Confirmed with Link: Ottawa Senators part ways with assistant GM Trent Mann (mod warning post 128)

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Just get the whole gang back together. Andlauer can course correct the toxic Melnyk era.

Leblanc already gone. Bring back Leeder and Alfie. Fire Dorion with a one sentence thanks. Fire Garrioch as the PR man and replace him with Wallace for the laughs. Honor Stone and Karlsson's 2023 trophies in their first game back. New coach now or next summer. Retire Karlsson's number in a few years and bring him back.

All would be right in Sens land again.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Wallace holds himself as a respectable journalist to me. Doesn’t do the clown thinks Garrioch does on Twitter (low bar) , has a pod cast to provide the fan base some content. As someone who has been listening to the WAM show before coming in hot, I can appreciate having a podcast to listen to.

Not afraid to ask tough questions which sadly left serious consequences I am excited to see what he does when he gets his access back to the team
99% of my issues with him has nothing to do with his job as a journalist. Although he do think he has been saying a whole bunch without actually saying anything of substance the last couple years.

Reactions: SENStastic and DJB

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Will never happen. Banned for good.

There's a reason he is not employed.

RedBlacks seem happy with using him as their sideline guy and he does a good job at it. If he was that bad a guy I’m sure they’d find someone else to do the job.

You can dislike the guy without pretending to know something.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just get the whole gang back together. Andlauer can course correct the toxic Melnyk era.

Leblanc already gone. Bring back Leeder and Alfie. Fire Dorion with a one sentence thanks. Fire Garrioch as the PR man and replace him with Wallace for the laughs. Honor Stone and Karlsson's 2023 trophies in their first game back. New coach now or next summer. Retire Karlsson's number in a few years and bring him back.

All would be right in Sens land again.
The Sens or Andlauer cannot fire Bruce Garrioch, he doesn't work for them, he works for Postmedia, parent company for the Ottawa Sun newspaper which is who employs BG & have for over 30 yrs. Why do people think he works for the Sens? He's had plenty of negative & positive stories for the Sens over the yrs. He gets paid to sell newspapers, must be working because he is still employed there.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The Sens or Andlauer cannot fire Bruce Garrioch, he doesn't work for them, he works for Postmedia, parent company for the Ottawa Sun newspaper which is who employs BG & have for over 30 yrs. Why do people think he works for the Sens? He's had plenty of negative & positive stories for the Sens over the yrs. He gets paid to sell newspapers, must be working because he is still employed there.
Context matters here. Fire him as the PR man makes sense because the implication is that Garrioch is who the organization has typically leaked news to when they want more positive coverage. It wouldn't be firing in the traditional sense, moreso in the sense of using a different reporter as the source for organizational news. It would be a big step toward restoring public opinion because Garrioch certainly isn't especially well-liked in either journalism or Sens circles.

(Which is not to say Wallace would be an improvement, of course, but I'm not touching that one. :laugh:)

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
C'mon my man, you know how they roll. I'm not an idiot. Obviously not fired from his Post Media position, but no longer the guy they feed info to as their unofficial PR channel. Surely, they could influence his TSN guest speaker position in intermissions as well.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Context matters here. Fire him as the PR man makes sense because the implication is that Garrioch is who the organization has typically leaked news to when they want more positive coverage. It wouldn't be firing in the traditional sense, moreso in the sense of using a different reporter as the source for organizational news. It would be a big step toward restoring public opinion because Garrioch certainly isn't especially well-liked in either journalism or Sens circles.

(Which is not to say Wallace would be an improvement, of course, but I'm not touching that one. :laugh:)

He creates good content. Mainstream isn't the f***ing "investigative" bloggers.

• Haha
Reactions: Emerica

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I feel like I'm just being patronized when that part of his role gets disputed. Love him or hate him, but lets be real.
It won't be anyone else other than Postmedia or Bellmedia
Who even works for Postmedia anymore in Senators coverage context. Is Bruce the last one standing?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
C'mon my man, you know how they roll. I'm not an idiot. Obviously not fired from his Post Media position, but no longer the guy they feed info to as their unofficial PR channel. Surely, they could influence his TSN guest speaker position in intermissions as well.
He is a staple in Ottawa, it's not going to happen & the Sens continue to give him access.

He writes for the Ottawa Sun he has to be there to do his job & because he is at most news conferences he gets the message as does others in the room, if they are there. It's simply not true he is the PR guy for the Sens, I've sat next to him at Dev Camps & the Sens let the news guys there know if they have something to announce, I've seen it. Most of the time Garrioch is the only news guy there, that has also happened numerous times & he gets the sound bite. Gord Wilson is only around during the 3 on 3 development camp tournament at the end of camp. It's rare to see other journalists around. Sometimes they let them ask questions & sometimes they tell them there will be no questions taken.

Reactions: Cosmix

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He is a staple in Ottawa, it's not going to happen & the Sens continue to give him access.
Cool. All the power to you. Different opinions and all that.

Just felt like you were talkin to me like I'm a dummy pretending his role isn't what it is or that you didn't know what I meant when I said fired. Who you prefer in that seat is a different debate.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think most people realize this. I think what many are saying is that they would prefer someone else.
Yes, I get that, but he's been doing this job for over 30 yrs, unless he does something egregious it's not happening. Having said that though one would have to think he is probably close to retiring at some point soon. Gord Wilson & Dean Brown have been covering the Sens from day 1 too in Ottawa & also will likely be there until they retire. Maybe there replacements are better & maybe not, who knows? But one thing is for sure HF gets no say on who the replacement will be. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Garrioch serves a purpose and generally is a good read. I think most folks only take issue when he gets a bit too cozy with Dorion and it seems like he spins the 'company line' in an article. Usually this happens if a player is in negotiations or if a trade is made. Garrioch sometimes paints the departing player in a bad light in order to make the trade seem more palatable to the fans. And he is never very critical of Dorion or Melnyk. BUT, he doesn't have to be. He can have his own opinion and that's fine as well. I think some readers believe (falsely or not) that he has a wink-wink, nudge-nudge relationship with Dorion that gains him extra access as long as the stories are never too critical. Is that true? Who knows? He has an arrogance and petulance in some of his tweets that rubs people the wrong way and is unprofessional. It could also be a foil to increase engagement on Twitter and put eyes on his articles. Even detractors read his articles, if only to find something they don't like.
I guess we'll see what happens once new ownership/new GM is installed and then press access to the team will be scrutinized by all the bloggers I'm sure. Lol.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Garrioch serves a purpose and generally is a good read. I think most folks only take issue when he gets a bit too cozy with Dorion and it seems like he spins the 'company line' in an article. Usually this happens if a player is in negotiations or if a trade is made. Garrioch sometimes paints the departing player in a bad light in order to make the trade seem more palatable to the fans. And he is never very critical of Dorion or Melnyk. BUT, he doesn't have to be. He can have his own opinion and that's fine as well. I think some readers believe (falsely or not) that he has a wink-wink, nudge-nudge relationship with Dorion that gains him extra access as long as the stories are never too critical. Is that true? Who knows? He has an arrogance and petulance in some of his tweets that rubs people the wrong way and is unprofessional. It could also be a foil to increase engagement on Twitter and put eyes on his articles. Even detractors read his articles, if only to find something they don't like.
I guess we'll see what happens once new ownership/new GM is installed and then press access to the team will be scrutinized by all the bloggers I'm sure. Lol.

That's the thing... only an idiot would bite the hand that feeds them.

Of course BG doesn't attack the organization.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Media personalities usually either rub you the right way or the wrong way. Nothing nefarious. Sort of like announcers and play by play. I always like Gary Galley when he did our games and I read so many negative comments about him.

I think we can thrive getting some younger people in some of these positions that can help our team shake the small town little man team syndrome we seem to carry.

It also seems fair game to troll Wallace until the cows come home, without ever backing up the why, so not sure why such sensitivity about Garrioch.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yes, I get that, but he's been doing this job for over 30 yrs, unless he does something egregious it's not happening. Having said that though one would have to think he is probably close to retiring at some point soon. Gord Wilson & Dean Brown have been covering the Sens from day 1 too in Ottawa & also will likely be there until they retire. Maybe there replacements are better & maybe not, who knows? But one thing is for sure HF gets no say on who the replacement will be. :laugh:
The inevitable nature of Bruce is like death and taxes then.

• Haha
Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad