Ottawa U18 Part 4

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Valleydude, I'm not going to pick sides here because, really, I see valid points on both sides but as far as the *****ing on here goes, it's a discussion board so don't see anything wrong with debating... even ad nauseam lol

For my part, as a goalie dad from the region (I know, it sucks!), any grievance on my part has more to do with proper evaluation and level of recruitment or lack thereof, in some cases, then who governs Minor Hockey and how deluded the talent pool is - doesn't really matter to me whether there's 6 or 12 teams involved if there's only 3 or 4 teams doing their due diligence and leaving no stone unturned rather than going off previous player assessment or empty spots to fill on the roster. Some organizations you'll run across at every organized events where as others, your left wondering how they even assess players. I guess who you are at 14 determines everything that will follow... yeah right!

Conflicts of interest are also a concern of mine but I mean, I've kind of come to grasp over the year with the fact that there's no structure to eradicate favoritism. I'd like to see more done to remove as many potential conflicts of interest possible because talent alone won't get you places, having the right opportunity will - Can you imagine, for instance, trying to make your way as a goalie through an organization that has goalie dads as coaches of both their affiliated Midget AAA and Junior B teams? Well some organizations do and that's exactly what they do! But hey, there's not enough talent in the region says the GM so what does it matter? It matters to parents when they have do send their kids down to the GTA to ensure proper development and exposure, and actually come back with more options in the OJHL than they ever did in the CCHL.

Do you guys think these occurrences are more rare than spotting a three legged purple squirrel? I certainly don't.

No need to pick sides because nothappy and I are on the same side. I just gave up talking about it because I don't have the time or energy to push change through the HEO Minor Council. What I am saying to him is, if this is still your passion, make a difference, get on the HEO board and try to drive change.

Reactions: Tex76

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
What a year for ODMHL AAA. Ottawa Valley Bantams take Don Mills to over time and pick up a Silver at the All Ontario Bantam Championship.The Myers AAA Peewee team made it to the finals of the All Ontario Peewee Championship losing to Sun County. Two silver medals. Minor hockey in the HEO area is very good.

Forgot to add this, Ontario East Minor Bantam Wild second highest rated team in Ontario.

Last edited:

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
What a year for ODMHL AAA. Ottawa Valley Bantams take Don Mills to over time and pick up a Silver at the All Ontario Bantam Championship.The Myers AAA Peewee team made it to the finals of the All Ontario Peewee Championship losing to Sun County. Two silver medals. Minor hockey in the HEO area is very good.

That Bantam team is going to be great next year in Minor Midget :ha:

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
I believe in the first 2 rounds the team closest to the player drafted automatically gets him if more than one team want him. The more distant team that wanted him will not lose their draft pick though, they just need to pick someone else. So if Brockville tried to draft Lockhart or McTavish they would only get them if Kanata and Pembroke didn't take the player. Last year a player taken in the first few pick was taken based on being less than a KM closer to one teams home rink than the other team. The protected players should not have been weaker though as any team picking would get the player they want as long as they live closest to that rink. Because of the geographic distribution rule the draft order really makes no difference. Besides, what standings would you use to determine draft order - U18 or Jr. A? I agree it is a little confusing though.
Not confusing at all....teams select a player and who is ever closer gets the player. Makes sense that players are playing as close to home as possible.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Not confusing at all....teams select a player and who is ever closer gets the player. Makes sense that players are playing as close to home as possible.

Only checked 1(one) team Pembroke 9 players traveled from Ottawa, Nepean, Stittsville. Do I need to investigate further?
The best way to play close to home is ODMHL AAA. Stop the BS.

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
Only checked 1(one) team Pembroke 9 players traveled from Ottawa, Nepean, Stittsville. Do I need to investigate further?
The best way to play close to home is ODMHL AAA. Stop the BS.
Wrong once again. Parents have to be ok with traveling over 60km. If not they get a release. As this is what happen with Curtis Fabbro with us. So u again have the wrong info. Draft is designed to keep kids close to home.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Wrong once again. Parents have to be ok with traveling over 60km. If not they get a release. As this is what happen with Curtis Fabbro with us. So u again have the wrong info. Draft is designed to keep kids close to home.

Draft might be designed to help player/kids close to home BUT that is not what happens. The old system insured the kids/players played closest to there home.

Reactions: BackBringCam

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
Draft might be designed to help player/kids close to home BUT that is not what happens. The old system insured the kids/players played closest to there home.
I agree with Jason on this. Players may choose to take on that travel, they're not forced to. The format also allows some players to have choice in who they play for (better coaching/better programs) which wasn't the case before. It's not a perfect system but players who travel like the Pembroke kids you mentioned all did so willingly.

upinarms

Jul 16, 2010
I agree with Jason on this. Players may choose to take on that travel, they're not forced to. The format also allows some players to have choice in who they play for (better coaching/better programs) which wasn't the case before. It's not a perfect system but players who travel like the Pembroke kids you mentioned all did so willingly.

If a player lives next to Jim Durrell arena and is drafted by Pembroke, but decides he wants to play close to home for the OJS U18 team, do his rights still belong to Pembroke for a certain period of time?

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
If a player lives next to Jim Durrell arena and is drafted by Pembroke, but decides he wants to play close to home for the OJS U18 team, do his rights still belong to Pembroke for a certain period of time?
If OJS or Nepean or any other team closer to the players home was going to select him in the draft they would have gotten him over Pembroke. In the event a player is chosen by more than one team the team closest to the player gets him. As well, a team will not typically select a player they feel is unlikely to report or want to play there so in the case you outline the team would have usually spoken to the player or players parents prior to drafting him. If the player was not selected by anyone else and Pembroke took him then as Jason said the 60KM rule could be used for the player to request a trade or release.

upinarms

Jul 16, 2010
I understand what you are saying completely. My question is: If he is released under the 60 KM rule to play for a different U18 team, do his JR A rights still belong to the team that drafted him? Likewise does a player drafted by a Jr A team that also has a CCHL 2 team have to report to said CCHL2 team, or can he play CCHL2 anywhere?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
I understand what you are saying completely. My question is: If he is released under the 60 KM rule to play for a different U18 team, do his JR A rights still belong to the team that drafted him? Likewise does a player drafted by a Jr A team that also has a CCHL 2 team have to report to said CCHL2 team, or can he play CCHL2 anywhere?

If you really need an answer to this question call Sherry Melloy U18 president. Number and e-mail are on U 18 website.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Gold Cup . So far poor results. Any suggestions as to why? It looked like a good team on paper. Having said that both GTHL teams have very good players as do both OMHA teams. I am just surprised at the results. Oh well they are just kids maybe I should cut them some slack.
Any guesses as to how many get invited to Calgary for U17 selection?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Gold Cup . So far poor results. Any suggestions as to why? It looked like a good team on paper. Having said that both GTHL teams have very good players as do both OMHA teams. I am just surprised at the results. Oh well they are just kids maybe I should cut them some slack.
Any guesses as to how many get invited to Calgary for U17 selection?

The following former Ottawa AAA players have been invited to Canada's U17 camp in Calgary. A huge accomplishment and good luck to all.
Cameron Butler, Josh Barnes, Sean McGurn, Nolan Seed, Kyle McDonald, Donovan Sebrango, Tye Austin, Joe Verbetic. Dylan Peterson has decided to play for Hockey USA.

hockyisallpolitics

Apr 13, 2018
I believe in the first 2 rounds the team closest to the player drafted automatically gets him if more than one team want him. The more distant team that wanted him will not lose their draft pick though, they just need to pick someone else. So if Brockville tried to draft Lockhart or McTavish they would only get them if Kanata and Pembroke didn't take the player. Last year a player taken in the first few pick was taken based on being less than a KM closer to one teams home rink than the other team. The protected players should not have been weaker though as any team picking would get the player they want as long as they live closest to that rink. Because of the geographic distribution rule the draft order really makes no difference. Besides, what standings would you use to determine draft order - U18 or Jr. A? I agree it is a little confusing though.
The protected players would necessarily be weaker. If my territory includes the weaker teams, I know it is useless to try to draft outside my existing player pool in Rounds 1 or 2, as they will be protected by a closer team. I could try to draft the 3rd or 4th strongest player on opposing teams. But the reality is that there will also be political pressures on me to draft from within my own player pool. So I draft the 1st and 2nd player in my pool, who will necessarily be weaker than the 1st and second player in other areas' pools. As for order of draft, the purpose of a reverse order draft is to allow weaker teams to better achieve parity. So the weakest U18 team from the previous year should be allowed the first draft choice. Why you would consider the Jr A standings is beyond me--it is a U18 draft.

Wallflower66

Aug 18, 2018
Hard to believe summer is over and we are already into tryouts and start of the season is just around the corner. Will most U18 teams carry 1-2 extra skaters on final rosters?

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
Hard to believe summer is over and we are already into tryouts and start of the season is just around the corner. Will most U18 teams carry 1-2 extra skaters on final rosters?
It seems as though now that the U18 system appears here to stay this board has gone quiet. Maybe we can get it onto talking about the teams and league in a positive way than trying to change it. Anyway, how are teams looking to this point? Who are the favorites to win it all this season?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
It seems as though now that the U18 system appears here to stay this board has gone quiet. Maybe we can get it onto talking about the teams and league in a positive way than trying to change it. Anyway, how are teams looking to this point? Who are the favorites to win it all this season?

Finally someone posted. Lets get back at this.
U 18 got a 2 year extension on a 3 year pilot. The board went quiet because it was summer. HEO Minor is to do a full appraisal of the league sometime this year and vote to end or continue. Lets hope they do an appraisal this time.

Last edited:

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
See below the number of HEO developed players in the CCHL.

2014-15 49% (Jan 10th final rosters)
2015-16 42% (Jan 10th final rosters)
2016-17 ( did not do) 1 year of U18 development
2017-18 41% (Jan 10th final rosters) 2 years of U18 development
2018-19 40% (opening weekend) 3 years of U18 development

Looks like U 18 is not putting HEO developed players into the CCHL.
Why?
Poor development at AAA? Before they get to U18.
Less kids playing hockey?
Athletes playing other sports?
Coaching?
Lack of practice ice?
Quality of competition?
Too many teams at U18?
Not enough teams at AAA? Before U18

There are some very good players but most teams have too many players that cannot play at the AAA level. The players work hard, skate fast but run around with out a plan and will not hold onto the puck.
Best of luck to the players. Have a good year, work hard and maybe you will move onto the OHL,CCHL, NCAA. It is never over till you give up. Do not give up.

Round 2

Oct 10, 2018
Just a question... Should Major Bantam Players be affiliated to U18 Teams? I see pros and cons.. just looking for other opinions. Thanks.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Ok, what are your pros and cons.
Send me a private message and I will give my opinion.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
So word on the street is U18 had a practice for it's two 2003 DOB teams on Sunday. Is this true?
Who selected the invites/teams? Are the teams final?
When will U18/HEO Minor announce the players involved?
Who is coaching?
When possibly the top 40 2003 DOB are in one place playing a game. The HEO area OHL scouts would like to have known so they could see this players all at once.
Why would U18/HEO Minor keep this event a secret?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Just saw the list of the top 40 U18 players from Sunday.
Very interesting to see who was invited and who was left off.
My list would be different but that's scouting. No two scouts/people see the game or the players the same way.

Schlick

Dec 23, 2018
Trying to find some clarity regarding goalie development/ training. Is this mandated by the HEO Midget AAA? How much $ is available?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad