This might be to many games but it would be fun

Wednesday)CCHL 2 All Star Game
CCHL All Star Game

Thursday)Ottawa 67s vs Kingston
Gatineau vs Quebec

Friday)Carleton vs Ottawa
Alumni Game

Saturday)Montreal vs Ottawa

There is zero chance of it being more then a weekend thing.

Considering that the actual NHL game will be played on Sunday the 17th...not the Saturday....given the circumstances this will just be a weekend event. You don't want to overdo the novelty of the outdoor rink by basically having every area team play on it leading up to the Sunday. There's has to be some sort of prestige to it.

Anyways, that said, Jeff Hunt has already mentioned the possibility of the 67s playing Gatineau in the regular season outdoors barring CHL approval.

That could bring in a good gate if the prices are decent(especially considering the NHL game on the Sunday will be sold out months prior, and the Alumni game on the Saturday will be pricey too).

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
There is zero chance of it being more then a weekend thing.

Considering that the actual NHL game will be played on Sunday the 17th...not the Saturday....given the circumstances this will just be a weekend event. You don't want to overdo the novelty of the outdoor rink by basically having every area team play on it leading up to the Sunday. There's has to be some sort of prestige to it.

Anyways, that said, Jeff Hunt has already mentioned the possibility of the 67s playing Gatineau in the regular season outdoors barring CHL approval.

That could bring in a good gate if the prices are decent(especially considering the NHL game on the Sunday will be sold out months prior, and the Alumni game on the Saturday will be pricey too).

Would be interesting to see what way they go with the 67s do they try and make as much money as possible or do they try and set an attendance record.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Have't heard anything about this lately. I thought at one time they said it would have to be finalized in January.

A couple of weeks ago Melnyk said something about not being sure all the seats would be sold and wanting to get the mayor involved.

But nothing since then,just talk about the games in Sweden.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
The radio guys talked about it last week. I want to say it was Mendes interviewing Dreger. At any rate, they said it's still very much on the table and that the potential Swedish trip is unrelated and shouldn't affect the likelihood of the outdoor game.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
The radio guys talked about it last week. I want to say it was Mendes interviewing Dreger. At any rate, they said it's still very much on the table and that the potential Swedish trip is unrelated and shouldn't affect the likelihood of the outdoor game.

I had understood Dreger to say that it was possible to have both the outdoor game and the games in Sweden an that one didn't necessarily preclude the other. .
I didn't hear him say that it was still on though I hope it is.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
STILL on the table?

084.png

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Have't heard anything about this lately. I thought at one time they said it would have to be finalized in January.

A couple of weeks ago Melnyk said something about not being sure all the seats would be sold and wanting to get the mayor involved.

But nothing since then,just talk about the games in Sweden.

This is where its gets confusing certain media reported the team was worried about seats and some twisted that into attendance then other legit reports said Melynk wanted to have the right amount of seats per Nhl requirements and wanted the Mayor to help the talks with Oseg.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Well it does seem to be odd. This is more recent than the one I had seen before by Garrioch.
Hard to say if there are too many seats and Melnyk is worried about filing them all or not enough seats to satisfy the requirements of the NHL.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/outdoor-nhl-game-ottawa-2017-1.3956945

Senators owner Eugene Melnyk mentioned there had been some issues with the discussions about the game's details.

"There are some hiccups and they have to do with what we hope is the right attendance number. We have an issue, so we're hoping to resolve it," he said Thursday.

"We've gone to the mayor to look at getting some assistance there. We need to be comfortable that we can fill that stadium."

Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson said Saturday that "assistance" doesn't mean the city will pay for any extra seating that would most likely be needed for the game.

"The NHL requires a certain number of seats and we want to make sure we accommodate that at Lansdowne [Park]," he said.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I had understood Dreger to say that it was possible to have both the outdoor game and the games in Sweden an that one didn't necessarily preclude the other. .
I didn't hear him say that it was still on though I hope it is.

Sorry, yeah, you're right. "Still on the table" is me reading between the lines. I took that statement to mean that he hasn't heard anything that would suggest it's not going to happen. Any 'hiccups' seem more like they're from the Ottawa side than the NHL, I guess. I was thinking more from the NHL discussion standpoint.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
STILL on the table?

084.png

My words. Last we heard, the NHL was in discussions with Ottawa about an outdoor game. We have no reason to think that game has been denied, therefore that game is "still on the table" according to me. Sounds like there may be logistical issues on the venue end perhaps, though.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Stop bumping this thread! Keep getting my hopes up! :rant:

I think it will happen. They seem like they are too deep in to scrap it.

Re: seating, it is confusing how Melnyk worded it.. OSEG says they bring in an extra 10k seats for the Grey Cup. That's only 34,000, not a very big number and will EASILY be filled, even if they weren't playing the Habs (which definitely ensures that it will be a sellout). Is it then the fact that 34,000 isn't enough?

Need some clarification on this new obstacle, because it seems like a non-issue if they are worried about selling 34k seats.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Tom was on Cfra today and said Ottawa will have a outdoor game an official announcement will be in the next couple weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad