Speculation: Our Next Head Coach(es)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
This is almost as precious as 'He's coming' with Clarkson.

babcock.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

God, I can't wait for that to fail.

When will they learn their lesson about hyping up incomers before they do a god damn thing for the club?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't care if we win 50 games next year i dont want a coach that plays 1-3-1. After watching the lighning last night i want to play THAT way.

Even if we don't have the horses, can we please, for the love of GOD, score some goals?

So you want to play a system we're not equipped to play? Isn't that what Pete did?

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
I don't care if we win 50 games next year i dont want a coach that plays 1-3-1. After watching the lighning last night i want to play THAT way.

Even if we don't have the horses, can we please, for the love of GOD, score some goals?

I thought he only pulled that 1-3-1 for a game or two, no?

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey

LOL

I dont care what system we play. If we win 50 games, you take it

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Its a tough decision that has to be made by Shero...

Do you go with a transitional coach or are you looking for a longterm solution...

I'm not sure I'd want to saddle a good young coach with this team unless you believe that you can transform it quickly...

But my thought is whoever comes in, is coming in under less than perfect conditions. That would seem to require a bit more experience and that may mean whoever is next is not a longterm solution.

In my opinion one of the mistakes a bad club makes is bringing in good young coaches with little experience under poor conditions. It's a recipe for a repeated cycle of failure in my opinion.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Its a tough decision that has to be made by Shero...

Do you go with a transitional coach or are you looking for a longterm solution...

I'm not sure I'd want to saddle a good young coach with this team unless you believe that you can transform it quickly...

But my thought is whoever comes in, is coming in under less than perfect conditions. That would seem to require a bit more experience and that may mean whoever is next is not a longterm solution.

In my opinion one of the mistakes a bad club makes is bringing in good young coaches with little experience under poor conditions. It's a recipe for a repeated cycle of failure in my opinion.
I think if the team is willing to be patient it can work.

And given the results of the past 3 years, the next coach will not have much pressure in terms of results this upcoming season.

Not having that pressure is important because getting playing time for the kid's has to happen. No matter the struggles. We can not bench Merrill/Gelinas/ Matteau etc next year.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I don't mind Shero hiring a transitional coach for a few seasons (the average tenure of an NHL coach is about three years, anyway) while our forward corps is hopefully refurbished and our defense develops. Honestly, I only think Shero should hire a coach for the long haul if the man he believes is right for this club long-term is on the market and willing to come here.

If you're hiring for the long-term, you need to get the right guy almost even more so than if you are just looking for a solid coach to steer this team through a transitional phase. While I don't believe the Devils necessarily need to find a long-term coach right now, if the person Shero is convinced is appropriate for that role is available to come here, I figure he should seize that opportunity if he can and not hire the transitional guy. It really comes down to how Shero perceives the club and who is out there to coach, I guess.

Only thing that worries me with Shero is he might be too loyal to a coach he hires. Not handing Bylsma walking orders might have been his undoing in Pittsburg. Hopefully he learns from that to part ways with a coach if it isn't working.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't mind Shero hiring a transitional coach for a few seasons (the average tenure of an NHL coach is about three years, anyway) while our forward corps is hopefully refurbished and our defense develops. Honestly, I only think Shero should hire a coach for the long haul if the man he believes is right for this club long-term is on the market and willing to come here.

If you're hiring for the long-term, you need to get the right guy almost even more so than if you are just looking for a solid coach to steer this team through a transitional phase. While I don't believe the Devils necessarily need to find a long-term coach right now, if the person Shero is convinced is appropriate for that role is available to come here, I figure he should seize that opportunity if he can and not hire the transitional guy. It really comes down to how Shero perceives the club and who is out there to coach, I guess.

Only thing that worries me with Shero is he might be too loyal to a coach he hires. Not handing Bylsma walking orders might have been his undoing in Pittsburg. Hopefully he learns from that to part ways with a coach if it isn't working.

I think he learned his lesson considering it got him fired.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Yea, it is hard to blame a GM for not firing a coach after reaching the conference final (even if that series was a disaster). Pittsburgh didn't exactly excel this year under a new regime.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Yea, it is hard to blame a GM for not firing a coach after reaching the conference final (even if that series was a disaster). Pittsburgh didn't exactly excel this year under a new regime.

Definitely agree that Rutherford and Johnston have been worse than Shero and Bylsma, which has actually increased my opinion of both Shero and Bylsma (although I still don't really want Bylsma as our next head coach and would prefer another candidate fill the post).

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haha just realized the majority of the poll now have jobs.

I think an actual Hydra gets hired.

Yeah I realized that before coming to the conclusion that we're getting Horachek.

Though Paul MacLean is still available. Chere is really hoping for him!

I want every possible candidate before Paul MacLean. This guy gets jocked because of his connection to Babcock. Can't think of what else is so appealing about this guy, other than his mustache.

I mean, I really don't want Oates or Horachek before MacLean. But really I don't want Paul MacLean at all. Would take Bylsma and most of the leading NCAA or minor league candidates over him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
An actual Hydra vs Bond villain Guy Boucher in a cage match. The winner gets hired as coach.

Come at me Hydra! We fight 3 on 1 or 1 on 3 or 1-3-1!

You think that scare me? I take all down! Anytime! Anywhere! I open up can of whoop ass on your Hydra!

And Paul MacLean and any other pissant that Rejean interview with! I take finger and rip out fat walrus big mustache! Each hair one three one!

And Disco Dan? I take what left of very little hair on his head and make him cry like little *****! Then I make that lisp he have permanent!

So you tell Rejean that I fight anyone in any kind match! I fight in ladder match, hell in cell, casket match, bury alive match, fall count anywhere, last man stand, table ladder and chair, 60 minutes iron man!

And that's the bottom line, if you SMEEEELELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

WHAT THE BOOSH! IS! COOKIN!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Guy looks pretty confident in that picture.

Might need a pretty strong hydra to take him down.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still love the one where he's yapping after a call was made in a game against us.

Glenwo probably has it somewhere, he posts it all the time.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad