GDT: Ottawa Senators at Vancouver Canucks - 10PM - TSN5/RDS2 - Putting 2023 in the back of the net. Letting the Goals Rain Down in Rain City Edition

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I thought you were criticizing my essay as overly descriptive.

He did indeed.
Not at all. My comment is when you start looking at what is wrong with the players is that it can become an essay pretty quickly due to the number of things that can be identified. I was supporting your reply.

Reactions: NyQuil

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yorkie and Bobby provide some good analysis on Defensive zone play.
Compounding mistakes . Not getting in lanes to block shots. Level of awareness , not knowing what to do. Dzone Draw assignments.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
JM seemed resigned to realizing there is only so much he can do. It is becoming clear that although DJ was questionable as a coach he wasn't the only problem.
DJ wasn't the only problem; he was about 33% of the problem (poor coaching), we also had Dorion at 33% (bad trades and draft picks) and Melnyk at 33% (low budget). Thank goodness we don't have them at the top now.

Reactions: LiseL and Emrasie

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Making it stick and instinctive under the pressure of a good team takes time though. Old ingrained habits die harder in a game, than in a blackboard or practice session.

Fastest team sport in the world.

Sometimes you have to sit in the 100s to regain appreciation of how insanely fast these guys have to make decisions.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Man I was at work and missed the beginning. Saw the score. Now I'm happy I was at work lol.
I can relate. I always PVR the games then start watching it about 45 minutes in so I can fast forward the commercials. I goofed and selected the Pacific Sportsnet feed instead of TSN5 so I missed the 1st period. When I saw the score was 5-0, I burst out laughing and was glad I missed it. I knew I'd find out all I need to know on what happened in the 1st by reading this thread today.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
DJ wasn't the only problem; he was about 33% of the problem (poor coaching), we also had Dorion at 33% (bad trades and draft picks) and Melnyk at 33% (low budget). Thank goodness we don't have them at the top now.
I think this is a ridiculous take.

PD did not make all bad trades... he built a team that all the media and most fans fawned over. Some fans cannot see that Ottawa was not on many top players list of teams, and this made the rebuild difficult. This core is good. It can get better. As I said before, we needed another Giroux, but getting that leadership is just not available for this market. (Alfie can fill in a little, but we need that character on the ice).

EM has been gone for eons. Get over it.

DJ helped a lot of the players get moving. Why things have regressed, is a good question. I think, like many do, that DJ couldn't get them to the next level. That's fine. They should have let him go before the season, though because of the delayed ownership change, this didn't happen.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
@NyQuil I agree on the fast decisions. I sit first row 200s and it's a very different appreciation than watching on TV.

There's a sloppiness to our play that doesn't get addressed and at times gets rewarded. Chabot's first game back, he's carrying it up ice on the PP, does the drop back, it's picked off and we lose 30 seconds of PP time. It's almost like he was unaware the other team is allowed to disrupt that pass.

And then on the Buffalo goal, he had plenty of time yet he put JBD in a bad position and the puck went in the net. 13 seconds left.

Two sloppy plays. One cost us a goal. One cost us the pp1 shift on the PP. End result. We won. Chabot gets the 2nd star.

We got lucky that those plays didn't cost us a game. Unless Jacques has lost his edge, I assume he addressed both plays behind the scenes

I'm not picking on Chabot per se, but both were lazy plays from our last win. Chabot coming off a long layoff. He's not tired. Your 8M dollar man simply can't do that. Stuetzle is no better with the sloppiness (but I do think he's playing hurt). Chychrun brain farts it too.

Our best players need to be better and way more focused on the details it takes to win.

Reactions: DrEasy and NyQuil

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
@NyQuil I agree on the fast decisions. I sit first row 200s and it's a very different appreciation than watching on TV.

There's a sloppiness to our play that doesn't get addressed and at times gets rewarded. Chabot's first game back, he's carrying it up ice on the PP, does the drop back, it's picked off and we lose 30 seconds of PP time. It's almost like he was unaware the other team is allowed to disrupt that pass.

And then on the Buffalo goal, he had plenty of time yet he put JBD in a bad position and the puck went in the net. 13 seconds left.

Two sloppy plays. One cost us a goal. One cost us the pp1 shift on the PP. End result. We won. Chabot gets the 2nd star.

We got lucky that those plays didn't cost us a game. Unless Jacques has lost his edge, I assume he addressed both plays behind the scenes

I'm not picking on Chabot per se, but both were lazy plays from our last win. Chabot coming off a long layoff. He's not tired. Your 8M dollar man simply can't do that. Stuetzle is no better with the sloppiness (but I do think he's playing hurt). Chychrun brain farts it too.

Our best players need to be better and way more focused on the details it takes to win.

I thought you were section 323?! ;)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I typically sit in the 200s as it’s the best balance between tactical appreciation of the game and the frenetic ice-level action.

But I’ve been a few rows back from the glass and the speed that the puck moves around on say a PP is dizzying.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I typically sit in the 200s as it’s the best balance between tactical appreciation of the game and the frenetic ice-level action.

But I’ve been a few rows back from the glass and the speed that the puck moves around on say a PP is dizzying.
I sat on the glass once on tickets that were won. Honestly didn't like it. I find there's too much of the rink you can't see

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Especially the corners. It’s worth doing at least once just for the experience.
Where I was was beside that pair of seats where they do the "fan upgrade"

I'll never forget how hard Bobby Ryan was hit into the glass right in front of me. He just kept right on going like it was nothing. Makes you realize how bad some of these hits are that guys don't get up from.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Quote from Jacques today:

"These guys can do it (be detail oriented), it's just a matter of putting their minds to it"
I'm glad JM sees and agrees that the players aren't putting their minds to it in
Basically saying it's a matter of will. Which is scary. There isn't much you can do to motivate these players when they have these long term deals and the team is pressed against the cap.

Reactions: Relapsing

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Basically saying it's a matter of will. Which is scary. There isn't much you can do to motivate these players when they have these long term deals and the team is pressed against the cap.

His response to the question about players being upset that DJ was let go was also... troubling.

He didn't say, "that's not an issue."
He said (essentially), "they haven't won anything in the last 5 years, not even close, and need to get over it."

Leads me to believe that these guys are pouting that their buddy isn't there anymore.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I was beginning to worry that they might start winning games and play themselves out of the Celebrini lottery and only to miss the playoffs by a few points. Kind of like how they did with the Tyler Boucher draft. Looks like that worry was about nothing.
Too soon to draw that conclusion as there are many more games to play.

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
His response to the question about players being upset that DJ was let go was also... troubling.

He didn't say, "that's not an issue."
He said (essentially), "they haven't won anything in the last 5 years, not even close, and need to get over it."

Leads me to believe that these guys are pouting that their buddy isn't there anymore.

Sometimes it’s not as much about missing DJ as feeling responsible for his canning.

I remember interviews with players where they acknowledged that they felt guilty when a coach gets fired. In the case of this team, he’s the only coach most of them have ever known at this level.

It’s a bit like getting traded for that first time. After that it gets easier.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Sometimes it’s not as much about missing DJ as feeling responsible for his canning.

I remember interviews with players where they acknowledged that they felt guilty when a coach gets fired. In the case of this team, he’s the only coach most of them have ever known at this level.

It’s a bit like getting traded for that first time. After that it gets easier.

When Denis Savard was fired, Patrick Kane cried in an interview. He went on to lead his team to a 45-22 record and scored 70 points... as a 19-year-old.

Whatever they're feeling, these guys need to get over it and show up. They're professionals, and not even that young, by NHL standards.

They have been coddled way too much.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Yeah... This "core" has until the trade deadline to get this shit together, and I've been seriously doubting since JM took over that they have the capability to do so.

I said it largely jokingly a few weeks ago, but now I'm way more serious: strip everyone of their letters. They have the rest of the season to earn them back.

Reactions: bert and LiseL

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
This is absolutely a DJ issue lmao what am i reading? They haven’t learned anything

We’re going on 7 years of shit. Matthews Marner etc always make it in even if they fail after

Honestly, this core is just overrated. I am guilty of it too.
You are not alone. Can they buy in to playing the right way night in, night out? If not, then they can all be dealt for all I care.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
I was beginning to worry that they might start winning games and play themselves out of the Celebrini lottery and only to miss the playoffs by a few points. Kind of like how they did with the Tyler Boucher draft. Looks like that worry was about nothing.
That is the historical pattern, After the season is a write-off and the pressure released some wins get racked up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad