Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I believe it's this:

BoucherFace.gif

Who wouldn't be entertained for a season by that? Come on.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Via the Post-Gazette: Rutherford has given Buffalo and San Jose permission to discuss coaching positions with Bylsma — New Jersey GM Ray Shero also is believed to have gotten clearance to talk to Bylsma and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton coach John Hynes about the Devils coaching job, although Rutherford would not confirm that — and Rutherford has not ruled out seeking compensation if another team hires him.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Via the Post-Gazette: Rutherford has given Buffalo and San Jose permission to discuss coaching positions with Bylsma — New Jersey GM Ray Shero also is believed to have gotten clearance to talk to Bylsma and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton coach John Hynes about the Devils coaching job, although Rutherford would not confirm that — and Rutherford has not ruled out seeking compensation if another team hires him.

It's very weird to be receiving updates on our General Manager's activities. I applaud Shero's actions.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Really would prefer for Shero to not hire Bylsma again. He clung onto Bylsma too long in Pittsburg. Try something different in my opinion.

I could be completely wrong, as this is just a total guess, but I would be shocked if bylsma ended up in NJ. Don't think it'll happen

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Was just looking over Hynes resume again

In his 5th season as the head coach of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
Has led WBS to back-to-back Eastern Conference Final appearances

Was named AHL Coach of the Year in 2010-11 when he helped WBS win its 1st-ever Macgregor Kilpatrick Trophy as AHL regular-season champions

His teams in WBS have won 40-plus games in each of his first 4 seasons
His teams have allowed the fewest goals in the AHL in 3 of his 4 years behind the bench

Reached 100 AHL wins in the 2nd-fewest games in league history (152 games)

Led dramatic playoff comeback, defeating the Providence Bruins in 7 games after trailing 3-0 in the second-round series in 2013. Became only 3rd team in AHL history to overcome a 3-0 deficit

Named co-coach for Western Conference All Star Squad at 2011 AHL All-Star Classic

Served as WBS assistant coach for 1 season (2009-10) before being promoted to head coach

Coached 6 years in the United States National Team Development Program, leading the U.S. Under-18 Team to 3 World Under-18 Championship medals (Gold, 2006; Silver, ’04; Bronze, ’08)

Head coach of the U.S. team at the 2008 World Junior Championship and was an assistant coach on the U.S. squad that won a gold medal at the 2004 World Junior Championship

Worked as an assistant coach at UMass-Lowell and the University of Wisconsin
Began coaching career as a graduate assistant at his alma mater Boston University with legendary coach Jack Parker

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
So he has the potential but he has never coached at the NHL level. If we retain both Oates and Stevens as assistants who can ease him into the NHL I would have no issue with this hiring.

BulletTheBlueSky

Feb 25, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
I am not overly familiar with any of the coaches other than when I saw them play the Devils and in the playoffs. One thing I don't want the Devils to do is overestimate Bylsma considering the teams he had when he was winning. Perhaps that is testament to Shero more so than Bylsma. I originally was hoping for Mclellan considering his long-term success, the man is proven. Now that he is gone Boucher seems the most exciting option....

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It depends what you want. Hynes seems like a long term hire. Boucher more of a transitional guy.

Everything I read about Hynes I like. No NHL experience but he has great pro experience in the AHL.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It depends what you want. Hynes seems like a long term hire. Boucher more of a transitional guy.

Everything I read about Hynes I like. No NHL experience but he has great pro experience in the AHL.

I feel like this team needs a Boucher for the next few years and then they should hire a guy like Hynes.

However, I would take either. I really like everything I've heard about Hynes, however, I will be highly surprised if we don't get compensation, especially considering that they already gave us Shero without compensation.

The bright side of that is we have three third round picks next year -- ours, Detroit's, and a choice between Minnesota's and Floridas -- so it's not like it'll hurt us too much.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I feel like this team needs a Boucher for the next few years and then they should hire a guy like Hynes.

However, I would take either. I really like everything I've heard about Hynes, however, I will be highly surprised if we don't get compensation, especially considering that they already gave us Shero without compensation.

The bright side of that is we have three third round picks next year -- ours, Detroit's, and a choice between Minnesota's and Floridas -- so it's not like it'll hurt us too much.

If they ask then we can ask for compensation for Pete to even out.

Thing with Hynes is I think we have to do it now. He is going to coach the Penguins within a year if we don't snatch him now because they are all getting fired over there next year (maybe sooner depending on how the regular season goes).

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Nah. I think disco dan is going to buffalo. They will out bid us and they can go right ahead.

Hah I hope that happens too. I don't think it'll be Hynes or Bylsma, I think they'd hold us up for compensation on Hynes if they can while they'd probably prefer just to not pay Bylsma. I'd be fine with Boucher, but maybe Shero pulls a Lou and brings in someone out of left field.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hah I hope that happens too. I don't think it'll be Hynes or Bylsma, I think they'd hold us up for compensation on Hynes if they can while they'd probably prefer just to not pay Bylsma. I'd be fine with Boucher, but maybe Shero pulls a Lou and brings in someone out of left field.

Well Hitch is off the table. Blues are keeping him unless something "dramatic" happens...whatever that means.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well Hitch is off the table. Blues are keeping him unless something "dramatic" happens...whatever that means.

lol who else are they possibly waiting for, Julien? Is there really that big a difference with him and Hitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad