GDT: Ottawa Senators at Vancouver Canucks - 10PM - TSN5/RDS2 - Putting 2023 in the back of the net. Letting the Goals Rain Down in Rain City Edition

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
His response to the question about players being upset that DJ was let go was also... troubling.

He didn't say, "that's not an issue."
He said (essentially), "they haven't won anything in the last 5 years, not even close, and need to get over it."

Leads me to believe that these guys are pouting that their buddy isn't there anymore.
I was driving home when I heard this, and just about drove off the road. I was blown away with how honest JM was, and how willing he was to lift the curtain and give a look behind the scenes. This is the benefit of being 71 years old, serving in an interim role, and feeling free to call it like you see it. There are some key guys still sulking because of DJ's firing, and it would certainly seem that 7 and 18 are the prime suspects. JM was dead right - what do you expect? It's a results driven business, and these guys failed to deliver results. It's not very complicated. They are young, and this is the first time they have gone through this. It sucks to have a coach you loved replaced with a guy who isn't nearly as warm and fuzzy. It's an unpleasant part of the business, but it is part of it and they had better shake it off soon...

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I was driving home when I heard this, and just about drove off the road. I was blown away with how honest JM was, and how willing he was to lift the curtain and give a look behind the scenes. This is the benefit of being 71 years old, serving in an interim role, and feeling free to call it like you see it. There are some key guys still sulking because of DJ's firing, and it would certainly seem that 7 and 18 are the prime suspects. JM was dead right - what do you expect? It's a results driven business, and these guys failed to deliver results. It's not very complicated. They are young, and this is the first time they have gone through this. It sucks to have a coach you loved replaced with a guy who isn't nearly as warm and fuzzy. It's an unpleasant part of the business, but it is part of it and they had better shake it off soon...
I'm just listening now and it seems like an extended version of what we heard in the post game interview. So glad he's taking the piss out of these rich kids. They need to wake up and start working for their meals.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I think this is a ridiculous take.

PD did not make all bad trades... he built a team that all the media and most fans fawned over. Some fans cannot see that Ottawa was not on many top players list of teams, and this made the rebuild difficult. This core is good. It can get better. As I said before, we needed another Giroux, but getting that leadership is just not available for this market. (Alfie can fill in a little, but we need that character on the ice).

EM has been gone for eons. Get over it.

DJ helped a lot of the players get moving. Why things have regressed, is a good question. I think, like many do, that DJ couldn't get them to the next level. That's fine. They should have let him go before the season, though because of the delayed ownership change, this didn't happen.
They are not a Giroux away from a good core they are 29th in the league lol

We dont have another Giroux not because Ottawa is not attractive to UFAs we are against the cap and that is because of those ridiculous country club contracts
His response to the question about players being upset that DJ was let go was also... troubling.

He said (essentially), "they haven't won anything in the last 5 years, not even close, and need to get over it."

Leads me to believe that these guys are pouting that their buddy isn't there anymore.
Yup
And after losing for 5 years they would have liked DJ to stay and keep losing not willing to do ANYTHING to win at all cost
That core is not winning anything
Total rebuild is the only option
29th ffs
Behind MTL and Buf lol

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Nobody is going to stop working hard at their job because their uncle or sister lost their job lol
And its familly
Get over DJ losing his job , grow up and be a Pro
That is if you can be a Pro wich is questionnable with some on this team

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
That ‘awful goal song’ is called “Don’t You (forget about me)” by Simple Minds, and is the theme song for the movie The Breakfast Club.

The problem isn’t the song, it’s those people who don’t appreciate legendary 80’s music.

Doesn’t help that we had to hear it 6 times during the game though lol!
Ha! Yes. Just heard it way too many times only reason I took notice. I definitely appreciate 70s through 90s music generally much more than most current stuff.

Certain choices drive me nuts....Leafs as example totally ruined Hall and Oates for me. They even drove Elliotte Friedman nuts with that one to the point he kept bringing it up in studio requesting change. lol One of the Spengler Cup teams was using 'Sweet Caroline' as a goal song. Just made me shake my head.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and NyQuil

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There's a movie? I don't mind the song as such, but it sucks as a goal song. Though the comment was more an allusion to how often it played
Breakfast club is an 80s classic, one of the 'brat pack' series of movies along with St Elmo's fire, Pretty in pink, sixteen candles, that featured Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson, Emilio Estevez, Molly Ringwald, ect.

Terrible as a goal song, but the movie (and song imo) are great.

Reactions: NyQuil and Flamingo

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
There's a movie? I don't mind the song as such, but it sucks as a goal song. Though the comment was more an allusion to how often it played
Didn't watch any of the Van goals. Are they still using Simple Minds' "Don't You Forget About Me"? Definitely a weird goal song choice, but their arena music choices are a typical Gen-X Vancouver mood.

Reactions: maclean

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Breakfast club is an 80s classic, one of the 'brat pack' series of movies along with St Elmo's fire, Pretty in pink, sixteen candles, that featured Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson, Emilio Estevez, Molly Ringwald, ect.

Terrible as a goal song, but the movie (and song imo) are great.

Ah, sure, Breakfast Club was a good movie. I dont think I saw it until my teens though, so I was never as obsessed with it as everyone else seemed to be, so I don't particularly associate the song with it (didnt watch it a million times, maybe just once?)

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I literally embedded the video of the song when played in the movie earlier! *indignant emoji*

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I literally embedded the video of the song when played in the movie earlier! *indignant emoji*

I very much did not read the whole thread sowwy :puppy:

(apropos, this site has so many emojis and there's never one that expresses what I want to express)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Well look at Timmy and Brady play lol. I didn’t need Jacques to clarify. AJ essentially knew as well

That quote from Timmy in the Mendes article is embarrassing. These kids have been left unchecked for so long.

Playing horribly and he’s talking about contract. Man no one gives a f*** about your contract.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Kind of telling about how much they love DJ but still were unwilling to play defence to save his job. Yeah DJ sucked. But the kids certainly did nothing extra to stop him from being fired

Reactions: Alex1234

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Melnyk years were shoestring until we finished tanking - agreed
I said PD made some bad trades, but he also put togther a good core. MAde some good decisions in the draft. We have some good pieces. There is an issue with goaltending that no one seems to be able to figure out, nor have any media pundits attempted to tackle.
DJ should not have seen 23/24 season. Agreed.
Injuries and goaltending is a major issue, IMHO.
Yes, we have some good young players and should retain them. I hope the new GM does not trade our draft picks for older, ageing, declining players for a quick fix.

Injuries, goaltending and team defensive play (without the puck) are major issues. I hope we can reduce the goals against without also reducing our goals scored for no net gain.

I blame all 3 of Melnyk, Dorion and Smith for the poor overall performance and am happy all of them are gone. I hope the new owner, new POHO/GM and new coaching staff will improve performance but it will take some time

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ha! Yes. Just heard it way too many times only reason I took notice. I definitely appreciate 70s through 90s music generally much more than most current stuff.

Certain choices drive me nuts....Leafs as example totally ruined Hall and Oates for me. They even drove Elliotte Friedman nuts with that one to the point he kept bringing it up in studio requesting change. lol One of the Spengler Cup teams was using 'Sweet Caroline' as a goal song. Just made me shake my head.

I still love that penalty song at the WJCs that drove Ray Ferraro batshit crazy.

• Haha
Reactions: lang006

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
30% Melnyk, 65 % Dorion, 5% DJ.

The GM built this team and hired the coach and extended him. This is Dorions mess more than anyone. He made the terrible deals, he burned the assets.
I think DJ deserves more credit for the abysmal record but probably less than Dorion. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad