GDT: Ottawa Senators at Buffalo Sabres - 7PM - TV - Buick Le Sabre Rattling Exhaust

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I can't believe people here took the bait from Dorion. They are so bad. This is roster selection and personnel issues. Huge problems.
I've wanted him gone as soon as he took over as Murray's protogee. Both had absolutely no GM experience, and it has shown in the standings ever since.

Lucky for us, we finally have an owner with $$$ who will get the ball rolling, but will unfortunately have to trade some of these core players.

Now we will see if our new GM has what it takes. Hopefully he finally hires an experienced coach. Something we have never had.

This also unfortunately will not happen overnight!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I can't believe people here took the bait from Dorion. They are so bad. This is roster selection and personnel issues. Huge problems.
What I find interesting is how much worse we look this year compared to last year.

Out: DeBrincat, Watson, Holden, Brassard, Gambrell, and Talbot

In: Tarasenko, Kubalik, Korpisalo, and a Full season of Chychrun and Norris

Who among us thought that we'd get significantly worse by swapping:

Holden out for a full year of Chychrun?
Debrincat out a full year of Norris?
Brassard out for Tarasenko?
Watson out for Kubalik?
Gambrell out Greig?
Talbot out for Korpisalo

I guess you can add to the out with Pinto suspended, that's a big loss, but man, on paper, we should be at least the same as last year, but instead it's a disaster.

Now, I get that the mix is off, too many puck moving LHD, not enough steady body clearing physical D. Too many offensive wingers, not enough responsible grinding/energy guys that can kill penalties. But, we should at least have a good PP with the mix we have, but we don't.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What I find interesting is how much worse we look this year compared to last year.

Watson out for Kubalik?
Gambrell out Greig?
Talbot out for Korpisalo

I guess you can add to the out with Pinto suspended, that's a big loss, but man, on paper, we should be at least the same as last year, but instead it's a disaster.

Now, I get that the mix is off, too many puck moving LHD, not enough steady body clearing physical D. Too many offensive wingers, not enough responsible grinding/energy guys that can kill penalties. But, we should at least have a good PP with the mix we have, but we don't.
Maybe it’s that it’s all the veteran experience put the door.

A grasp at straws I know, but that’s a lot of games played that we no longer have on the ice and in the room.

Guys like Holden and Watty were glue guys, and Brass too apparently.

Reactions: swiftwin

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
It's tough with the way the team is playing, hard to say if you're getting a fair assessment or if that player could be incredibly useful when things turn around.

It's odd we addressed the D for the first time in how long? Sanderson coming into his own and adding Chychrun. They've looked legitimately horrible though. It just seems like we need another Zub type stabilizer.

We apparently had scouts in Calgary. I could see us go and make a trade with them

Yeah. I was pretty pissed off last night. We need to wait and see how they play the rest of this year. But they both look awful right now.

Reactions: Boud and Ice-Tray

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Watson out for Kubalik?
Gambrell out Greig?
Talbot out for Korpisalo

And then you compare last year's roster (which finished 12th worst) to the team in 2020/21 (which finished 10th worst) and it makes zero sense how this iteration of the Sens could be significantly worse.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

A grasp at straws I know, but that’s a lot of games played that we no longer have on the ice and in the room.

This also explains why Staios says we need to bring in veteran help.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Agreed. I didn't like the Tarasenko signing. I said we should have focused on a defensive minded winger instead. Dorion's last season wasn't his best. We sure could use someone like Gudbranson right now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

So, special teams to me is the difference, PK in particular went through a major change;

Kelly, Joseph, Watson, Gambrell, Motte Hamonic, Holden, Sanderson, Brannstrom, Zaitsev

became

Kelly, Joseph, Giroux, Stutzle, Chartier Hamonic, Zub Sanderson, Brannstrom, JBD

We actually saw improve results 5v5 this year under DJ, we had a GF% of 46.04% last year, under DJ this year we were 50.85. But on the PK we went from over 80% last year to 72% under DJ this year (and further dropping since),

Reactions: Ice-Tray

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
He had some objectively terrible shifts.

That's the thing about this team imo, just about everybody can play well and throw it all away with 2 or 3 shifts of brutal decisions.

We don't need guys taking over shifts and dominating, we need guys that can go 60 mins without handing the opposition avoidable quality chances. We need to make team earn their goals,

The details just aren't there, and Idk how long it's supposed to take to re-ingrain them into a players instinctual game, but until that happens, our guy's instincts are taking them out of plays for offense that isn't there, trying to play the puck when you need to take the man, and making dangerous decisions at the blue lines.
I think part of the issue is that they are thinking too much right now, and it is leading to more mistakes. We saw in the third that when they played hard and the right way, they dominated all zones. We also saw that their mistakes are currently amplified. Personally I believe its too much thinking the game instead of just playing the game. Hopefully some practices at home will help. I finally saw them moving as a unit in the D and neutral zone last night. It looked like they were starting to get how they needed to play. Chychrun has had some bad games. So has the entire team. They need to support each other out there.

Reactions: Relapsing

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think part of the issue is that they are thinking too much right now, and it is leading to more mistakes. We saw in the third that when they played hard and the right way, they dominated all zones. We also saw that their mistakes are currently amplified. Personally I believe its too much thinking the game instead of just playing the game. Hopefully some practices at home will help. I finally saw them moving as a unit in the D and neutral zone last night. It looked like they were starting to get how they needed to play. Chychrun has had some bad games. So has the entire team. They need to support each other out there.
Sens have dominated in the 3rd being down by 2-3 goals before. Score effects makes a difference in what the team with the lead is doing. Really hard to gauge how much is a result of the Sens taking over or the Sabres sitting back.

That said. I thought they started fine and the Forsberg injury and not ready to play Korpisalo came in and gave up 2 quick ones.
They seemed to settle down and then gave up the Keystone cops 2 on 1 goal.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Sens have dominated in the 3rd being down by 2-3 goals before. Score effects makes a difference in what the team with the lead is doing. Really hard to gauge how much is a result of the Sens taking over or the Sabres sitting back.

That said. I thought they started fine and the Forsberg injury and not ready to play Korpisalo came in and gave up 2 quick ones.
They seemed to settle down and then gave up the Keystone cops 2 on 1 goal.
I saw signs that they are playing more as a unit last night. It wasn't just Buffalo sitting back. When Buffalo got in our zone in the third, I saw our team rotate into the zone with all players, get the turnover, and move out as a unit with the puck. I didn't see the cherry picking I've seen in other games. Definitely more cohesiveness, harder checking, more poise.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I saw signs that they are playing more as a unit last night. It wasn't just Buffalo sitting back. When Buffalo got in our zone in the third, I saw our team rotate into the zone with all players, get the turnover, and move out as a unit with the puck. I didn't see the cherry picking I've seen in other games. Definitely more cohesiveness, harder checking, more poise.
I think they generated more high-danger shots than in other recent games too. Though that might have been due to the quality of competition.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Not gonna lie I also thought it was a good roster before this season but the difference between me and Dorion is that I'm not highly paid to do proper analysis and scouting reports to make sure that players who are brought in are a good fit.

With that said I still believe the core is solid, but years of being "DJ'd" have sucked the life out of them. What's also becoming very apparent is we need more vet presence and physicality. I guess PD thought Boucher and Kleven would be the solution to that but one is a paper tiger and the other needs at least one more season to reach this level.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I think they generated more high-danger shots than in other recent games too. Though that might have been due to the quality of competition.
They look like they actually had a flow to their game in the third. I've not seen that type of flow in many many games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad