price of Sergachev + Galchenyuk+ 1st for Duchene. Even though Duchene would fill more of a need I believe Drouin will be a better player than Duchene going forward and he cost less to obtain.

Reactions: llamateizer

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
The Leafs are building a very good team and Leaf fans have visions of Stanley Cups dancing in their heads but they're gonna have to deal with Tampa for the next few years and that ain't gonna be easy.

I don't know if they are dancing yet, Tampa Bay was ranked better than them to win the division before the season started and I'm sure they know it.

Tampa Bay, Leafs, and underrated Ottawa are the best of the Atlantic division. All tough teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad