Our Abysmal Defense

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Exactly what part of what I wrote did you miss?

The list contained players that might possibly return a top 4 D-man, Zib does not qualify IMO.

While I do like Zib and believe he has lots of upside, potential won't bring the return the Sens need, it will have to be a player that is already producing at a reasonably high level, thus the names on the list.

The biggest problem with Zibanejad is that he is too soft on the forecheck for some reason, even though he has a big body and can skate reasonably well.

BM is unfortunately living in a dream if he doesn't make attaining a top 4 dman a priority (over another forward). He thought Cowen would fill that role, and I think we all know that isn't going to happen. He is way too slow, has no hockey sense, and doesn't use his size the way he should. Worst of all, he is fairly nonchalant about how little improvement he has shown.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The biggest problem with Zibanejad is that he is too soft on the forecheck for some reason, even though he has a big body and can skate reasonably well.

BM is unfortunately living in a dream if he doesn't make attaining a top 4 dman a priority (over another forward). He thought Cowen would fill that role, and I think we all know that isn't going to happen. He is way too slow, has no hockey sense, and doesn't use his size the way he should. Worst of all, he is fairly nonchalant about how little improvement he has shown.

You forgot to mention that he has poor puck-handling skills, poor passing skills and almost no offensive skills. About all he does is push his man against the boards if he gets there before that man passes the puck or shoots, uses his long reach with stick to force opponents to the outside, and, well I cannot think of a third good thing. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
While I agree the team spends too much time defending, that isn't just a function of the D.

This team just doesn't compete hard enough in all zones without the puck and they make too many high risk or lazy plays with the puck that result in lower possession time, which translates into defending more.

The number of odd man rushes, being outworked in puck battles, breakdowns in coverages, failures to get pucks deep in the O-Zone and generally poor puck management are off the charts.

IMO what we are seeing is a failure by many to play the game with a high level of compete and an attempt to get by purely on skill.

Yes the D needs to be better, but the forward group needs to be much better without the puck.

PS I also believe Cameron needs to adjust to the player's abilities and not force a square peg into a round hole. IMO many of his top players just can't play a north-south game effectively, nor do they have great success with the dump and chase.

I agree with virtually all of what you said here. Good team defense requires the forwards to play strong without the puck. The Senators forwards are NOT good without the puck. They allow too many shots against. So I agree the Defense needs major improvement, but the forwards need improvement too. Thus this is still a bubble team which has NOT improved from last year to this. I do not expect another miracle quarter run to the playoffs as happened last year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think BM will wait for both MacArthur & Michalek to heal since both are scoring forwards that are defensively responsible & they should help to reduce the goals against. I also think that BM will help the defence by acquiring a veteran left shot UFA defenceman at the trade deadline to help for a playoff run if the team is still in it which I think they will be. I don't think it will cost more than a prospect or a 2nd rd pick to acquire a defenceman.

I don't think anyone expects them to win the Stanley Cup this yr but it gives the team another yr before a couple more young guys will be ready to step into this roster for next yr. It also gives BM an opportunity to make a big splash this summer should a couple of young guys or big players become available to trade for next season.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I think BM will wait for both MacArthur & Michalek to heal since both are scoring forwards that are defensively responsible & they should help to reduce the goals against. I also think that BM will help the defence by acquiring a veteran left shot UFA defenceman at the trade deadline to help for a playoff run if the team is still in it which I think they will be. I don't think it will cost more than a prospect or a 2nd rd pick to acquire a defenceman.

I don't think anyone expects them to win the Stanley Cup this yr but it gives the team another yr before a couple more young guys will be ready to step into this roster for next yr. It also gives BM an opportunity to make a big splash this summer should a couple of young guys or big players become available to trade for next season.

Which left-shot UFA D will be available?

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
Which left-shot UFA D will be available?

Left shot UFA defenseman making at least a million. The list is going to shrink before the deadline, and some teams will still be in the race.

Brian Campbell
Alex Goligoski
Nikita Nikitin
Dan Hamhuis
Willie Mitchell
Braydon Coburn
Carl Gunnarsson
Yevgeni Medvedev
Keith Yandle
John-Michael Liles
Kris Russell
Mike Weber
Matt Bartkowski
Christian Ehrhoff
Jay Harison

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
You forgot to mention that he has poor puck-handling skills, poor passing skills and almost no offensive skills. About all he does is push his man against the boards if he gets there before that man passes the puck or shoots, uses his long reach with stick to force opponents to the outside, and, well I cannot think of a third good thing. :)

And last night highlighted all of the above points.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Left shot UFA defenseman making at least a million. The list is going to shrink before the deadline, and some teams will still be in the race.

Brian Campbell - 1st place FLA doesn't trade this guy
Alex Goligoski - playoff team DAL doesn't trade this guy
Nikita Nikitin - Scrub
Dan Hamhuis - Would cost too much
Willie Mitchell - Already have phillips
Braydon Coburn - Already have a Cowen
Carl Gunnarsson - Wouldn't be traded to us
Yevgeni Medvedev
Keith Yandle - Would cost a ton
John-Michael Liles - Attainable. I like him
Kris Russell - Cost a lot
Mike Weber