Ottawa U18 Part 4

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Same amount drafted since 1998 in ohl draft from this area. Number goes up or down 10 to 15 percent.

Prove it. How many HEO/ ODHA players drafted in 1998. AA in ODHA included Kingston till 2007. AAA started 2008. The draft numbers are better since AAA and have declined with the start of U18. Fact.

Let me invest your money if you think a jump of 10 to 15 percent up or down is acceptable.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
U18 is in panic mode. They are asking parents of the U18 league to send all positive feedback to executive before the meeting tonight with the HEO Minor district chairs.
When you fight this hard to preserve what you have there is a very good reason. That reason is usually money.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Parents contact your U18 team representative and ask for a detailed list of expenses for your team only.
Contact the U18 executive and ask for a team/league list of expenses.
Contact your district chair and ask them to ask the tough questions if you are afraid your child will be blackballed.

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
Are you saying registration for Bantam AAA is 10 to 12k?
Not what I said...im saying my top sponsor for my Jr A team....son plays AAA...he has told me it' going to cost him...12k maybe more....im just relaying the message...he has no reason to bullshit me

2003 dad

Feb 4, 2018
Not what I said...im saying my top sponsor for my Jr A team....son plays AAA...he has told me it' going to cost him...12k maybe more....im just relaying the message...he has no reason to bull**** me
8n
Not sure where he plays but my costs are no where near what he has told you,and that includes 5 tournaments in the Toronto area.

Last edited:

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Travel is big in 3 of 5 AAA Associations, OVT, Wild and UCC so I don't see it as being much different, I will agree that Monday games in Ottawa add some distance for some, but a lot of players in places like Cornwall, Brockville and Pembroke make up for it with closer practices, Plus it is made up by not travelling to away tournaments. Most if not all of the 73's Midget players live within 45-50 km which is a simple commute, our practices are 5:30 Tues and Thurs plus 6:30 Sunday so no lost school. I do know some players commute a lot to practice on some teams but that will be the case with every age group. The regularity of scheduling though is a big plus for this age group, gives them the ability to work even. Lost school days way larger in younger age groups just do to tournaments alone, majority in U18 only miss one day at most due to a Sensplex tournament.

45KM 3 times per week for practice x 2(drive back home)=270Kms. 50KM x 2 games x 2 (round trip)=200KMs Family's are driving 47o KMs per week for about 28 weeks so approximately 13160 kms per year. That is a lot of driving and a lot of money for gas.
Games start at 530 on Monday nights, plenty of kids would have to leave school early to be at the rink by 430. 2 hour drive from Pembroke so 230 time to pack up leave school and get ready. Most kids/parents would leave around 1/130. Late games end at 11/1130 out of room by 12/1215 drive back home. Some kids miss school the next day. . Yes it happened in AAA and still does just stop saying it does not happen at U18.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Does anybody know how the presentation to the district chairs went last knight? Who made it? What is the jest of the presentation? What would the straw pool be? Fore or against?

TerryN

May 17, 2016
45KM 3 times per week for practice x 2(drive back home)=270Kms. 50KM x 2 games x 2 (round trip)=200KMs Family's are driving 47o KMs per week for about 28 weeks so approximately 13160 kms per year. That is a lot of driving and a lot of money for gas.
Games start at 530 on Monday nights, plenty of kids would have to leave school early to be at the rink by 430. 2 hour drive from Pembroke so 230 time to pack up leave school and get ready. Most kids/parents would leave around 1/130. Late games end at 11/1130 out of room by 12/1215 drive back home. Some kids miss school the next day. . Yes it happened in AAA and still does just stop saying it does not happen at U18.
Please do not accuse me of saying something I did not, you are the only poster that said it does not happen in U18, I certainly did not, all I did is discuss why I do not see a lot of difference in travel one way or another . I certainly believe lost school days are less at U18, very few if any, players miss school do to 5:30pm game and if they miss do to a late game then that is a personal decision. The early games were added to address the issue of late games and based upon the feedback I have got they have been well received. Making 3 or 4 early games per season not a big deal, especially with a lot of players done school by 2:30. We can agree to disagree on something, but please don't accuse me of saying something I did not.
Terry Nichols
Kemptville 73's GM
613-282-8310

Last edited:

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
8n
Not sure where he plays but my costs are no where near what he has told you,and that includes 5 tournaments in the Toronto area.
Hey I'm just coming on here giving perspective with my own name attached....do and say as ya want. I coached minor for Ottawa valley titans...i have coached u18...i coach Jr A....i know for a fact u18 is cheaper....also know u18 provides more opportunty for players to play at a higher level....during the Midget year with AP games...and after midget is done...

Reactions: OttawaDad1970

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
I'd be interested in Jason and Terry's take on something (and any other posters). The central Ottawa teams all have a pretty decent schedule - playing Mondays as RSP (mostly) or BSP (sometimes) is OK for them. For teams that are farther out like Pembroke, Cornwall, Hawkesbury, Smiths Falls, etc. this is not necessarily great. Would it make sense to split the league into an Eastern Conference and Western Conference and have the teams play crossover games on the weekend showcases (east teams versus west teams) but during the Monday showcases the West teams all play at BSP and the East teams all play at RSP. This would make the Monday games more manageable for all players on school nights. Is there a way for teams or parents to communicate ideas like this? Maybe it's already been considered but I think it would go a long way to solving one of the criticisms of the league.

The East Conference would be Rockland, Hawkesbury, Navan, Cornwall, OHA18, OHA17, CIHA Green, and CIHA White.

The Western Conference would be Nepean, Kanata, Smiths Falls, Ottawa, Kemptville, Pembroke, Brockville, and Carleton Place.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Went very well!!!!

What went well?
Have you seen the presentation? It is 8 pages of BS.
Not a f***ing thing about the player/kids.
Only bullshit about how they(HEO Minor will monitor the league closer.
They had 3 years to do that and they failed. So giving HEO Minor more time or another mandate to watch the U18 league is a joke.
There is more at play here than people realize. There are two open seats at the HEO BOD, President, and Developmental Chair. Junior controls the vote at the AGM so could someone at HEO Minor have made a deal with junior? We/I will support U18 we/me gets a seat at HEO BOD.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2003 dad

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
when will the decision be made?

The district chairs meet and vote next Thursday on the proposal presented. If they have any courage they will show up vote the proposal down and come up with a plan of their own.

newfan

Jun 6, 2009
The district chairs meet and vote next Thursday on the proposal presented. If they have any courage they will show up vote the proposal down and come up with a plan of their own.

I am hearing they want a 2 year extension to the pilot?...any truth to that?

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
I'd be interested in Jason and Terry's take on something (and any other posters). The central Ottawa teams all have a pretty decent schedule - playing Mondays as RSP (mostly) or BSP (sometimes) is OK for them. For teams that are farther out like Pembroke, Cornwall, Hawkesbury, Smiths Falls, etc. this is not necessarily great. Would it make sense to split the league into an Eastern Conference and Western Conference and have the teams play crossover games on the weekend showcases (east teams versus west teams) but during the Monday showcases the West teams all play at BSP and the East teams all play at RSP. This would make the Monday games more manageable for all players on school nights. Is there a way for teams or parents to communicate ideas like this? Maybe it's already been considered but I think it would go a long way to solving one of the criticisms of the league.

The East Conference would be Rockland, Hawkesbury, Navan, Cornwall, OHA18, OHA17, CIHA Green, and CIHA White.

The Western Conference would be Nepean, Kanata, Smiths Falls, Ottawa, Kemptville, Pembroke, Brockville, and Carleton Place.

Clarke74

May 7, 2015

Very good idea..

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
What went well?
Not a ****ing thing about the player/kids.
Only bull**** about how they(HEO Minor will monitor the league closer.
They had 3 years to do that and they failed. So giving HEO Minor more time or another mandate to watch the U18 league is a joke.
There is more at play here than people realize. There are two open seats at the HEO BOD, President, and Developmental Chair. Junior controls the vote at the AGM so could someone at HEO Minor have made a deal with junior? We/I will support U18 we/me gets a seat at HEO BOD.
Lol....stats don't lie....

HockeyVolunteer

Jan 8, 2016
...This would make the Monday games more manageable for all players on school nights. Is there a way for teams or parents to communicate ideas like this? Maybe it's already been considered but I think it would go a long way to solving one of the criticisms of the league.

I think it's a good idea, but the issue will most likely be getting the ice time at the 2 venues. Also, and don't shoot the messanger, the league will tell you that one of the "benefits" of having everyone play at the same place on Mondays is that all the scouts (cough) will be able to see all the teams on one night. Now you would be splitting it up between 2 locations. I like the east and west thing, and agree it would even help with the late games but logistically it'll never fly.

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
I think it's a good idea, but the issue will most likely be getting the ice time at the 2 venues. Also, and don't shoot the messanger, the league will tell you that one of the "benefits" of having everyone play at the same place on Mondays is that all the scouts (cough) will be able to see all the teams on one night. Now you would be splitting it up between 2 locations. I like the east and west thing, and agree it would even help with the late games but logistically it'll never fly.
I agree that logistically for ice it may be difficult but it wouldn't have to be at BSP only. GRC has 2 pads and with only 4 games to play it could be done on the 2 pads there. In the east end there are facilities with multiple pads outside of RSP (Ray Friel for example). With only 4 games to play on 2 pads you could have 2 6PM and 2 8PM games. The late games would mean being wrapped up by 10 or earlier which is way better than playing until past 11 like happens now. Most kids would be home before 11PM. I get the scout thing but that's where Saturdays would still be all teams in one place. The scouts could use Monday to look at specific teams and would have to choose. I think they do that anyway. The question is, how does one raise this with HEO and who do you even provide the suggestion to?

Last edited:

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
What went well?
Not a ****ing thing about the player/kids.
Only bull**** about how they(HEO Minor will monitor the league closer.
Where do you get a copy of the presentation?

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
I agree that logistically for ice it may be difficult but it wouldn't have to be at BSP only. GRC has 2 pads and with only 4 games to play it could be done on the 2 pads there. In the east end there are facilities with multiple pads outside of RSP (Ray Friel for example). With only 4 games to play on 2 pads you could have 2 6PM and 2 8PM games. The late games would mean being wrapped up by 10 or earlier which is way better than playing until past 11 like happens now. Most kids would be home before 11PM. I get the scout thing but that's where Saturdays would still be all teams in one place. The scouts could use Monday to look at specific teams and would have to choose. I think they do that anyway. The question is, how does one raise this with HEO and who do you even provide the suggestion to?
It's been suggested and apparently they are trying to work on better ice times. Hopefully it all works out

TerryN

May 17, 2016

I think it is a good idea, IMO scheduling is the single biggest area for improvement in how the league is run. That being said I think when you consider that the league started with no ice I am amazed that it even got off the ground much less get the consistency of scheduling it has now, each year has improved. I also believe if the league moves forward scheduling will continue to evolve and get better.
Personally I would like to see if each team only hosted one Saturday Showcase, instead of two, and replace the others with teams hosting home games on Saturdays. This keeps consistency of schedule but less Showcases. Even do it geographically so that travel get reduced.
Something similar could be done on Mondays but that would be more difficult ice to obtain.

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
I think it is a good idea, IMO scheduling is the single biggest area for improvement in how the league is run. That being said I think when you consider that the league started with no ice I am amazed that it even got off the ground much less get the consistency of scheduling it has now, each year has improved. I also believe if the league moves forward scheduling will continue to evolve and get better.
Personally I would like to see if each team only hosted one Saturday Showcase, instead of two, and replace the others with teams hosting home games on Saturdays. This keeps consistency of schedule but less Showcases. Even do it geographically so that travel get reduced.
Something similar could be done on Mondays but that would be more difficult ice to obtain.
Thanks Terry and Jason for the feedback. I agree that scheduling is one of the biggest areas for improvement. Let's hope it continues to get better. I like the idea of teams hosting home games on weekends and dropping to one showcase weekend per team. When is a decision being made on if the league continues past this year? Is that on Thursday this week?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad