Proposal: Ottawa - Minnesota before Expansion Draft

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The face-offs do jump out as a negative, especially when we already struggle so badly there. The contract isn't great, but I don't think it's bad if he can serve as a top-9 center.

I'm less concerned about his point totals this year since it looks like he's been used mostly in a defensive role this year. He doesn't have a ton of powerplay time, but 2 goals and 2 (primary) assists in ~50 minutes isn't bad. It'd be good for like 3rd in Minnesota this year (which, uh.... not a high bar, I admit). Eye-test wise he seems like he's got a good shot and decent hands, so if he's been holding his own defensively on a struggling team I think it bodes well. One could say a lot of the same things about Hartman though, so maybe I'm just squinting at fool's gold here.

Jost worries me because he's only ever stood out as mediocre on some good Avalanche teams, but he also jumped into the NHL pretty young. Maybe he just takes the long way to figuring things out.

As for the value concerns, this is what happens when the GM puts himself behind the 8-ball. We can complain about lowball offers, but realistically Dumba's going to return nothing but the opportunity to not lose Soucy, Greenway or Foligno instead.

You wrote, “Just because a player would need to be traded for salary”. What else could that possibly mean. You’re trading him to move salary off the books is what I read.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
The face-offs do jump out as a negative, especially when we already struggle so badly there. The contract isn't great, but I don't think it's bad if he can serve as a top-9 center.

I'm less concerned about his point totals this year since it looks like he's been used mostly in a defensive role this year. He doesn't have a ton of powerplay time, but 2 goals and 2 (primary) assists in ~50 minutes isn't bad. It'd be good for like 3rd in Minnesota this year (which, uh.... not a high bar, I admit). Eye-test wise he seems like he's got a good shot and decent hands, so if he's been holding his own defensively on a struggling team I think it bodes well. One could say a lot of the same things about Hartman though, so maybe I'm just squinting at fool's gold here.

Jost worries me because he's only ever stood out as mediocre on some good Avalanche teams, but he also jumped into the NHL pretty young. Maybe he just takes the long way to figuring things out.

As for the value concerns, this is what happens when the GM puts himself behind the 8-ball. We can complain about lowball offers, but realistically Dumba's going to return nothing but the opportunity to not lose Soucy, Greenway or Foligno instead.

There was an article the other day that Seattle could be interested in soucy or Talbot because of their contract

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
You wrote, “Just because a player would need to be traded for salary”. What else could that possibly mean.

Do you think John Tavares would be traded without taking salary back? Do you think John Tavares has value? If I have a one-car garage, and I am getting a new car but can only do so if I get rid of my old one, does that mean the new car is worthless?

Also, you responded to the wrong person. You seem very confused, in general.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Do you think John Tavares would be traded without taking salary back? Do you think John Tavares has value? If I have a one-car garage, and I am getting a new car but can only do so if I get rid of my old one, does that mean the new car is worthless?

Also, you responded to the wrong person. You seem very confused, in general.
I think Tavares is a good nhl top 6 C with full NMC. White is a bottom six overpaid winger.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I think Tavares is a good nhl top 6 C with full NMC. White is a bottom six overpaid winger.

Yes, those are indeed facts that are tangentially related to the discussion. Very salient of you.

You aren't able to grasp the logic behind the statement, so be it... it's there and it's clear.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
We have to add to greenway to get Brannstrom?
I would think so. Brannstrom is 3 year younger, has a better draft pedigree, plays a far more valuable position. Greenway in his D+6 season is having a good year but his growth potential is more limited than Brannstrom based on developmental years. Greenway is approaching his prime years (24-29), Brannstrom still has some years to develop his game before he hits those prime years. Add in years of control and expansion draft (Brannstrom is exempt) and I agree that Brannstrom carries more value as an asset than Greenway.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
I would think so. Brannstrom is 3 year younger, has a better draft pedigree, plays a far more valuable position. Greenway in his D+6 season is having a good year but his growth potential is more limited than Brannstrom based on developmental years. Greenway is approaching his prime years (24-29), Brannstrom still has some years to develop his game before he hits those prime years. Add in years of control and expansion draft (Brannstrom is exempt) and I agree that Brannstrom carries more value as an asset than Greenway.

Is this serious haha.

Brannstrom wouldn't play on wild, & calen Addison

Wild don't need or want Brannstrom

Wild aren't trading greenway for a d prospect

You actually thinking a prospect is better than NHL 1st line winger is comical

Reactions: keppel146

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
There was an article the other day that Seattle could be interested in soucy or Talbot because of their contract
And there will be an article the week after that about how they could want Foligno because they like his leadership qualities. And one after that about how appealing Greenway is as a unique combination of size, skating and hands. There will be a veritable avalanche of articles coming at this from every different direction, but the likeliest scenario is still Dumba getting exposed and selected. And then we can look forward to articles about how that was unavoidable and, when you really think about it, a good thing.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
And there will be an article the week after that about how they could want Foligno because they like his leadership qualities. And one after that about how appealing Greenway is as a unique combination of size, skating and hands. There will be a veritable avalanche of articles coming at this from every different direction, but the likeliest scenario is still Dumba getting exposed and selected. And then we can look forward to articles about how that was unavoidable and, when you really think about it, a good thing.

I've already kind of resigned myself to the fact that Dumba won't be back next season...even if SEA doesn't take him, I have a feeling that Guerin will want that $6 million of cap space to give him more flexibility moving forward with the future contract needs and trade him this summer for futures/prospects....and I honestly I think that's the right call.

Would've been better to move him last summer, but its hard to fault Guerin for not wanting to trade him for peanuts.

Reactions: MK9

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Pinto is the target for MN is they are dealing with Ottawa. Minnesota has a huge need for RHC that win a draw. Brannstrom is a nice prospect but Wild don't have a need for him. Something around Greenway/Dumba for Pinto makes much more sense for Guerin.

Ottawa and Minnesota both biggest need is center position.

If Pinto keeps progressing, they literally can't move him.

I do think Wild should be targeting that kind of player, if they can't get him expose Dumba. Most teams who tried to deal ended up losing a 1st and a good asset making Vegas a powerhouse early.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I've already kind of resigned myself to the fact that Dumba won't be back next season...even if SEA doesn't take him, I have a feeling that Guerin will want that $6 million of cap space to give him more flexibility moving forward with the future contract needs and trade him this summer for futures/prospects....and I honestly I think that's the right call.

Would've been better to move him last summer, but its hard to fault Guerin for not wanting to trade him for peanuts.
I've been resigned to losing Dumba since Brodin's extension; I don't love it but I get it. I just can't rectify "lose him for nothing but cap space" with "don't trade him for peanuts."

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
I proposed in the other thread: Both 1st's and Dumba for Ottawa's 1st. Overpayment by Minnesota but gives us a shot at a top tier prospect and solves our expansion dilemma.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Is this serious haha.

The fact that your trying to parade around Greenway like hes a real first line player is probably the most comical takeaway from all of this...

Hes a nice top 6 winger for sure, dont get me wrong. But I just posted this in another thread - Dmen will continue to have a hugely inflated value in this league. And smart GMs will NEVER trade one unless its for obvious reasons. Especially a young promising one trending in the right direction.

So yes if you expect to land a 21yr old dman whos a PPG player in the AHL/Europe, former 1st round pick, WJC star, and the highly touted prospect that was the centerpiece in a MAJOR trade. Its gonna take at least Greenway and probably a little more to even have Dorion return the phone call.

Like ask yourself seriously, what kind of Dman do you think that Greenway is able to fetch by himself? Im curious, and fairly sure you'd be very underwhelmed. Especially with the expansion draft coming up.

Reactions: Sens9292

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I proposed in the other thread: Both 1st's and Dumba for Ottawa's 1st. Overpayment by Minnesota but gives us a shot at a top tier prospect and solves our expansion dilemma.
Except that this draft is loaded with LHD, and has very few, if any, elite C prospects like Stutzle, Byfield, and even Rossi. Beniers is the best C available- would love him, but he is not projected to be elite, or even a #1C by many- and that is the only target. If MN drafted BPA available in the draft they would likely end up with another D prospect, unless they got lucky.

If you want to get risky, you trade that pkg to a team for their 2022, or 2023 1st rounder. I know it will never happen, but Wright, Bedard, or Michkov are projecting to be superstars.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Except that this draft is loaded with LHD, and has very few, if any, elite C prospects like Stutzle, Byfield, and even Rossi. Beniers is the best C available- would love him, but he is not projected to be elite, or even a #1C by many- and that is the only target. If MN drafted BPA available in the draft they would likely end up with another D prospect, unless they got lucky.

If you want to get risky, you trade that pkg to a team for their 2022, or 2023 1st rounder. I know it will never happen, but Wright, Bedard, or Michkov are projecting to be superstars.
Agreed. This seems like a good draft to take our chances with two picks at the bottom of the 1st instead of spending big to push into the top-10.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Is this serious haha.

You acting like Greenway is a 1st line winger is wayyyy more comical...

Reactions: Sens9292

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa

Its a very reasonable proposal. Sens fans probably like it because their scouts are typically good with later picks.

Way this team stands now, they are improving and this might be their last shot at a top 7 pick. They have plenty of prospect depth and team depth. Need another elite player to combat Matthews-Marner, Marchand-Pasta etc..

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008

In Brackett I trust

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Brodin is the defenseman we need not Dumba....And cant see Min trading him so there is no deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad