GDT: Ottawa Senators at Buffalo Sabres - 7PM - TV - Buick Le Sabre Rattling Exhaust

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
What happens now

It's weird because in a way there's probably no point to change anything right now but on the other hand is it really acceptable to stand path?

It'll be interesting to see what Staios does.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
First game I’ve watched in about 2 or 3 weeks, but IMO Chychrun is an objectively bad hockey player. Really makes some bad decisions, with and without the puck.

I've watched him play long enough to know he's a very good #3 dman. Probably don't want him on the 1st pairing but what you're seeing right now is just a byproduct of being on a team that has totally fallen apart. Almost no one looks good.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's times like this you wish you could just say "you know what, we forfeit the next 10 games"

This team clearly needs a mental reset.
I was gifted tickets to Jan 29th vs the Preds so I'll be watching that game but I'm done watching this team for a bit.

I encourage some of you to do the same. We don't need this drag. 10 nights spent doing something else sounds great.

Last edited:

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
My key takeaways:

1. Staios loves a good chew, and doesn’t care who’s watching. Ryan Bowness likes a good chew as well, but tries to do it stealth, pretending to drink coffee when he’s spitting.
2. Jamie Baker is actually Captain Obvious.
And he calls every routine save like it belongs on the highlight time. (Bring back Mike Johnston as a regular please, screw the Leafs).

3. On the 7th day, the Claudfather was created. Our oldest player is our best AINEC. One of these things is not like the others.
Overdue to have a front office that dips.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I've watched him play long enough to know he's a very good #3 dman. Probably don't want him on the 1st pairing but what you're seeing right now is just a byproduct of being on a team that has totally fallen apart. Almost no one looks good.
And here I thought he was one of our better players tonight.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
First game I’ve watched in about 2 or 3 weeks, but IMO Chychrun is an objectively bad hockey player. Really makes some bad decisions, with and without the puck.
He sometimes is really bad, but also sometimes really good. All of our D have been making terrible decisions. Tonight I saw quite a few bad plays from Sanderson and Chabot. They need to all wake up.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
He sometimes is really bad, but also sometimes really good. All of our D have been making terrible decisions. Tonight I saw quite a few bad plays from Sanderson and Chabot. They need to all wake up.
Seems to me they all forgot how to defend. Match speed, close gap, line up shoulders, stick on stick, in that order. And do it confidently at the blue line. They’re playing scared, or they’re playing way too loose.

The swagger has to start with a f***-no-you-aren’t-scoring attitude. Transition off of that.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I've been a really big CHabot fan but I think I've finally lost patience. He is too lackadaisical out there. It's awful. Trade him.

And for those saying " we can't trade him until we know what Chychrun is doing" ? I say trade him too. He makes horrible decisions and makes plays that exhibot next to no situational awareness.

I'd rather run: Sanderson - Brannstrom - Kleven (no NHL experience) for ~$11.5 Million than I would run Chabot - Sanderson - Chychrun for ~$23M.

SO frustrating.

Reactions: LiseL and bicboi64

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I've been a really big CHabot fan but I think I've finally lost patience. He is too lackadaisical out there. It's awful. Trade him.

And for those saying " we can't trade him until we know what Chychrun is doing" ? I say trade him too. He makes horrible decisions and makes plays that exhibot next to no situational awareness.

I'd rather run: Sanderson - Brannstrom - Kleven (no NHL experience) for ~$11.5 Million than I would run Chabot - Sanderson - Chychrun for ~$23M.

SO frustrating.

It's tough with the way the team is playing, hard to say if you're getting a fair assessment or if that player could be incredibly useful when things turn around.

It's odd we addressed the D for the first time in how long? Sanderson coming into his own and adding Chychrun. They've looked legitimately horrible though. It just seems like we need another Zub type stabilizer.

We apparently had scouts in Calgary. I could see us go and make a trade with them

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's weird because in a way there's probably no point to change anything right now but on the other hand is it really acceptable to stand path?

It'll be interesting to see what Staios does.

I'm leaning towards stand pat. Let the players gut through this miserable year. Show them just how much losing sucks. Then hope everyone comes back with a new attitude where they'd drive through a brick wall to avoid losing again.

Reactions: Relapsing

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I'm leaning towards stand pat. Let the players gut through this miserable year. Show them just how much losing sucks. Then hope everyone comes back with a new attitude where they'd drive through a brick wall to avoid losing again.
I dont think its going to come from within
They need to be taught how to play to be effective in the NHL
My opinion only but I think some of them arent good enough and need to be traded

Reactions: Adrianopolous

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Sit Timmy if possible--- his attention to detail at our blue lines is atrocious. Consistently tries to stick handle through 3 guys... enough.
Trade a d or 2 -- doesn't matter who minus Sanderson
Bring up Soooogaaard and sit korpisalo
Fire goalie coach

The beatings will continue until morale improves

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I dont think its going to come from within
They need to be taught how to play to be effective in the NHL
My opinion only but I think some of them arent good enough and need to be traded

Mental fortitude is the one thing that has to come from within.

But yes, there are a few players here that likely aren't good enough.

Reactions: Alex1234

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And here I thought he was one of our better players tonight.
He had some objectively terrible shifts.

That's the thing about this team imo, just about everybody can play well and throw it all away with 2 or 3 shifts of brutal decisions.

We don't need guys taking over shifts and dominating, we need guys that can go 60 mins without handing the opposition avoidable quality chances. We need to make team earn their goals,

The details just aren't there, and Idk how long it's supposed to take to re-ingrain them into a players instinctual game, but until that happens, our guy's instincts are taking them out of plays for offense that isn't there, trying to play the puck when you need to take the man, and making dangerous decisions at the blue lines.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
72 has never held the blue line in his life. He likely doesn't trust his game to do that
You learn to do it in peewee. It's hard so obviously he won't even attempt it.

Probably for the better. Hard to believe how much he was glazed after the hire.
If you listen to what he has said to the media he is bang on in what this team needs to change about its game. They're just not doing it. Blaming Jacques on any level here if you were preaching about systems with DJ means you have no idea what you were watching before or after.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
I'm of the opinion that many people thought the coaching change would fix things semi-immediately. This is going to take a lot longer than even I thought. The pieces are here. You can see in the defensive zone right now the players doing double takes on their plays to correct themselves from previous habits, it just isn't there yet. This will take time to implement. These players have been playing free reign hockey for far too long.

I have faith in the group overall and the core, but it likely won't come to fruition until later on in the year. I also tend to think this times well with the decline of some of the teams in the Atlantic - let's be honest here, we weren't going to be making much noise this year coming out of this division anyways. This might be a blessing in disguise to grab that high pick, sell off our assets and pick up some draft capital.

scout20

Jul 21, 2022
I believe players should not be given ice time they need to start earning ice time. Example Ridly Greig played well last night put him on the 1st power play unit. Start limiting ice time to those players who appear to me going through the motions.

Reactions: chipsens and Sting

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
IMO the losing and poor culture resulting from said losing have totally screwed up this group of players. Nearly everyone looks like a shell of themselves. The only guys that look like they are playing to their potential are Tarasenko, Giroux, Kubalik, Greig, and Kelly. And two of those guys are borderline NHL players.

At this point I don't think Scotty Bowman himself can turn around their collective psyches. Some changes need to be made in terms of personnel to change the culture, but you can't get rid of guys for pennies on the dollar or throw the baby out with the bath water, so to speak.

I'd hate to be Staois right now. I don't know how you even evaluate these players accurately given the collective trauma they seem to have inherited from the Melnyk era.

Reactions: WallyD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad