Confirmed with Link: Ottawa signs Fredrik Claesson to a 1 year extension/$650,000

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I like Claesson as much as the next guy, but top 2? Heck top 4 is a stretch. I think he's REAL solid as a bottom pairing D.

Is Methot a top-2 guy? Columbus fans told us he's a good bottom pairing guy, but here he is, playing 23+ minutes for how many seasons now? He does exactly what we need him to do alongside Karlsson so he becomes a top-pairing defenseman by default.

Claesson is playing like a clone of Methot for about 30 games now. Just like Methot, he doesn't need to be a "top 2" outside of Ottawa, just a capable partner for Karlsson

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Is Methot a top-2 guy? Columbus fans told us he's a good bottom pairing guy, but here he is, playing 23+ minutes for how many seasons now? He does exactly what we need him to do alongside Karlsson so he becomes a top-pairing defenseman by default.

Claesson is playing like a clone of Methot for about 30 games now. Just like Methot, he doesn't need to be a "top 2" outside of Ottawa, just a capable partner for Karlsson

But Methot is a lot more dependable with the puck. I still find that Claesson fumbles the puck way too much. Playing him more minutes, against tougher competition would be a recipe for disaster. He is what he is, a bottom pairing D.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
He had a great game last night. Rinse and repeat: manhandled the Pens forward, gained possession, made a simple pass. That is very Methot-like.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
But Methot is a lot more dependable with the puck. I still find that Claesson fumbles the puck way too much. Playing him more minutes, against tougher competition would be a recipe for disaster. He is what he is, a bottom pairing D.

but it's also clear that Claesson is more of a threat with the puck. He shows an ability to make creative plays that methot is completely devoid of.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
As far as im concerned Claessen is 3rd on d guys i trust most in the d zone behind Karlsson and Methot.

He needs more playing time.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Happy to hear that he's been doing well for you guys!

I'm an Swedish fan and he used to play for my favourite team here in sweden.

I've noticed they commentators pronounce his name: "claysson" it's wrong. You pronounce it "clausesson" basically.

Just thought you guys wanted to know since swedish names isn't always the easiest to pronounce.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
I love him in his current role and I hope the Sens experiment a bit with him next season to see how much he can handle.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Very impress with Claesson. I saw him against Crosby or malkin maybe 3-4 time and he didn't look out of place.

He is doing well in the role he has right now. I think he could be a good player for PP2. He's very engage and has a good shot.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Happy to hear that he's been doing well for you guys!

I'm an Swedish fan and he used to play for my favourite team here in sweden.

I've noticed they commentators pronounce his name: "claysson" it's wrong. You pronounce it "clausesson" basically.

Just thought you guys wanted to know since swedish names isn't always the easiest to pronounce.

It might be something they fix in the off-season.

It happened with Alex Chiasson where he came in from Dallas with the American pronounciation (Chay-sawn) and then announcers corrected it later on into (Shee-ay-sson).

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
It might be something they fix in the off-season.

It happened with Alex Chiasson where he came in from Dallas with the American pronounciation (Chay-sawn) and then announcers corrected it later on into (Shee-ay-sson).

Isn't it She-ass-ont? With 'ont' pronounced like the french -on in "Ont-ario" or "Bon-jour"

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Isn't it She-ass-ont? With 'ont' pronounced like the french -on in "Ont-ario" or "Bon-jour"

That's a strange example because you pronounce the "t" in Ontario...unless I have been saying it wrong my whole life...

On-ario?

But you are correct. It was She-Ass-On...with the French way of pronouncing the "on". Not a hard "n" sound like "turning on a light."

Funny thing is he went back to Chay-sson in Calgary.

edit...it's probably more of a She-aaaa-sson for pronouncing it.

double edit: props to HF for not giving "ass" the *** treatment

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Good chance Vegas takes Claesson imo... Young, Cheap looking good/serviceable.. I would definitely take him over Wideman

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: