Ottawa U18 Part 4

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Not asking about players. Asking about actual jobs within these organizations (HEO for example). Whether it's for volunteer roles or paid roles how do you find out when they're looking to fill positions and how to apply. That's it.

Volunteer jobs are available by the bushel in the local Minor Hockey Associations, usually at their Annual General Meetings around this time of year. HEO has their own staffing policy, so they are the best place to start for their paid positions. HEO and HEO Minor fill volunteer jobs at the AGM for each and the announcements will likely be out very soon now. Depends really on what you want.

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
Volunteer jobs are available by the bushel in the local Minor Hockey Associations, usually at their Annual General Meetings around this time of year. HEO has their own staffing policy, so they are the best place to start for their paid positions. HEO and HEO Minor fill volunteer jobs at the AGM for each and the announcements will likely be out very soon now. Depends really on what you want.

Thanks for that. I'll keep an eye out for when the AGM is for HEO.

stickhandle

Jul 4, 2007
Eastern Ontario had one of the top 3 Bantam teams in Ontario I am hearing that 4 of their top players are leaving the area to avoid the local midget league , so sad for minor hockey in Ottawa

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Eastern Ontario had one of the top 3 Bantam teams in Ontario I am hearing that 4 of their top players are leaving the area to avoid the local midget league , so sad for minor hockey in Ottawa

Does that include the young man who apparently lived in the employee lunch room of Dufresne Furniture in Cumberland?

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
Kids will always leave because they think there's better development or more exposure or whatever. This happened even before U18 came into being (albeit at a slightly lower rate). I know kids who were helped by leaving but I also know players who actually hurt their draft stock and 'career' by leaving. For the most part playing in Toronto or at Prep School made no difference at all other than costing more and dividing the family for 7 months.

stickhandle

Jul 4, 2007
Kids will always leave because they think there's better development or more exposure or whatever. This happened even before U18 came into being (albeit at a slightly lower rate). I know kids who were helped by leaving but I also know players who actually hurt their draft stock and 'career' by leaving. For the most part playing in Toronto or at Prep School made no difference at all other than costing more and dividing the family for 7 months.

How did it hurt their draft stock, there is no way playing in a weak midget league with little exposure helps your draft stock more than playing in stronger league with lots of exposure. That argument just has no legs to stand on. Players that move away and don't do well are just not talented enough staying here would not make them a better player

salming 21

Aug 8, 2019
We just went through the whole minor hockey journey and draft this past spring. I'm glad it's over to be honest, but i do have some very strong opinions on 'exposure' and 'moving' etc. My son played AAA in both the OMHA and the GTHL. Where we live allowed him access to both leagues without having to be an import. And I'll admit we tried both leagues in that elusive search for the best coach we could find and the best team we could find (in order to play deeper in the more important tournaments). It's all a bunch of crap lol. Seriously, my son was drafted but pretty late, he's not going to crack an OHL roster any time soon, if ever (not that we really want him to play OHL). The added exposure of playing on a better team, playing in the Silver Stick, playing in the OHL cup didn't do anything for him. When i look at who got drafted, from what teams, from what regions I can honestly say that if you're any good they will find you. Playing in Ottawa doesn't matter one way or the other. By the way, after the 7th round this year the draft made almost no sense. They use to say that the 10th to 15th rounds are for friends and family but that's more like the entire back half of the draft, 8th round onwards. and yes, if you want to make a donation, you can get most any AAA player drafted.

Last edited:

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
How did it hurt their draft stock, there is no way playing in a weak midget league with little exposure helps your draft stock more than playing in stronger league with lots of exposure. That argument just has no legs to stand on. Players that move away and don't do well are just not talented enough staying here would not make them a better player

It can hurt them because a player who would have played 1st line minutes in the HEO U18 league may be a second or 3rd line player on a top GTHL team. Playing 1st line minutes or on the #1 PP CAN make a difference in your draft stock. Just like another poster said, after about the 7th round the draft is based on a lot more than the players actual potential. Scouts are human and many will take the easy path which is to look at stats before games to see who they intend to watch. Sometimes it's much better to be a big fish in a small pond. I've been around minor hockey for a while now (since 2004 or so) and have seen this first hand multiple times.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Players have been moving out to greener pastures for decades. Any family that can afford it will consider it, but, in the end, it is very disruptive for the child and demands sacrifices from all family members. But, if that is what they want, then, personally, I say God Bless. For every player that goes, another player gets a chance to play AAA instead of AA. Here in Ottawa, we lose anywhere from 6-15 players a year, total. Let's be honest, how many players will the GTHL and Alliance take? The OMHA loses hundreds, because the travel and moving commitment is much lighter.

Reactions: HockeyDad4Life

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
registration fee went up 350 and 2 players added to roster size . an increase in revenue of 18000.00 per team. any added benefits? Did the hockey get better because U18 added 24 players from god knows what level.

Last edited:

hockyisallpolitics

Apr 13, 2018
registration fee went up 350 and 2 players added to roster size . an increase in revenue of 18000.00 per team. any added benefits? Did the hockey get better because U18 added 24 players from god knows what level.
Does HEO monitor individual team spending or just hand teams the money on a platter for use as they see fit? Can teams transfer money from one budget item to another? Do teams file statements with HEO at end of season showing expenditures and use of funds? If teams come in under budget do they refund HEO? Does HEO then refund parents? Are conflict of interest guidelines in place to make sure teams don’t use money to benefit themselves, family or friends? Do parents have any input in developing and approving budgets (as is supposed to be the case in minor hockey)? Does HEO or do individual teams provide parents with statements showing expenditures and use of funds at the end of the season? Why are the U18 rules not posted on the website? Are there any written rules?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Does HEO monitor individual team spending or just hand teams the money on a platter for use as they see fit? Can teams transfer money from one budget item to another? Do teams file statements with HEO at end of season showing expenditures and use of funds? If teams come in under budget do they refund HEO? Does HEO then refund parents? Are conflict of interest guidelines in place to make sure teams don’t use money to benefit themselves, family or friends? Do parents have any input in developing and approving budgets (as is supposed to be the case in minor hockey)? Does HEO or do individual teams provide parents with statements showing expenditures and use of funds at the end of the season? Why are the U18 rules not posted on the website? Are there any written rules?

HEO AAA league has appealed HEO Minor twice in the last 4 years to ask the very same questions and lost appeal both times. It has been 4 years and the U18 teams/league have never given a detailed accounting of expenditures for the teams or the league. There is no financial accountability for U18 teams or the league. The U 18 league is run by the CCHL and supported by HEO Minor (only they know why).
I would email Barb Lavere HEO President [email protected] and ask her to get the HEO BOD involved.

2003 dad

Feb 4, 2018
Pay and don t ask questions otherwise your son will blackballed is pretty much the mentality of this league.

Reactions: BigBuck

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Marlies Holiday Classic tournament schedule posted. No teams from Ottawa.
U16 players from Ottawa screwed again by Adults in administration. Take your pick Hockey Canada, HEO, HEO Minor, U18 executive, CCHL. All, some, who knows. No communication.
Its time for a change again.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
The parents of HEO Midget AAA have paid 4.7 million in registration fees in the last four years. Not 1 financial statement from a team or the league on where the money was spent or how. Somebody is making lots of money. No Financial accountability.

Reactions: 2003 dad

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Find below a Tweet from the Commissioner of both the CCHL and CCHL2.

Commissioner‏@centraljunior13h13 hours ago
Never been better goaltending instruction than we have today. Lacking game/level acceleration. Let 15 year olds who are capable play Jr hockey. Exempt 16 year olds from max quota of 2/team if they can make it. Allow unlimited AP levels/teams/games. #OlderShooters
0 replies2 retweets11 likes

Draw you own conclusions.

Schlick

Dec 23, 2018
The parents of HEO Midget AAA have paid 4.7 million in registration fees in the last four years. Not 1 financial statement from a team or the league on where the money was spent or how. Somebody is making lots of money. No Financial accountability.
Have the chickens finally come home to roost?? Rumour is that someone has been caught with their hand in the cookie jar(s).

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Whats the scoop?

There is an issue with someone involved with U18, but unrelated to the League. It is under appeal and ill-advised to comment. Unless one of these keyboard warriors has more than gossip to share.

Chompskiii

Mar 29, 2020
I know this isn’t really to this discussion, but are the academy teams truly hated? If so, why?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I know this isn’t really to this discussion, but are the academy teams truly hated? If so, why?
I have no idea if it applies in this league or not, but my guess in general would be: $$$ ? "Hate" might be strong, but there's usually some jealousy about kids whose families can afford academy/prep school hockey vs. others who can't? :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad