Confirmed with Link: Ottawa signs Fredrik Claesson to a 1 year extension/$650,000

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Get ready, this guy is going to prove to everyone that he's a force to be reckon with! Best singing voice in the league, and soon to be best dman in the league! Now that Methot's out, Freddie Claesson will shine!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So, Claesson with Karlsson or do we shuffle the pairs and do like Phaneuf with Ek and Boro Ceci?

Claesson with Karlsson imo; Leave the rest the same. It will hurt us a lot on the PK and against big physical teams like WPG coming up

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think this stretch plays a big part in the expansion draft.

Or maybe if he plays well vegas takes him.

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
So doing some stats digging, and from an offence standpoint. Karlsson is 5th in Points per 60 minutes played among Defensemen. Claesson is 9th. Finally a 2nd Defensemen who isn't afraid to shoot the puck!

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
So doing some stats digging, and from an offence standpoint. Karlsson is 5th in Points per 60 minutes played among Defensemen. Claesson is 9th. Finally a 2nd Defensemen who isn't afraid to shoot the puck!

It's refreshing to see Karlsson play with a defenseman that is a threat from the point as well.

As good as Methot is, he is an absolute black hole in the offensive zone.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Eh this type of comment... Boro has his strengths, he is a vastly different player. I think Claesson should play over Boro, but he isn't "so bad that.."

This feels like a weird variation of Stockholm syndrome where we've gotten so used to Boro's horribleness that we are actually trying to convince ourselves that he has some competency ;) Boro-Syndrome you could call it :sarcasm:

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
The hate on boro is getting old, he's one of few guys on our team that actually has some heart to his game. Since his is a Claesson thread though...we need to utilize his bomb of a shot more often

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
The hate on boro is getting old, he's one of few guys on our team that actually has some heart to his game. Since his is a Claesson thread though...we need to utilize his bomb of a shot more often

Was slightly taking the **** with the Boro comment, no genuine hate at all (can't really muster up dislike of any player in the league unless they are of the Cooke variety) but I won't give him any extra credit for things like 'heart' when he is a professional and should be playing to his potential every game if possible. Agreed with keeping the thread back on track though and that Freddy's slap shot is a weapon to be used for sure.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Boro starts more scrums then anyone in the NHL. He's probably the best open ice hitter in the NHL , he'll fight anyone and win, he plays as hard as they come, and our own fans don't like.

I think Boro gets claimed by Vegas, and when he lights up Mark Stone and then Kyle Turris and then beats up Dion Phaneuf, you'll know why he's in the NHL

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Boro starts more scrums then anyone in the NHL. He's probably the best open ice hitter in the NHL , he'll fight anyone and win, he plays as hard as they come, and our own fans don't like.

I think Boro gets claimed by Vegas, and when he lights up Mark Stone and then Kyle Turris and then beats up Dion Phaneuf, you'll know why he's in the NHL

It's definitely not his offense (dead last in NHL by a wide margin among D with over 50 games) or his defense.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

I'm sorry just because you try hard doesn't mean you should be in the NHL.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

if by best open ice hitter you mean the one who causes the most odd man rushes against because he keeps putting himself out of position on attempted hits.

Listen I understand what Boro brings. I loooooooved Volchenkov, but Boro is no Volchenkov. Boro is one of the worst players in the NHL.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Idk, Boro doesn't really fight anymore and when he does it's usually a tugging match.

beaniewong

Oct 6, 2013
I thin kthe exaggeration of how Boro is bad is a little much, but it is rooted in some fact.

Watch the game and he is always 1 or 2 steps behind everyone. All that hitting that he does is because the puck is already gone. Physicality in front of the net is from the guy who tipped in the shot past him and Andy.

He is not NHL caliber. Someone grab the clip of him throwing the puck to the Red Wing bench when all 3 forwards went for a change, and he thought he was being pressured.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Was it Karlsson who told management to draft Claesson or was it Zibanejad?

I think it was Zibanejad.

Im shocked this story isn't told more on the broadcasts.

Mika and Freddie were teammates at the time at Djurgardens. It was something that was said in jest when they were interviewed about it. Obviously the Sens had been scouting Zib and they noticed Claesson.

Kinda funny that they took note of Pageau after really scouting Couturier that year too. Now after all our high picks have left from the 2011 draft, its Claesson (5th round), Pageau (4th round) and Dzingel (7th round) that are the big grabs. Sens make a living on those late rounds it seems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad