Out Of Town Scoreboard III Playoffs,Discussion,Schedule,Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I said it last year, I said it this year, these are not the same Hawks.

Someone mentioned during the last game that Rinne and Smith are the only goalies to shutout the Hawks at home during their championship era.

But if the Hawks don't win the cup this year, is this still part of their championship era? It wouldn't be the longest they've went without winning the cup since they won in 2010. They did lose in the first round in 2011 and 2012.

But if they don't win the cup this year or next year, that would be the longest drought in their recent cup era.

I figured they'd win this series after going out in round 1 last year. Rinne looks a lot better than he did last year and in most years. Even when he was good in 14-15 in the regular season, he was meh in the playoffs that year. Let in quite a few bad goals in one of those games. They were just showing highlights from one of those 2015 games. He was also awful against the Sharks last year. You know who was really good for the Sharks in that series though? Shea Weber. He's been pretty good for the Rangers this series too, that big slow sack of ****.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Polak is awful.

He's one of these dinosaur age grenade handlers that Lou still loves in the year 2017.

The Leafs are probably better off without him in the lineup.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If the Capitals don't score soon, I'm gonna start to the get those vibes I got when the Panthers played the Islanders in OT last year. Where I knew no matter how many chances the Panthers had, the Islanders would eventually win it.

I felt that way about the Sharks in one of the OT games against Nashville.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Bad luck for Carlson there losing his stick.

Two biggest surprises of the playoffs so far: Lundqvist outplaying Price and Andersen outplaying Holtby. If the laffs make it past the Caps they will get throttled by the pens.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Meh underachieving Capitals underachieve.

This series looks like it's gonna go on longer than it really should.

Not only in the number of games played, in OT mileage too. Craps play another half a game tonight, only to lose in OT.

It's really Pittsburgh's conference to lose. I think the Capitals are gonna win this series, but they're already showing signs of meh.

It's already rearing it's ugly head, how typical of them. They seem to lose a lot in OT in the playoffs too.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bad luck for Carlson there losing his stick.

Two biggest surprises of the playoffs so far: Lundqvist outplaying Price and Andersen outplaying Holtby. If the laffs make it past the Caps they will get throttled by the pens.

I think the Caps will get throttled by the Pens too. If it lasts any more than 6 games, I'd be shocked. As long as Fleury doesn't revert to 2009-2013 playoffs Fleury again.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't believe I picked the Capitals in 5. Feel free to laugh in my face for that one. I'm even more embarrassed by picking the Capitals to win any series in 5 games than I am by predicting Minnesota and Chicago to win their series, which now looks like both will lose after being beaten in both games at home so far. Those series were crapshoots to me, especially Minnesota and St Louis.

The correct formula for predicting a Capitals series is by guessing how many games it SHOULD take the Capitals to win a playoff series and then adding at least one more game to that.

So if the Caps should win in 5, better off predicting them to win in 6 or 7. That's the mistake I made.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Toronto is going to be really good in the future. I think it has more to do with them as opposed to the Caps choking.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Toronto is going to be really good in the future. I think it has more to do with them as opposed to the Caps choking.

Don't flatter yourself. We hear the same god damn thing every year about the Capitals. It's become a long standing trend and tradition.

It's almost like the Capitals exist just to lose to teams we don't like or keep them in series longer than they should be. They fall and lay down in the middle of the road against the Rangers all the time, they let the Flyers last at least a game longer than they should, they let the Islanders last a game longer than they should.

They're such a joke franchise that I'm surprised they haven't reduced themselves to celebrating the Presidents Trophy winning teams anniversary's, like cup winning franchises celebrate a 20th anniversary cup win like we did in 2015 for the 1995 team. They should just parade the Presidents Trophy down Pennsylvania avenue when their season ends.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

The leafs look ok, but honestly this is about Andersen going god mode for 2 games. He can't keep this up, but he might be able to make it through this series. And that is scary, because it means the pens are going to have a cakewalk to the ECF.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I cannot stand Toronto. They are becoming just so unlikable due to their fan base. I feel like every player on the team is just God's gift to us all. You get guys who are just middle of the road players being talked about like potential 30-40 goal scorers like Soshnikov or Hyman, it's bizarre.

Also side note: Cordell irritates the hell out of me when he talks about Toronto. All I hear about on twitter is Kapanen, Nylander, etc., like dude chill.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I really truly believe that the Blue Jackets could beat the Capitals in a playoff series.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
The Caps have everything they need this year. Their possession numbers finally support their place in the standings.

If they lose to the Leafs it's a failure of character and they should trade everyone. They'll never win win with this core if they can't now.

But I don't think that will happen.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The Caps have everything they need this year. Their possession numbers finally support their place in the standings.

If they lose to the Leafs it's a failure of character and they should trade everyone. They'll never win win with this core if they can't now.

I think they'll win, though.

To me, they have clearly been the better team both games. The leafs have spurts, but the Caps carry much more of the play and manufacture more and better opportunities. Holtby doesn't look quite right, and Andersen is on a ridiculous streak of unsustainable amazingness. I just hope that turns around next game. If it does, the Caps will be fine. If not, I'll have to see the damn pens in yet another ECF playing a total of 8 games to get there.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I cannot stand Toronto. They are becoming just so unlikable due to their fan base. I feel like every player on the team is just God's gift to us all. You get guys who are just middle of the road players being talked about like potential 30-40 goal scorers like Soshnikov or Hyman, it's bizarre.

Also side note: Cordell irritates the hell out of me when he talks about Toronto. All I hear about on twitter is Kapanen, Nylander, etc., like dude chill.

Their fanbase is like Clubber Lang, if you're familiar with Rocky 3. Clubber Lang talked all this **** and went on TV and told everyone how he was the best. One of my favorite quotes in that movie is one that's so under the radar and not even memorable was when Apollo Creed tells Rocky something like ''I can't wait to watch this bum fall''.

I can already see their pompous fanbase telling Pens fans ''After we crucify the Craps, you're next!''

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
To me, they have clearly been the better team both games. The leafs have spurts, but the Caps carry much more of the play and manufacture more and better opportunities. Holtby doesn't look quite right, and Andersen is on a ridiculous streak of unsustainable amazingness. I just hope that turns around next game. If it does, the Caps will be fine. If not, I'll have to see the damn pens in yet another ECF playing a total of 8 games to get there.

Capitals were the best defensive team in the NHL and the Leafs still managed 50 shots. The baby leafs can skate really well and can counter after long Cap possession stretches.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

But I don't think that will happen.

It's funny how the Sharks were always called the chokers, which I don't disagree with. At least they made the the conference finals TWICE with this current core though, and then eventually another conference finals and the SCF last year.

The Craps haven't made the conference finals in the Ovechkin/Backstrom era. I'm not sure how many overtimes Ovechkin has played in, but I remember seeing Holtby was 7-9 in playoff OT before tonight. And Ovechkin has been there 4 playoff years before Holtby, so it's gotta be over 20 by now. And he's never scored a playoff OT goal, for all the goals he's scored and all the OT goals he's scored in the regular season, which might be the most of all time at this point.

And when the Capitals take every series they play at least one game longer (no counting wasted OT minutes) than it should go, even the ones they win, it's easy to see why they don't get to the conference finals.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Capitals were the best defensive team in the NHL and the Leafs still managed 50 shots. The baby leafs can skate really well and can counter after long Cap possession stretches.
The fact that the Leafs outplayed the Capitals that badly is even more of an indictment on the Craps. I'm sorry to not give the opponent credit, but we're FAR past the ''Give the opponent credit'' stage when it comes to the Capitals in the playoffs. Far past it.

It's like giving credit to all the teams for killing the Sharks penalties and the Oilers for generating all those shorthanded chances last night and scoring on two of them. Too large of a sample size of the Sharks PP being JUNK this season for me to give credit to the other teams.
I wouldn't count the Wild out, either. Allan has a .971 save percentage. That won't continue.
They can still win, I don't change prediction's after 2 games typically.

I think it's safe to say that if they don't take both games in St Louis, they're probably gonna lose the series. I don't see them coming back from 3 games to 0 or 3 games to 1. That's even considering that St Louis has some playoff issues of their own. Not to the point of the Capitals though. And even Minnesota has their own playoff demons and they have the godfather of those early Ovechkin era Caps teams, who has taken his baggage of bad juju with him to his last destination.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
If the Caps lose do they fire Trotz? What else can the team do honestly? You can't trade the core but they haven't won anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad