Podcast (Audio) Ottawa Senators podcasts and blogs discussion

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
For context, Family Guy has lit up the WNBA in a far more disparaging way on primetime TV. Bob’s original point about women’s sports was blunt, but wasn’t inaccurate if we’re being honest.

Had he shut off the phone after that tweet, it’s a non-issue. But he doubled down, and jousted with media folks in the process.

Feels like he’s over his own media gig and went out guns blazing. Sort of like how Costanza would blow up a minor thing to get out of a relationship with a gal he’s just not that into anymore.
A wise man once said “delete your socials”

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
For context, Family Guy has lit up the WNBA in a far more disparaging way on primetime TV. Bob’s original point about women’s sports was blunt, but wasn’t inaccurate if we’re being honest.

Had he shut off the phone after that tweet, it’s a non-issue. But he doubled down, and jousted with media folks in the process.

Feels like he’s over his own media gig and went out guns blazing. Sort of like how Costanza would blow up a minor thing to get out of a relationship with a gal he’s just not that into anymore.
those shows are sitcoms, they’re supposed to make fun of current events and push boundaries (which were done many moons ago, not recently).

The point was about how far women’s sports have come along, garnering so much attention than in the past so this angle from Bobby Ryan doesn’t make much sense, never mind the obvious insecurity he’s displaying being part of a male dominated sport rather than propping up women’s sports in general.

Guy is proving to be an idiot, he made comments before as well of ppl protesting in St. Louis while ‘disturbing his sleep’

Reactions: Flamingo and RyCam

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
I don't think Bobby is misogynistic, but he is a bit pickled by the culture wars. It's very easy to truly believe your particular echo chamber is the one that has the facts, and that everyone else is just disingenuously woke, or a dumbass egg in the basket of deplorables, depending on your view. Bobby mistook his personal beliefs for universal truth. I'm not really in to women's sports in the same way, but I'm aware others are, and I'm aware there is an imbalance that it would be good for society to close the gap on a little.

Reactions: Micklebot

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Honestly, if CIH can find a way to move forward, I bet they get more engagement.

One way or another people would engage with Bobby coming in hot with his takes.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Bobby Ryan has always been a half effort guy and that what Brent Wallace is dealing with now. Ryan sabotaged their podcast because he has no discipline and despite being the inspiration guy for some in reality Ryan doesn’t mind punching down on people

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Bobby Ryan doesn't want to watch women sports. He isn't buying the hype. He is allowed to express that and he should be allowed to have an opinion that doesn't jive with the Emperor Wallace. It isn't sexist, he simply doesn't like it, and that should be fine in this democratic world. Brent can disagree with him and tell him why, and Bpbby can counter with his opinion. Instead of firing Bobby, he should look at this as an opinion that can bring his fledgling podcast the same type of eyes and ears that Shannon Sharpe and the other guy get. Pat McAfee has unpopular opinions at times and guests or media will push back. It is a free world (still?).

I have two daughters. I enjoy watching women's soccer at the Olympics or World Cup. I have watched the Ottawa Alert. I use to watch a lot of downhill skiing, and honestly there are some sports better than others on the women's side. Tennis. Golf. I like some of them, and if Bobby doesn't then that it is his right.

You can't force someone to like something.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Bobby Ryan doesn't want to watch women sports. He isn't buying the hype. He is allowed to express that and he should be allowed to have an opinion that doesn't jive with the Emperor Wallace. It isn't sexist, he simply doesn't like it, and that should be fine in this democratic world. Brent can disagree with him and tell him why, and Bpbby can counter with his opinion. Instead of firing Bobby, he should look at this as an opinion that can bring his fledgling podcast the same type of eyes and ears that Shannon Sharpe and the other guy get. Pat McAfee has unpopular opinions at times and guests or media will push back. It is a free world (still?).

I have two daughters. I enjoy watching women's soccer at the Olympics or World Cup. I have watched the Ottawa Alert. I use to watch a lot of downhill skiing, and honestly there are some sports better than others on the women's side. Tennis. Golf. I like some of them, and if Bobby doesn't then that it is his right.

The issue wasn’t that Bobby doesn’t like watching women’s sports. It’s that he decided that because he doesn’t, that no one else does. And that he decided to spend an entire day and countless responses arguing with people despite the ratings indicating there were in fact a lot of people watching.

It was an incredibly odd thing to get caught up in. I think most people can appreciate that whether they have interest themselves or not, it’s a good thing that women’s sports are getting more attention than they once did. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around wanting to spend a stupid amount of time fighting about it. Does it even matter if people can name 5-7 players? Every year millions of people that don’t watch football tune into the Super Bowl. Viewership doesn’t have to be split into die-hard fan or nothing.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Ironic thing about Ryan is when he was playing hockey in Ottawa a lot of people didn’t want to watch his half efforts either, so he’s probably an expert on part of this argument he’s making because he’s lived it - being massive hype for something that turns out to be very uninspiring

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
The issue wasn’t that Bobby doesn’t like watching women’s sports. It’s that he decided that because he doesn’t, that no one else does. And that he decided to spend an entire day and countless responses arguing with people despite the ratings indicating there were in fact a lot of people watching.

It was an incredibly odd thing to get caught up in. I think most people can appreciate that whether they have interest themselves or not, it’s a good thing that women’s sports are getting more attention than they once did. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around wanting to spend a stupid amount of time fighting about it. Does it even matter if people can name 5-7 players? Every year millions of people that don’t watch football tune into the Super Bowl. Viewership doesn’t have to be split into die-hard fan or nothing.
I think his "investment" makes sense through the lens of the culture wars, which are particularly prominent in the US. Some of that stuff has leaked out around the edges with Bobby before. If I had to guess, it was some version of a belief that the popularity and viability of women's sport is a kind of fictitious souffle from the woke left, and that wallowing in such a delusion will reduce access to men's sports, while we all end up forced to watch ringette on prime time. Or something.

Reactions: Flamingo and PlayOn

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I think his "investment" makes sense through the lens of the culture wars, which are particularly prominent in the US. Some of that stuff has leaked out around the edges with Bobby before. If I had to guess, it was some version of a belief that the popularity and viability of women's sport is a kind of fictitious souffle from the woke left, and that wallowing in such a delusion will reduce access to men's sports, while we all end up forced to watch ringette on prime time. Or something.
Yeah, considering he showed up to the podcast in a “wokeness breeds weakness” hoodie, I’m sure this is the case. That he even owns that item of clothing tells me all I need to know.

Last edited:

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Ryan and Methot are cut from the same cloth, Yorkie's pretty conservative himself tho more in a classical sense. Why does Wallace keep gravitating to these types if he can't handle any deviation from 'the herd'? Just weird choices from a guy who clearly wants to stay away from controversy.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to the upcoming "The Wally and Tim Thomas Podcast." Third time's the charm

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA

I guarantee you none of the ppl you mentioned like pat Mcafee or Shannon sharpe have doubled down on discrediting women’s sports as being legitimately interesting for the wider audience vs ‘pretending to like it’. I’m in the states, I listen to these guys and others and no one in their right mind would ever do this.

This isn’t an opinion he was sharing that is suddenly getting him cancelled, some of you really lack the context or just don’t give enough shits to look into it yourself. See that response directly to Ian’s tweet, see all the other bickering matches Bobby engaged in. He’s in this mess because of himself and no one else. Not sure why some ppl are trying to blame Brent, he didn’t make Bobby say those things. They have also have big name sponsors, you really think they also want to be associated with this twat?

and NO I’m not a wnba fan or ncaa fan or in general follow any women’s sports. What Bobby said isn’t the same as ‘women sports are not for me’

Last edited:

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
“Today’s cancel culture, woke culture, division, etc… that really bugs me. In the spirit of that, you either succumb to that and be what other people want you to be, or you be yourself and be real. And that might make people upset and piss people off, and that’s OK.”

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
It’s a shame, from a content perspective, Bobby’s connections and his telling it like it is in the rooms etc.

But man, he should have known better. Just let it go. Or maybe there’s a deeper self-sabotage psych thing happening, who knows.

Hopefully Yorkie doesn’t bail. Wallace is a bit hard to listen too, for a career media guy his brash “aaahs” and other interjections really mess with the flow. Down to two, he will have more airtime as it is. I tune in for what the “other guys” have to say, the other guys keep changing though.

It would be cool if Mendes was into it, but probably wouldn’t work as it would dilute the NHL experience on the panel.

Reactions: Flamingo

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Does Pierre Dorion have an NDA or No Compete? I've always found that he has a unique charisma that could translate well to podcasting.

It’s a shame, from a content perspective, Bobby’s connections and his telling it like it is in the rooms etc.

But man, he should have known better. Just let it go. Or maybe there’s a deeper self-sabotage psych thing happening, who knows.

Hopefully Yorkie doesn’t bail. Wallace is a bit hard to listen too, for a career media guy his brash “aaahs” and other interjections really mess with the flow. Down to two, he will have more airtime as it is. I tune in for what the “other guys” have to say, the other guys keep changing though.

It would be cool if Mendes was into it, but probably wouldn’t work as it would dilute the NHL experience on the panel.

If you're ever going to do a podcast and you want to "tell it how it is", you need to go with a value for value type model, because e en if how you think it is is how the sponsors think it is, what it is changes over time, and you could end up not knowing what it is and inadvertently voted off your podcast.

Ryan should start his own podcast. He is worth 27 million dollars. He doesn't need sponsors. Force Ryan Dzingel to cohost with him. Dzingel is only worth about 4 million, so he can't say no. It would be a good show.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Well time to start working that contact list and change the name of the pod

Phillin Time with Chris Phillips
All In with Shaun Van Allen
Eavesdroppin with Patrick Eaves
Chattin with Cheech feat. Jonathan Cheechoo
On the Aire with Pascal Leclaire
Talk Back with Mac feat. Clarke MacArthur

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad