Confirmed with Link: Ottawa signs Fredrik Claesson to a 1 year extension/$650,000

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why would they do that when one of Methot or Ceci is sure to be available?

Cost/Age... I assume Ceci is protected. They have lots of D to chose from.

I did that Cap Friendly Expansion tool yesterday.. I used Autoprotect but changed NYI to 4-4-1 and protected Smith from the Sens. Also protected Murray over Fleury.
Of course there are a lot of scenarios but ...$/Value/Age/Term/Control all factors

Forwards (17/14)
Silfverberg - Anaheim (?? they likely move a D to go 7-3)
McGinn - Arizona
Carrier - Buffalo
Bouma - Calgary
Kruger - Chicago
McKenzie - Dallas
Glendening - Detroit
Letestu - Edmonton
Nolan - Los Angeles
Sissons - Nashville
Nelson - NYI (went 4 - 4 -1)
Grabner - NYR
Weise - Philadelphia
Namestnikov - Tampa
Dorsett - Vancouver (health ok?)
Eller - Washington
Armia - Winnipeg

Defense (10/9)
McQuaid - Boston
Dahlbeck - Carolina
Johnson - Columbus
Demers - Florida
Scandella - Minnesota
Lovejoy - New Jersey
Claesson - Ottawa
Dillon - San Jose
Gunnarson - St. Louis
Marincin - Toronto

Goalies (3/3)
Pickard - Colorado
Montoya - Montreal
Fleury - Pittsburgh

68.1M

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Cost/Age... I assume Ceci is protected. They have lots of D to chose from.

I did that Cap Friendly Expansion tool yesterday.. I used Autoprotect but changed NYI to 4-4-1 and protected Smith from the Sens. Also protected Murray over Fleury.
Of course there are a lot of scenarios but ...$/Value/Age/Term/Control all factors

Forwards (17/14)
Silfverberg - Anaheim (?? they likely move a D to go 7-3)
McGinn - Arizona
Carrier - Buffalo
Bouma - Calgary
Kruger - Chicago
McKenzie - Dallas
Glendening - Detroit
Letestu - Edmonton
Nolan - Los Angeles
Sissons - Nashville
Nelson - NYI (went 4 - 4 -1)
Grabner - NYR
Weise - Philadelphia
Namestnikov - Tampa
Dorsett - Vancouver (health ok?)
Eller - Washington
Armia - Winnipeg

Defense (10/9)
McQuaid - Boston
Dahlbeck - Carolina
Johnson - Columbus
Demers - Florida
Scandella - Minnesota
Lovejoy - New Jersey
Claesson - Ottawa
Dillon - San Jose
Gunnarson - St. Louis
Marincin - Toronto

Goalies (3/3)
Pickard - Colorado
Montoya - Montreal
Fleury - Pittsburgh

68.1M

Vegas having a better D corps next year than the Habs and Leafs confirmed.

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
Maybe this is my recency bias kicking in, but at this point I almost hope they take Ceci.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Claesson will be a draft casualty only if Ottawa offers Las Vegas an incentive to not select Methot.

If that happens, Dzingel or Claesson probably get taken. Maybe Wideman, but doubtful

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He's going to be protected, hopefully we're able to get someone to allow Ceci to play a role he's more suited towards.

Since Phaneuf can and prefer to play RD, it would be wise to trade Ceci (get a young developing top-6 forward, or package him to get a big upgrade at center*)

Claesson-Karlsson
Methot-Phaneuf
Chabot-Harpur/Wideman
Borowiecki

Englund and Jaros will be knocking at the door soon.

We can afford to trade Ceci, if it ensures to not lose Methot.

Does that mean LV would take Wideman or Dzingel?

* Turris + Ceci + 1st can get you a good Center, no?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Since Phaneuf can and prefer to play RD, it would be wise to trade Ceci (get a young developing top-6 forward, or package him to get a big upgrade at center*)

Claesson-Karlsson
Methot-Phaneuf
Chabot-Harpur/Wideman
Borowiecki

I might be crazy. But can that package get you a look at Malkin post expansion draft?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

Claesson-Karlsson
Methot-Phaneuf
Chabot-Harpur/Wideman
Borowiecki

Turris is a good center. For that package the Senators are going to need an exceptional center in return. Those sort of players are pretty damn rare and they're expensive taking up lots of cap room.

Trading Ceci and protecting Methot probably means that Claesson is picked by Vegas. You've probably watched the playoffs. I know Vegas has. Why would anyone pick Wideman over Claesson?

Now you've lost 2 of your 6 best defencemen who are also the two youngest. You've added salary for this fictional #1 center. You've lost depth on the blueline. You no longer have 4 top 4 defencemen. All for some incremental improvement on an injured Turris.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I might be crazy. But can that package get you a look at Malkin post expansion draft?

Not enough. And no way the Pens trade Malkin, why would they do that?

We can dream though :

Hoffman-Malkin-Stone
MacArthur-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Burrows
Stalberg-White-Pyatt

* Dzingel taken by LV

Turris is a good center. For that package the Senators are going to need an exceptional center in return. Those sort of players are pretty damn rare and they're expensive taking up lots of cap room.

Trading Ceci and protecting Methot probably means that Claesson is picked by Vegas. You've probably watched the playoffs. I know Vegas has. Why would anyone pick Wideman over Claesson?

Now you've lost 2 of your 6 best defencemen who are also the two youngest. You've added salary for this fictional #1 center. You've lost depth on the blueline. You no longer have 4 top 4 defencemen. All for some incremental improvement on an injured Turris.

I understand your points but I also don't think you can win a Cup with Turris as your #1, as much as I love him.

As for Claesson, it is a small sample size and he's not a proven player, not sure what LV thinks about this.

How many D-men do we have to protect? Karlsson, Phaneuf, Methot, Ceci, Claesson? Something's gotta give.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Can't believe he had to sit in for Boro and Harpur.

He's the only guy capable of playing with Karlsson but that doesn't mean he can step in Methot's spot right away. Let's not make the same mistake we did with Cowen and Wiercioch thinking they were ready for top 4 roles.

SensEnforcer

Nov 23, 2008
Melbourne
Not sold on him, imo sometimes takes too long to make a descion when breaking out of own zone, servicable 5-6 wont be any higher

can quote this in the next few seasons

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I understand your points but I also don't think you can win a Cup with Turris as your #1, as much as I love him.

As for Claesson, it is a small sample size and he's not a proven player, not sure what LV thinks about this.

How many D-men do we have to protect? Karlsson, Phaneuf, Methot, Ceci, Claesson? Something's gotta give.

But you can get within 1 game of the Cup final with an injured Turris as your #1. #1 guys better than Turris are rarely available and when they are, lots of teams are looking to get them. Name one that might be available. Maybe Tavares but that's it.

Vegas probably thinks Claesson's better than Wideman. He's younger with a better chance to be a better asset. Wideman's a year from UFA and he's getting less minutes in the playoffs.

Chances are the Senators are going to lose a dman to Vegas unless a trade is worked out. Trading away Ceci isn't going to change that. It just means that the Sens lose 2 instead of 1.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Not sold on him, imo sometimes takes too long to make a descion when breaking out of own zone, servicable 5-6 wont be any higher

can quote this in the next few seasons

I think he's pretty good at getting out of the corners in general. He definitely has some puck handling skills. He's sometimes weak on the clears though. Other than that I think he matches up great with the physicality side of the game and can chip in offensively on occasion. Always nice to have options for offense.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Maybe this is my recency bias kicking in, but at this point I almost hope they take Ceci.

Are you joking? Ceci is younger and has been playing the hardest minutes of any player all season long. People keep forgetting that Ceci is the youngest player on the team, playing the hardest minutes as a defenseman. Ofcourse he's going to be inconsistent.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Are you joking? Ceci is younger and has been playing the hardest minutes of any player all season long. People keep forgetting that Ceci is the youngest player on the team, playing the hardest minutes as a defenseman. Ofcourse he's going to be inconsistent.

Have you honestly seen any progression from him over the course of his career?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00