Podcast (Audio) Ottawa Senators podcasts and blogs discussion

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Best part of the show is the guests, and Ryan was likely a big part of getting some of his ex teammates to come on.

Bobby Ryan has always done some questionable things online like liking tweets about a trump muslim ban. The WNBA stuff was dumb too. I personally don't watch womens sports but I don't get the point in trying to discredit it than ignore it.

With that said. I really enjoyed listening to Ryan and his unique perspectives on that podcast. Whenever York and Wallace would talk I would want them to shut the f*** up so I could hear what Ryan had to say. I think their views will come down and that podcast will discontinue unless they can find another popular cohost.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bobby Ryan has always done some questionable things online like liking tweets about a trump muslim ban. The WNBA stuff was dumb too. I personally don't watch womens sports but I don't get the point in trying to discredit it than ignore it.

With that said. I really enjoyed listening to Ryan and his unique perspectives on that podcast. Whenever York and Wallace would talk I would want them to shut the f*** up so I could hear what Ryan had to say. I think their views will come down and that podcast will discontinue unless they can find another popular cohost.
York is great when it comes to analysis, Ryan was better at relaying stories about his time with the team

I do hope they can find someone to come in as a third, but we're running out of ex-sens who are good in front of the camera...

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Amazing that in this day and age there are still people who haven't learned that just because you *have* an opinion and just because you *can* post on socials about it, doesn't mean you should.

If it's something that you wouldn't nominally walk into a crowded public forum and shout it out, you probably shouldn't be posting it on social media.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Well time to start working that contact list and change the name of the pod

Phillin Time with Chris Phillips
All In with Shaun Van Allen
Eavesdroppin with Patrick Eaves
Chattin with Cheech feat. Jonathan Cheechoo
On the Aire with Pascal Leclaire
Talk Back with Mac feat. Clarke MacArthur

How To Cold Approach And Find Success With Women and Finance With Spartacat

Reactions: Senscore

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Amazing that in this day and age there are still people who haven't learned that just because you *have* an opinion and just because you *can* post on socials about it, doesn't mean you should.

If it's something that you wouldn't nominally walk into a crowded public forum and shout it out, you probably shouldn't be posting it on social media.

Bobby Ryan is not sexist, I think that he is offended that the CJ Stubbs of the world have to make 500 a month and sleep 8 to a room even know they are 10x better than the best women's player in the PWHL, who are arguing they should make 100k.

I really think Ryan was just standing up for CJ Stubbs, and that's what is lost in all of this.

The problem is that Ryan was on Twitter and it was a basketball game he was upset about, and I don't think CJ Stubbs ever played pro basketball.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Bobby Ryan has always been a bozo. Was a failure as a Senator.

Someone has to get him the help he needs.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Spitting Chiclets doesn't shy away from controversy.

The Kanata Kurse includes even the media... sad.

Oh well. As Bob tweeted... he is worth $29M (minus divorces and lawsuits), hopefully he rights his ship and deletes his social media and starts a more academic path to happiness

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Spitting Chiclets doesn't shy away from controversy.

The Kanata Kurse includes even the media... sad.

Oh well. As Bob tweeted... he is worth $29M (minus divorces and lawsuits), hopefully he rights his ship and deletes his social media and starts a more academic path to happiness
I'm sure Bobby can get a gig over at barstool sports if he wants. They already cultivated a fanbase that has no issues with what he said, but coming in hot was trying to develop a broader fanbase. I don't think there'd be any issue if Ryan made his point and moved on but the guy went on for hours bickering with, and antagonizing fans over it. Alienating a good segment of your potential audience when you're a small time show and getting let go isn't an example of cancel culture, it's common sense.

Reactions: RyCam and SensHulk

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I'm sure Bobby can get a gig over at barstool sports if he wants. They already cultivated a fanbase that has no issues with what he said, but coming in hot was trying to develop a broader fanbase. I don't think there'd be any issue if Ryan made his point and moved on but the guy went on for hours bickering with, and antagonizing fans over it. Alienating a good segment of your potential audience when you're a small time show and getting let go isn't an example of cancel culture, it's common sense.
I don't think wally will be siding with bigger chunk of the fanbase.

Less attractive to many now without bob

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ryan likes the culture wars and what that is is not opinion based expressions and hurt feelings as people above have mentioned, the culture wars are simply an emotional bond to grievances [mod edit]

What Bobby is doing is getting the negative feedback he need to satisfy the sacrificial part of the culture war, he feels he’s being attacked by a senseless brainwashed mob and he’s there to hold the mantle of his truth up high and take the scares of abuse, in reality what he is doing is feeding the grievance machine and getting his fix of negativity because that’s what being a culture warrior is. Online warriors beating you up for your stupid opinions and you thinking you are being persecuted and victim of your own stupid opinions.

On thing hasn’t changed, bug portion of this fan base will always see Bobby as a victim, and those are the people he’s serving besides himself

Last edited by a moderator:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think wally will be siding with bigger chunk of the fanbase.

Less attractive to many now without bob
Sure, he's an abrasive personality, but he isn't going onto twitter and picking fights with the fanbase he's trying to attract. He's just an annoying dude.

Wallace never was the draw, he just acted as moderator of the panel, without a panel obviously the show is less interesting.

What Bobby did obviously sabotaged the show, which is a shame. Hopefully they can find someone else with valuable insight worth tuning in for. I don't think anyone was tuning in for Ryan's take on women's sports or his take on culture war issues down south, so those hot takes won't likely be missed.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
What Bobby did obviously sabotaged the show, which is a shame. Hopefully they can find someone else with valuable insight worth tuning in for. I don't think anyone was tuning in for Ryan's take on women's sports or his take on culture war issues down south, so those hot takes won't likely be missed.
I see it differently.

What Bobby did outraged some. But in media, like it or not, strong emotions result in engaged audiences.

It would appear that Wally missed a major opportunity here. He was gifted a polarizing, albeit uncomfortable situation that would have led to many new eyes and ears on his show had he opted to nurture the growth.

He chose to go the safe, milquetoast route instead.

No hashing out as a panel what the implications of Bobby’s perspective are on things like the PWHL/NHL landscape here in our market. No guest spots with the Cheryl Pounders of the world to challenge Bobby’s stance in a conversational format. No effort to allow any nuanced discussion, or pursue growth.

Wally chose to judge the morality of Bobby’s perspective with a swift split rather than explore it from a media perspective.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I see it differently.

What Bobby did outraged some. But in media, like it or not, strong emotions result in engaged audiences.

It would appear that Wally missed a major opportunity here. He was gifted a polarizing, albeit uncomfortable situation that would have led to many new eyes and ears on his show had he opted to nurture the growth.

No hashing out as a panel what the implications of Bobby’s perspective are on things like the PWHL/NHL landscape here in our market. No guest spots with the Cheryl Pounders of the world to challenge Bobby’s stance in a conversational format. No effort to allow any nuanced discussion, or pursue growth.

Wally chose to judge the morality of Bobby’s perspective with a swift split rather than explore it from a media perspective.

I think this is a double standard - you are allowing space for Ryan to live his values but not Wally. Wally has stuck by his values and what he believes in.

i feel sorry for Ryan’s wife and his daughter - sure Ryan wants us all to know he’s rich but I can guarantee you he’s not a happy person. If Bobby Ryan daughter met Bobby Ryan in a Lockeroom, he’d be looking down and diminishing her dream of pro sports

one thing I won’t miss is Ryan complaining every episode how he had to actually show up and put some work in. Sounded like a reflection of his attitude as a player. Dude probably didn’t have the guts to quit to Wally so he quit like a coward

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I see it differently.

Oh yeah, major opportunity for him to stand up against the sponsors that said, hey idk if I want my brand associated with a guy that starts a twitter war with fans trying to celebrate a milestone moment for women's sports.

Nobody gives a crap if somebody doesn't believe women's sports can be succesful, but Bobby went beyond expressing that belief, and had it out with fans who we enjoying a successful moment. Bobby is probably back on the show if he had said he sticks to his beliefs but the way he went about expressing them the other night wasn't the most respectful way of doing so, looks like he chose his path.

The show could have decided to dive headfirst into culture war topics, I'd rather they stick to discussing the team they cover since that why I listen to the show,

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
I think this is a double standard - you are allowing space for Ryan to live his values but not Wally. Wally has stuck by his values and what he believes in.

i feel sorry for Ryan’s wife and his daughter - sure Ryan wants us all to know he’s rich but I can guarantee you he’s not a happy person. If Bobby Ryan daughter met Bobby Ryan in a Lockeroom, he’d be looking down and diminishing her dream of pro sports

one thing I won’t miss is Ryan complaining every episode how he had to actually show up and put some work in. Sounded like a reflection of his attitude as a player. Dude probably didn’t have the guts to quit to Wally so he quit like a coward
I don't disagree with you though in that that Bobby's twitter war may have been a resignation of sorts. If so, nothing Wally could do, full stop. But if Bob was still willing to play ball, and Wally terminated the partnership on the grounds of misaligned values, I'm not enthused.

Brent Wallace can stick by his values, and simultaneously address why he believes his values to be the correct values to his audience. He’s in the business of media, and if he believes his stance is correct, he should not hesitate to articulate why, and allow for a different perspective to do the same.

And again, he could moderate a conversation with Bobby in a constructive and tasteful way that would add value to the women's sports world, and drive ratings forward at the same time. If Bobby intended to stay on, that is.

Reactions: vandelay

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I don't disagree with you though in that that Bobby's twitter war may have been a resignation of sorts. If so, nothing Wally could do, full stop. But if Bob was still willing to play ball, and Wally terminated the partnership on the grounds of misaligned values, I'm not enthused.

Brent Wallace can stick by his values, and simultaneously address why he believes his values to be the correct values to his audience. He’s in the business of media, and if he believes his stance is correct, he should not hesitate to articulate why, and allow for a different perspective to do the same.

And again, he could moderate a conversation with Bobby in a constructive and tasteful way that would add value to the women's sports world, and drive ratings forward at the same time. If Bobby intended to stay on, that is.

Yeah this view that everyone deserves equal time to get their stupid opinions out is from the 1960s when news was balanced and truthful and people made opinions based on facts.

Media today is an emotional story with villains and hero’s fed to an audience for consumption. So in the modern sense Bobby fought his fight and lost his job, in your ideal world where Bobby puts on a suit and grabs a pack of cigarettes and has a leveled and face to face debate where each side listened patiently to each others opinion doesn’t exist and SBr for 40 years

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
What is the truth?
That Bobby Ryan proved to be an incompetent buffoon who couldn’t keep his emotions in check by, falsely, discrediting women’s sports and effectively calling anyone who watched women’s sports a liar…do you need more reasonings to go with your obtuseness?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad