Confirmed with Link: Ottawa Senators part ways with assistant GM Trent Mann (mod warning post 128)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I wouldn't call it jealousy. Sure I think almost anyone can do a better job than him and he has a really sweet job. You don't see the same sentiment here against Mendes that you see against Garrioch.

As a fan I value objective reporting. I want the reporter to be able to ask questions that make the person being interviewed feel a little uncomfortable because as a fan those are likely the questions I want answers for.
The difference between Mendes and Garrioch is huge. Mendes is 46 and went to journalism school. He graduated in the late 90s and desired a career in sports reporting from day one. With AAA ball, football and NHL hockey in this town, that was a legitimate career aspiration

Garrioch is pushing 60 if not already there. There was no aspiration to become an NHL beat writer in Ottawa for early 80s high school kids. It just wasn't a realistic ambition. As I said, Garrioch hit the jackpot. The sun literally shone on his ass. He fell backwards into a career that is super cool for sports fans pretty much entirely by good luck.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
The difference between Mendes and Garrioch is huge. Mendes is 46 and went to journalism school. He graduated in the late 90s and desired a career in sports reporting from day one. With AAA ball, football and NHL hockey in this town, that was a legitimate career aspiration

Garrioch is pushing 60 if not already there. There was no aspiration to become an NHL beat writer in Ottawa for early 80s high school kids. It just wasn't a realistic ambition. As I said, Garrioch hit the jackpot. The sun literally shone on his ass. He fell backwards into a career that is super cool for sports fans pretty much entirely by good luck.
Fraternities and societies my brother. The right handshake can move boulders. Naive to think things just fall as they do

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

It’s also awesome to see the local fan base attack a guy struggling with mental health issues so regularly. It is a good story.

Reactions: JD1

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It’s also awesome to see the local fan base attack a guy struggling with mental health issues so regularly. It is a good story.

Having mental health issues is not a free pass to be a pretentious ass to others.

And as far as I've seen, no one has bullied or called out Bruce (or anyone else involved in the media/organization ) for their mental health issues. I think everyone here knows that kind of shit is below the belt.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Having mental health issues is not a free pass to be a pretentious ass to others.

And as far as I've seen, no one has bullied or called out Bruce (or anyone else involved in the media/organization ) for their mental health issues. I think everyone here knows that kind of shit is below the belt.

You don't always see what I have deleted over the years. ;)

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
When someone says something about Garrioch being replaced for the betterment of the teams image.

Defense.gif

When someone says something bad about Wallace or Karlsson using more toxic language.

Attack.gif

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA

Funny how Garrioch can gaslight the fan base whenever he wants and then the first sign of pushback from fans, he blocks them and hides behind ‘my mental health’ BS. Yeah I don’t buy it, sorry. His actions seem to me very contradictory of his own condition and downright hypocritical

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Funny how Garrioch can gaslight the fan base whenever he wants and then the first sign of pushback from fans, he blocks them and hides behind ‘my mental health’ BS. Yeah I don’t buy it, sorry. His actions seem to me very contradictory of his own condition and downright hypocritical

That's what I mean. He acts like an ass to a lot of people (I know, some do deserve it, but a lot don't) and then we get this "mental health" kind of defense. Mental health goes both ways.

It's kinda funny...I almost miss Don Brennan. He was a jackass, but he also knew the assignment and played up the role with abandonment. Garrioch still doesn't know how to heel properly, and pretends to be a babyface when he gets blowback, and it just doesn't work. Either commit to one persona or the other. Don't half ass it.

Reactions: SensHulk

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That's what I mean. He acts like an ass to a lot of people (I know, some do deserve it, but a lot don't) and then we get this "mental health" kind of defense. Mental health goes both ways.

It's kinda funny...I almost miss Don Brennan. He was a jackass, but he also knew the assignment and played up the role with abandonment. Garrioch still doesn't know how to heel properly, and pretends to be a babyface when he gets blowback, and it just doesn't work. Either commit to one persona or the other. Don't half ass it.
Social media is a f***ing awful place. Apart from here, i pretty much avoid it and always have avoided it.

Garrioch gets attacked on social media for doing his job. He posts content and it doesn't matter what he says, how he says it or who he is posting about, there are people that are going to attack him. Some viciously.

Do you get attacked on a daily basis for doing your job? I'm guessing no.

And then look at Methot. Idk if he's planning a full time media future but if he is, he needs to be careful. We live in an age of everyone having the ability to express an opinion and anonymously argue. There's nothing on Twitter that prequalifies people to have opinions and that's the problem. Very few people on Twitter that want to argue with Methot have earned the right to exchange opinions with him. The average Joe Fan? Probably should just shut up and listen when a guy like Methot expresses an opinion.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Social media is a f***ing awful place. Apart from here, i pretty much avoid it and always have avoided it.

Garrioch gets attacked on social media for doing his job. He posts content and it doesn't matter what he says, how he says it or who he is posting about, there are people that are going to attack him. Some viciously.

Do you get attacked on a daily basis for doing your job? I'm guessing no.

And then look at Methot. Idk if he's planning a full time media future but if he is, he needs to be careful. We live in an age of everyone having the ability to express an opinion and anonymously argue. There's nothing on Twitter that prequalifies people to have opinions and that's the problem. Very few people on Twitter that want to argue with Methot have earned the right to exchange opinions with him. The average Joe Fan? Probably should just shut up and listen when a guy like Methot expresses an opinion.
I think Methot needs to learn how to deal with troublesome people and make appropriate responses to them. That would help him move his media career forward. You can get training for that. :)

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The best way to find the right answer on the internet is not to ask the right question, but to post the wrong answer. Because people are more interested in criticizing others than helping them.
So true! People are also more interested in criticizing and gotchas than discussion. You can see examples of that here everyday. Are we here to consult or to contend?

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So true! People are also more interested in criticizing and gotchas than discussion. You can see examples of that here everyday. Are we here to consult or to contend?
Or bitch, bellyache, criticize, vent and entertain?

I used to have to lead and chair meetings of small and large groups of people from different organizations. It took me a while to learn how to do it. I had to learn not to react quickly because it often times left me with "foot in the mouth" disease or revealed how not intelligent and informed I was. :)

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Or bitch, bellyache, criticize, vent and entertain?

I used to have to lead and chair meetings of small and large groups of people from different organizations. It took me a while to learn how to do it. I had to learn not to react quickly because it often times left me with "foot in the mouth" disease or revealed how not intelligent and informed I was. :)
I don't mind criticism if it has a basis. I don't think you'll get the same point of view when you have such a wide range of people.

But, it is nice when you can come to a place like this to learn and discuss things. I think for some it's more about the gotchas than the discussion. That's why I used the cliche (question): "Are we here to consult or contend?"

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Methot needs to learn how to deal with troublesome people and make appropriate responses to them. That would help him move his media career forward. You can get training for that. :)
I imagine a guy in his position gets a lot of hate because of who he is & because he tells people what they don't know about the NHL & I'm quite sure a good number of them not only don't like it, a lot of them probably think they know better than him. I don't think people realize the game within the game at the NHL level & what really goes on between players & all the trash talking & intimidation that goes on. :fight:

It's interesting how many NHL players are for fighting as an example that so many fans want out of hockey & it's also interesting how guys like Methot & Bieska talk about the need for toughness & how much push back they get for it. Yet yr after yr we see how tough the NHL playoffs are, we see more & more teams building bigger & tougher teams & we see what it takes for a team to win a SC. You need skilled guys, but you also need tough guys to protect your skilled guys, it's a delicate balance & those teams that find that balance are usually the teams at the top of the league. Remember the way Don Cherry used to talk about the tough guys in hockey & how this board would blow up when he did & how crazy people got when he kissed Bieska. :laugh:

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Did we ever get an explanation for why he was fired and/or who made the decision to fire him? My guess is because the 2021 and 22 drafts arnt looking too promising

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Did we ever get an explanation for why he was fired and/or who made the decision to fire him? My guess is because the 2021 and 22 drafts arnt looking too promising
Likely has more to do with a rift between Dorion and Mann due to the firing of Troy.

2022 is looking like quite a good draft considering they never had a top 60 pick. It's not looking that promising because they traded away an early 1st and early 2nd

Pettersson, Donovan and Halliday all looking like smart picks.

Reactions: DrEasy and Bileur

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Likely has more to do with a rift between Dorion and Mann due to the firing of Troy.

2022 is looking like quite a good draft considering they never had a top 60 pick. It's not looking that promising because they traded away an early 1st and early 2nd

Pettersson, Donovan and Halliday all looking like smart picks.
Wasn't there some talk of Nordberg looking closer than originally thought too? Or am I misremembering something...

He seems like an intriguing player.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Wasn't there some talk of Nordberg looking closer than originally thought too? Or am I misremembering something...

He seems like an intriguing player.
I thought Nordberg had some good days at the Development Camp, he's big, very good skater for a big guy & he made a beauty of a shootout goal during one of the drills, so he has some decent skill. However, he is a left shot which probably puts him behind a few players including Kleven who was showcased at the DC & maybe Donovan & Sebrango. Not sure where I heard this, but with his size, speed & skill level I wonder if they would consider moving him to LW?

I expect that both Petersson & Nordberg if they sign him, to come over next season to start their pro careers with Belleville. Jorian Donovan could also start his pro season after this season with them. This is a good example of how Ott continues to bring in a few good young players every yr, this yr Ostapchuk, Boucher & Merilainen start their pro careers. Should be an interesting yr in Belleville & Ott for Sokolov, Crookshank, Jarventie, Kleven, JBD & Greig & where they are in their development. That's 12 young prospects mentioned here who have NHL potential & could over the next few yrs start making an impact in Ott. Some may not but some will, we'll see.

Reactions: Icelevel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad