Ottawa U18 Part 4

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
So, 4,000 members of HEO Minor don't get a say in this? That's ridiculous. If we start eliminating votes due to crossing interests, things will get a lot worse much more quickly. The Chair of D5 is responsible for how that District votes. If the membership cares enough, they will change the Chair. I know how hard that is to do in reality, but that's how these things work.

You are assuming the D-Chairs ask the membership. I think they do not.
Did the HEO Minor executive ask the paying public about bringing in U18? I think not.
Is HEO Minor asking the paying public for an opinion on IF the U18 league should be continued or dropped? I think not.
Did HEO Minor executive as the paying public when the decided not to reassemble the 67 bantams for the 2018 OHL Cup? I think not.
D-chairs do what they think is right for there area an have little or no regard for the people they are supposed to work for.
Getting rid of a D-Chair after they make mistakes is like closing the barn door after the horses have left. It is too late.
Most districts have B rep hockey and house league. So why do D-Chairs get to vote on Zone items or AAA, AA and A issues.
Hockey in this area is broke and no one is ready to admit that it needs to change completely.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
U18 voted in...have a nice night.

Bad news; You and the other CCHL owners get to shaft Ottawa area kids for another 2 years. Its like groundhog day, 2 mores years of poor quality hockey.
Good news; This board stays open and I get to criticize, make comments, and correct everything you try to get the public to swallow.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
Terry I fully understand that you believe the U18 league was monitored very closely. You are entitled to your opinion. I beg to differ, Who watched the finances? If the finances were so closely watched, why then in the governance model that the D- chairs are voting on tonight's are 4 of the 16 slides on finance and how HEO Minor will be monitoring it much closer. Having said that HEO Minor had 3 years to watch/monitor the pilot and they did not. HEO Minors solution to their lack of effort is extend pilot and we will do our job this time. They have already lied to the paying public once. How many chances do they get.

That's a very good question, and Terry's lack of comment on it is somewhat damning.

stickhandle

Jul 4, 2007
Well this news has ruined my day, feel like throwing up. Two more years of watching house league

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
Bad news; You and the other CCHL owners get to shaft Ottawa area kids for another 2 years. Its like groundhog day, 2 mores years of poor quality hockey.
Good news; This board stays open and I get to criticize, make comments, and correct everything you try to get the public to swallow.
Yup and your criticizing seemed to help us. Thx for your help in getting the pilot renewed. I look forward to reading more of your posts in the very near future. Have a great day.

TerryN

May 17, 2016
That's a very good question, and Terry's lack of comment on it is somewhat damning.
Not sure what is so damning. Reality is I don’t know who, never met them and don’t really care, only know what I was told is that no expenditures gets done by league without approval by HEO Minor person. I send in an invoice to be paid and it gets done. As I mentioned before there is no other league or Association scrutinized by HEO Minor to the same level as this one.
Terry Nichols
Kemptville 73’s General Manager
Cell/text 613-282-8310

Reactions: 4wDriver

DeepThoughts

Nov 6, 2016
Well it is, what it is. Arrogant group of owners preying on parents and kids dreams. I hide behind a handle, and the CCHL owners running U18 hide behind the cover of HEO. The rationale of we (CCHL) just send in invoices and they are paid by HEO. I am sure it is all cost recovery and no mark-up or inflated costs being passed along as part of the process because the CCHL is altruistic and just wants to help out minor hockey. I would love to see some of those invoices. But alas I hide behind a handle and will never be part of the inner sanctum of HEO. Just was hoping it would be more open and transparent. Is U18 better or worse than old system, it really is a toss-up. Parents just make sure your kids do other sports so they become athletes and not pawns in a money grab, so your kids can have options.

TerryN

May 17, 2016
Well it is, what it is. Arrogant group of owners preying on parents and kids dreams. I hide behind a handle, and the CCHL owners running U18 hide behind the cover of HEO. The rationale of we (CCHL) just send in invoices and they are paid by HEO. I am sure it is all cost recovery and no mark-up or inflated costs being passed along as part of the process because the CCHL is altruistic and just wants to help out minor hockey. I would love to see some of those invoices. But alas I hide behind a handle and will never be part of the inner sanctum of HEO. Just was hoping it would be more open and transparent. Is U18 better or worse than old system, it really is a toss-up. Parents just make sure your kids do other sports so they become athletes and not pawns in a money grab, so your kids can have options.
I can tell you that for the expenses that the 73’s control (of which practice ice and staff renumeration are the majority) all of the payments are made directly to the Municipality of North Grenville and the midget staff. I can assure you there is no “ markup”, in fact that is insulting. I am not calling you names or throwing insults at anyone on here, I would appreciate the same respect from you.
Terry Nichols

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
I can tell you that for the expenses that the 73’s control (of which practice ice and staff renumeration are the majority) all of the payments are made directly to the Municipality of North Grenville and the midget staff. I can assure you there is no “ markup”, in fact that is insulting. I am not calling you names or throwing insults at anyone on here, I would appreciate the same respect from you.
Terry Nichols

Are the expenditures that are paid to North Grenville and your staff which you are part of I think even close to the $100,000 that was collected to pay for them?

TerryN

May 17, 2016
Are the expenditures that are paid to North Grenville and your staff which you are part of I think even close to the $100,000 that was collected to pay for them?
The team does not have a budget of anywhere close to that for the items we are responsible to supply, our practice ice, staff, off ice , any buses we book, social events...... comprises a little over 1/2. The league controls the rest and pays for all game ice ( a lot is expensive Sensplex ice) refs, jerseys, tracksuits ......individual teams have no involvement in any of these expenses. There are published budgets and league financials showing this, the 12 midget teams are treated like an Association.
We are charged over $200/hr for ice in Kemptville at a non resident prime rate and our practices will utilize pretty much the entire amount budgeted, possibly more depending upon how much practice we need during playoffs. Any amounts we don’t use stay will stay with league, but by the time practice ice is paid, staff ......, the budgeted amount our team is given is pretty much gone.
I have explained this several times so feel free to look at my previous posts in case I missed something that I may have said before.

2003 dad

Feb 4, 2018
The team does not have a budget of anywhere close to that for the items we are responsible to supply, our practice ice, staff, off ice , any buses we book, social events...... comprises a little over 1/2. The league controls the rest and pays for all game ice ( a lot is expensive Sensplex ice) refs, jerseys, tracksuits ......individual teams have no involvement in any of these expenses. There are published budgets and league financials showing this, the 12 midget teams are treated like an Association.
We are charged over $200/hr for ice in Kemptville at a non resident prime rate and our practices will utilize pretty much the entire amount budgeted, possibly more depending upon how much practice we need during playoffs. Any amounts we don’t use stay will stay with league, but by the time practice ice is paid, staff ......, the budgeted amount our team is given is pretty much gone.
I have explained this several times so feel free to look at my previous posts in case I missed something that I may have said before.
My son is elegible to play U18 next year but looking at the site no matter where you play or practice you pay the same amount, how can a team that practices in smaller facilities have the same budget as a team practicing in a Sensplex or if not all coaching staff are paid the same how can all the teams have the same budget?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
My son is elegible to play U18 next year but looking at the site no matter where you play or practice you pay the same amount, how can a team that practices in smaller facilities have the same budget as a team practicing in a Sensplex or if not all coaching staff are paid the same how can all the teams have the same budget?

Great question. Been asking the same question for 3 years and will continue for 2 more I guess.
Contact your district chair and ask him or her which way they voted on your behalf and then ask them why they voted that way. ( side bar, were you contacted to ask you how you felt about the u18 league) I would also want to know why not 1 (one) D chair or HEO executive member never asked the president of U18 any finance questions before the vote.

Reactions: 2003 dad

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015

So help me understand. It is OK with you if other member teams in your league or the executive do things that might be considered wrong as long as you do not do them. Is that right?
It is not your obligation to run just your team correctly, it is your obligation to insure the whole league is run correctly. Ask questions, get answers and fix problems.

Last edited:

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
Not sure what is so damning. Reality is I don’t know who, never met them and don’t really care, only know what I was told is that no expenditures gets done by league without approval by HEO Minor person. I send in an invoice to be paid and it gets done. As I mentioned before there is no other league or Association scrutinized by HEO Minor to the same level as this one.
Terry Nichols
Kemptville 73’s General Manager
Cell/text 613-282-8310

So let me get this straight, the financials are the best in minor hockey (not sure how you qualify that, but fine), but HEO has randomly decided that they need a HIGHER level of scrutiny. You don't ask for that if they trust the process.

When you posted as 'CCHLFanTier1' you always said 'no, i never worked for a team, trust me', now you're saying 'no, we have the best financial scrutiny in minor hockey, trust me'. Sorry, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice....

hky01

Jan 5, 2016
Question that may or may not be answered here... what happens with the home association fees? and how much ice time do you get allotted from the home associations if any?

AAA teams bantam and down get the home association fees given back to the AAA team, minus a certain percentage etc. which is why you still need to register with the home association. Does U18 get the home association fees back like the lower level AAA associations do? I would assume it would be the same deal.

Second, how much ice is allotted from the home associations? It would seem like this would lower the costs a fair bit in terms of ice time allotted to each AAA team.

TerryN

May 17, 2016
My last comment on financials since posters keep trying to twist my words.

1) I will not comment on other teams simply because I do not know (I am not in the habit of jumping to conclusions based on rumour and innuendo), why would I, does a Titans team know about the detailed finances of a Wild team?
2) Oversight is responsibility of league exec which is controlled by HEO Minor. Never said best financials, said most scrutinized.
3) Higher level of scrutiny by HEO Minor because it is a pilot and they control the league exec.
4) The last comment, think whatever you want, everyone knows who I am.

I have left my phone # numerous times, never got a call.

TerryN

May 17, 2016
Question that may or may not be answered here... what happens with the home association fees? and how much ice time do you get allotted from the home associations if any?

AAA teams bantam and down get the home association fees given back to the AAA team, minus a certain percentage etc. which is why you still need to register with the home association. Does U18 get the home association fees back like the lower level AAA associations do? I would assume it would be the same deal.

Second, how much ice is allotted from the home associations? It would seem like this would lower the costs a fair bit in terms of ice time allotted to each AAA team.
Fees from Home Association either get returned or transferred to HEO Midget AAA just like other AAA levels.

My understanding is no ice from Home Associations. It is up to each team to source their own practice ice. Monday game ice sourced by league, that is why at Sensplex and on Saturday teams are responsible for two Showcase days per season, however City teams have no ability to source which is why no Showcases in City of Ottawa owned facilities.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
Why on earth would you expect anyone on here to call you? Its a message board, we create online handles to talk to people online. Its not a dating site :laugh:.

With regards to 'I will not comment on other teams simply because I do not know', well you are doing that when you say 'HEO Midget's financials are the most scrutinized', how could you know what goes on there versus a Toronto or London team? You said you don't know their standards. It sounds like a league talking point vs an actual fact. What facts do you have to support that statement?

With regards to CCHLTier1Fan. Its pretty simple. You started posting from 'TerryN' a few days after 'CCHLTier1Fan' went quiet. Both accounts say they have kids who have gone through minor hockey and dislike the process and prefer this new standard, both have said literally, word for word 'I can see things from both sides, but', both have trumpeted the same league speaking points regarding financials, drafts, etc. Even the grammar and sentence structure is the same.

I wouldn't care in the slightest if CCHLTier1Fan wasn't so adamant that he didn't work in the league (despite being quite knowledgeable) and putting down others when they tried to look for information. When you where less then honest using that account (which is no doubt your account), it now makes everything you say questionable. And I get the 'I refuse to talk about it' point, I would too in your situation. You got caught, trying to explain something just makes it worse

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
HEO did not make a decision on the 67 bantam appeal. They suggested a compromise that would have to be made between HEO Minor and the parents of the 67 bantams. It would also have to be approved by the GTHL/OHL selection committee.
This compromise gives HEO, HEO Minor the chance to blame the OHL cup selection committee if they do not accept the HEO entry as presented. This non decision is gutless.

highwayman

Aug 4, 2015
HEO did not make a decision on the 67 bantam appeal. They suggested a compromise that would have to be made between HEO Minor and the parents of the 67 bantams. It would also have to be approved by the GTHL/OHL selection committee.
This compromise gives HEO, HEO Minor the chance to blame the OHL cup selection committee if they do not accept the HEO entry as presented. This non decision is gutless.

This is all orchrested by HEO Minor, they must have their way, forget the best interests of the kids. What does the PM of Canada and the President of HEO Minor have in common - ME, ME, ME.
Hopefully when Mr. Hopkins assumes the position of President in June, he will change the culture to kids first, we can only hope.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
This is all orchrested by HEO Minor, they must have their way, forget the best interests of the kids. What does the PM of Canada and the President of HEO Minor have in common - ME, ME, ME.
Hopefully when Mr. Hopkins assumes the position of President in June, he will change the culture to kids first, we can only hope.

IMO This was put together by the puppet master.
1 They put 2 allstar teams in tournaments to make the public happy so he could keep his gravy train running.
2 He convinces HEO Minor to allow 2 teams for these tournaments.
3 He and HEO Minor ask the GTHL/OHL to allow those two teams to compete in the OHL Cup. They get turned down.
3 The U18/HEO Minor ask the GTHL/OHL to allow 1 team into the OHL Cup a mix of the two teams with all 11 of the 67 bantams that played on the two teams, then add 8 players to get to 19. The GTHL/OHL turned down this idea of 1 team to go to OHL Cup. This team would be very strong, it would have 11 67 bantams from the 2 teams then they would add other players from the two teams to get to 19.
4 67 parents appeal to HEO (HEO board controlled by junior)
5 The non decision by HEO appeal committee has been turned down once and will be turned down again. This time the U18 league and HEO Minor can blame the GTHL/OHL.
6 One person is pulling all the strings and the paying public needs to do something about it.

Last edited:

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
IMO This was put together by the puppet master.
1 They put 2 allstar teams in tournaments to make the public happy so he could keep his gravy train running.
2 He convinces HEO Minor to allow 2 teams for these tournaments.
3 He and HEO Minor ask the GTHL/OHL to allow those two teams to compete in the OHL Cup. They get turned down.
3 The U18/HEO Minor ask the GTHL/OHL to allow 1 team into the OHL Cup a mix of the two teams with all 11 of the 67 bantams that played on the two teams, then add 8 players to get to 19. The GTHL/OHL turned down this idea of 1 team to go to OHL Cup. This team would be very strong, it would have 11 67 bantams from the 2 teams then they would add other players from the two teams to get to 19.
4 67 parents appeal to HEO (HEO board controlled by junior)
5 The non decision by HEO appeal committee has been turned down once and will be turned down again. This time the U18 league and HEO Minor can blame the GTHL/OHL.
6 One person is pulling all the strings and the paying public needs to do something about it.

Great to see the same posts for last 3 years.....another renewal just down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad