OT: Our PDO sucks. Let's lighten the mood! Free Slurpees & Bagel Brawls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
im not a movie theater buff so i dont go too often. i think the last time i went was to see "shawshank".....i told my old lady that i didnt want to go see that movie because i knew it would be more bull**** than true. we went to the movies and after about 30 minutes i told her "its time to go....this is bull****". and after i explained to our friends who went with us why it was a load of crap, they understood. morgan freeman never would have met tim rollins in prison in those days. prisons were segregated!! they never would have met!!!
video games? i dont waste my time. i would rather watch grass grow or paint dry.
music? i listen to thrash metal or the blues ( overkill or buddy guy or jeff beck ).
tv shows? come on man, im a kid from the 60s 70s and 80s....adam 12, emergency, toma, barretta, barney miller, mash, taxi, soap.......there was all kinds of good stuff back then.
i did like the sopranos, and game of thrones, but you can have the rest of it.
You must be fun at parties

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
You must be fun at parties
and you must be an idiot.......
all i did was point out facts that were wrong in the movie....when everyone said it was a "factual" or "realistic" movie. i spent 19 years in prison, and i can tell you first hand that it is nothing like that movie.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
all i did was point out facts that were wrong in the movie....when everyone said it was a "factual" or "realistic" movie. i spent 19 years in prison, and i can tell you first hand that it is nothing like that movie.
It was a joke. Relax.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
im not a movie theater buff so i dont go too often. i think the last time i went was to see "shawshank".....i told my old lady that i didnt want to go see that movie because i knew it would be more bull**** than true. we went to the movies and after about 30 minutes i told her "its time to go....this is bull****". and after i explained to our friends who went with us why it was a load of crap, they understood. morgan freeman never would have met tim rollins in prison in those days. prisons were segregated!! they never would have met!!!
video games? i dont waste my time. i would rather watch grass grow or paint dry.
music? i listen to thrash metal or the blues ( overkill or buddy guy or jeff beck ).
tv shows? come on man, im a kid from the 60s 70s and 80s....adam 12, emergency, toma, barretta, barney miller, mash, taxi, soap.......there was all kinds of good stuff back then.
i did like the sopranos, and game of thrones, but you can have the rest of it.

Man I got a smile on my face, I don't feel so old now, I find Shawshank overrated but not for that reason, just never got into it.

Today's TV shows are superior to the old shows where things constantly start and end the same way, no progression, I hated watching TV as a kid... Soap was a great show, Happy Days was great because I was young and naive, Dallas was intriguing, but to me TV was restored with HBO

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
To me, this is like saying Wayne Gretzky wasn't that good.

And the ending with the song "My Baby Blue" was just perfect.

Best Shows of all time
1. Breaking Bad
2. Seinfeld
3. Everything else

One of the best use of songs in a movie/TV Show, and yet the 2nd best usage of song in that series.. Crystal Blue Persuasion in the episode where Walt's business grows astronomically was a huge payoff and that song was well played.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Agree 100 percent. I hear people call it the best show of all time, but I just don't see it. It was a very good show, but it doesn't come close to sopranos in terms of nuance, story, character depth, and attention to detail. The show lacks the depth of true greats like Sopranos, Wire, S1 TD, and even the first 3 seasons of Boardwalk empire. It's simply not that interesting after multiple viewings, wheres those other shows, I'm still noticing things I didn't notice before. I watch the entire series of sopranos at least once a year, and even after 10-15 years, I'm still picking up on things that I didn't notice before.

I think BB was special when it first premiered, because they always left you with cliffhangers, always left you wondering whats going to happen in the next scene, and episode. Once you know all that stuff after seeing it once, the surprise is over, and you're not as drawn into the story.

This is how I rate these shows:
Sopranos 10/10
Wire 9.6/10
Boardwalk empire S1-s3: 9.5/10; S1-S5: 8.6/10
S1 True Detective: 9.3/10

Breaking bad 8.8/10
the wonder years: 8.5/10

I like Sopranos a lot but that show had a lot of wasted episodes and was really predicated on what character will die next and most of what made Sopranos great were the shock value scenes, like Tony beating Ralph to death, or Tony beating up a younger guy to prove he still had it... It was a great show but to me Breaking Bad had the best character development of any show ever, and that is what made that show superior in so many ways to anything.

To me the show on HBO that was the richest show was oddly Big Love, that show had so many storylines going on at once and really had incredible acting.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I love the use of song in movies or shows, this would be my top list

1. Flashbacks of a Fool using Roxy Music - If there is Something - this was a mediocre movie with Daniel Craig and the breakout performance of Felicity Jones, but the use of this song in the movie was at another level that really made the movie

2. Boogie Nights - Sister Christian (Night Ranger) and Jessie's Girl (Rick Springfield) - great use of nostalgic cheesy songs with Albert Molina snorting fake coke in his underwear and dancing in front of the 3 guys

3. Sopranos - Don't Stop Believing (Journey) - the ultimate cryptic ending to a series and that song has never been heard the same way again

4. Breaking Bad - Crystal Blue Persuasion (Tommy James) - the climax of the series

5. Goodfellas - Layla (Derek & the Dominoes) - Scorsese mastered the use of the instrumental parts of the song for gain, and the whole end of the movie had the solo part playing in the background

6. Swingers - Magic Man (Heart) - one of the best songs ever made but used in that uncanny trailer scene with Jon Favreau and the girl when he ruins the night

7. Valley Girl - Oldest STory in the World (Plimpsouls) - a great band and this song is played when Nicolas Cage's character hits bottom, very well timed

8. Baby Driver - The Harlem Shuffle (Bob & Ray) - OK movie, but the song was well choreographed and times to the movement of the characters

9. Full Metal Jacket - These Boots are Made for Walking (Nancy Sinatra) - after the heaviness of boot camp, the foray into Vietnam and the hookers with this song, was great use

10. Amongst Friends - Innocent Child (Big Audio Dynamite) - unheralded and underrated Long Island film by Rob Weiss (Entourage) about spoiled Jewish kids in the 5 Towns and how far they went wrong and flashbacks to childhood with this song were impactful

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Today's TV shows are superior to the old shows where things constantly start and end the same way, no progression, I hated watching TV as a kid... Soap was a great show, Happy Days was great because I was young and naive, Dallas was intriguing, but to me TV was restored with HBO
the only thing that f***ed up tv in the old days was that every show had to have a message to the kids. you liked "happy days"....i did too for about the first season and a half. thats about when fonzie took over. every episode had too have a message. when richie had a party at his house with a live band playing, the neighbors wouldnt let their kids go to the party because the band had a "negro" drummer. ( his name was "sticks" ) and fonzie taught the kids that racism isnt "cool". i dont need a "message" being sent to me during a sit-com....just make me laugh.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
the only thing that ****ed up tv in the old days was that every show had to have a message to the kids. you liked "happy days"....i did too for about the first season and a half. thats about when fonzie took over. every episode had too have a message. when richie had a party at his house with a live band playing, the neighbors wouldnt let their kids go to the party because the band had a "negro" drummer. ( his name was "sticks" ) and fonzie taught the kids that racism isnt "cool". i dont need a "message" being sent to me during a sit-com....just make me laugh.

I was very young when Happy Days was big, the show that changed TV was Soap actually, that show broke barriers, and Showtime actually had the first shows before HBO, there was a show on in the 80's with Jack Wagner where he got stoned all the time. HBO's first show was Dream On, which was inventive

I think what screwed up TV in the old days was that it was fed to middle America and we had to watch Waltons, Little House on the Prairie, Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith...

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
I think what screwed up TV in the old days was that it was fed to middle America and we had to watch Waltons, Little House on the Prairie, Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith...
and all those shows had a message at the end. my sister loved michael landon, so i was forced to watch little house, then mash ( which i liked watching ) and then i could turn on monday night football. believe me buddy, ive heard all the michael landon speeches ill ever need!!
jed did the same with jethro, elly, or granny.
and the andy griffith show ( mayberry FRD ) was the worst!!!! "well, you see op, what you saw today wasnt right because......"

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
and all those shows had a message at the end. my sister loved michael landon, so i was forced to watch little house, then mash ( which i liked watching ) and then i could turn on monday night football. believe me buddy, ive heard all the michael landon speeches ill ever need!!
jed did the same with jethro, elly, or granny.
and the andy griffith show ( mayberry FRD ) was the worst!!!! "well, you see op, what you saw today wasnt right because......"

I guess that is what the advertisers wanted back then, that is why reruns of these shows seem tedious. So odd we went from the feel good shows like that to reality cutthroat TV in 40 years

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
there was a "reality" show made in australia that sent 3 people to some god forsaken remote ass island and left them there to survive on their own for a year. after the year was up, they all returned to australia just to find out that the show was canceled after three months because nobody cared!!!

they spent a year on some bullshit island, and didnt even get a box of rice-a-roni for doing it.......

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

1. Flashbacks of a Fool using Roxy Music - If there is Something - this was a mediocre movie with Daniel Craig and the breakout performance of Felicity Jones, but the use of this song in the movie was at another level that really made the movie

2. Boogie Nights - Sister Christian (Night Ranger) and Jessie's Girl (Rick Springfield) - great use of nostalgic cheesy songs with Albert Molina snorting fake coke in his underwear and dancing in front of the 3 guys

3. Sopranos - Don't Stop Believing (Journey) - the ultimate cryptic ending to a series and that song has never been heard the same way again

4. Breaking Bad - Crystal Blue Persuasion (Tommy James) - the climax of the series

5. Goodfellas - Layla (Derek & the Dominoes) - Scorsese mastered the use of the instrumental parts of the song for gain, and the whole end of the movie had the solo part playing in the background

6. Swingers - Magic Man (Heart) - one of the best songs ever made but used in that uncanny trailer scene with Jon Favreau and the girl when he ruins the night

7. Valley Girl - Oldest STory in the World (Plimpsouls) - a great band and this song is played when Nicolas Cage's character hits bottom, very well timed

8. Baby Driver - The Harlem Shuffle (Bob & Ray) - OK movie, but the song was well choreographed and times to the movement of the characters

9. Full Metal Jacket - These Boots are Made for Walking (Nancy Sinatra) - after the heaviness of boot camp, the foray into Vietnam and the hookers with this song, was great use

10. Amongst Friends - Innocent Child (Big Audio Dynamite) - unheralded and underrated Long Island film by Rob Weiss (Entourage) about spoiled Jewish kids in the 5 Towns and how far they went wrong and flashbacks to childhood with this song were impactful
Great point that is very underrated. BTW, Apocalypse Now would be at the top of the list for me. It grabs you right at the start with the napalm explosions and The Doors' "The End", and then Wagner during the helicopter attack, "Satisfaction", etc. etc.. Best ever, IMO.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Well it looks like the bitterness of the board has found its way in here. Grow up.

Anybody watch the new Netflix Cloverfield movie? I thought it was pretty underwhelming.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Great point that is very underrated. BTW, Apocalypse Now would be at the top of the list for me. It grabs you right at the start with the napalm explosions and The Doors' "The End", and then Wagner during the helicopter attack, "Satisfaction", etc. etc.. Best ever, IMO.

The End is very explosive in that movie, and I believe Susie Q being used at some point when the dancers arrive... that movie is underrated

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
pretty shocking we're still tied for the last playoff spot, feels like we don't deserve it, Albeit the other teams around us have less games played

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Shawshank is a film adaptation of Steven Kings novella Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption from the book Different Seasons. In the book, Morgan Freeman’s character, Ellis Boyd "Red" Redding, was a white guy with red hair, hence the nickname red. It’s a decent story if you can ignore Hollywood’s need to rewrite history. Speaking of rewriting history, I loved Quinton Tarantino’s, Inglorious Bastards.

NYI13

Dec 9, 2009
Long Island
Shawshank is a film adaptation of Steven Kings novella Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption from the book Different Seasons. In the book, Morgan Freeman’s character, Ellis Boyd "Red" Redding, was a white guy with red hair, hence the nickname red. It’s a decent story if you can ignore Hollywood’s need to rewrite history. Speaking of rewriting history, I loved Quinton Tarantino’s, Inglorious Bastards.
Loved Inglorious Bastards as well. Django Unchained was awesome too!

Reactions: eoin92

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

A guy digs a hole through a three foot wall with a tiny rock hammer and nobody notices and then uses a rock to break through a sewer pipe and make a hole big enough to crawl through and you have a problem with the fact that they weren't segregated? For reals?:help:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Don't forget the episode of Blacklist that ended with God's Gonna Cut You Down by Johnny Cash. I bought the song instantly lol. I know you were just talking about movies, but somehow Blacklist stands out in my mind as always picking the perfect song for the moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad