Proposal: Ottawa - Minnesota before Expansion Draft

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
To Ottawa: Erik Brannstrom

To Minnesota: Jordan Greenway +

Minnesota likely protects 4 defensemen. They have 3 NMCs and Matt Dumba needs to be protected. They have two NMCs up front in Zuccarello and Parise. And two spots left to pick Fiala, Greenway, and Eriksson EK. They can't afford to give up a C so that leaves one of Fiala and Greenway left unprotected and I would imagine Fiala is protected. Would Minnesota be interested in trading Greenway + for Brannstrom, who doesn't need protection? Other pieces can be added to balance the value.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Minnesota likely protects 4 defensemen. They have 3 NMCs and Matt Dumba needs to be protected. They have two NMCs up front in Zuccarello and Parise. And two spots left to pick Fiala, Greenway, and Eriksson EK. They can't afford to give up a C so that leaves one of Fiala and Greenway left unprotected and I would imagine Fiala is protected. Would Minnesota be interested in trading Greenway + for Brannstrom, who doesn't need protection? Other pieces can be added to balance the value.
Right or wrong I think it's very likely Guerin just goes 7+3 and loses Dumba (if he can't trade him beforehand) or Soucy.

But even in the 4+4 scenario I don't think we'd want to swap Greenway for Brannstrom. Even if Soucy gets selected over a forward our top-4 should be set and we've got some D prospects (Menell and Addison) that we probably want to open spots for over the next season or two.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That said, if Ottawa would be interested in Dumba for a comparable forward or some expansion-exempt picks/prospects, Guerin should be listening.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Greenway is great, but we're stacked at LW, especially if Stutzle remains there...

Stutzle
Tkachuk
Formenton
Paul

And a few pretty solid options amongst our prospect ranks. We need help, top to bottom, on the right side, but we have some very good, very young pieces on the left.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Right or wrong I think it's very likely Guerin just goes 7+3 and loses Dumba (if he can't trade him beforehand) or Soucy.

But even in the 4+4 scenario I don't think we'd want to swap Greenway for Brannstrom. Even if Soucy gets selected over a forward our top-4 should be set and we've got some D prospects (Menell and Addison) that we probably want to open spots for over the next season or two.

Parise can waive and be exposed....

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
That'd be delightful but I wouldn't count on it happening.
I’d agree. Seems like wishful thinking for anyone to waive. Do we have a list of the guys who waived last draft?

The only two I can see waiving are Erik Johnson and Milan Lucic.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020

Haha is this serious?

Wild have calen Addison, & b.menell. wild might resign ian Cole

Wild will only lose one of dumba or soucy

Wild have matt boldy to replace greenway, or Adam Beckman, etc..

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I’d agree. Seems like wishful thinking for anyone to waive. Do we have a list of the guys who waived last draft?

The only two I can see waiving are Erik Johnson and Milan Lucic.
Pretty sure Fleury was the only one to waive. And he only did it because there was a trade in place to guarantee he get selected by Vegas. Many others were speculated or even asked by GMs to waive, but none did. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
That said, if Ottawa would be interested in Dumba for a comparable forward or some expansion-exempt picks/prospects, Guerin should be listening.

This makes a ton more sense than the OP(RD is a gaping hole), the issue is Sens don't really have a comparable to Matt Dumba. Especially at center.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
To the OP. It helps, when trying to construct a deal, to understand the needs of a team. MN has lots of D and D prospects, but still lack forwards, especially good Centers.

I am beginning to think that Guerin is going to go 7+3, and leave both Soucy and Dumba exposed.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
This makes a ton more sense than the OP(RD is a gaping hole), the issue is Sens don't really have a comparable to Matt Dumba. Especially at center.
My own very opinionated take on it is that Minnesota should be open to damn near any return for Dumba that isn't another ED-exposed defenseman. Basically any package of a forward and/or futures that is greater than the value of Carson Soucy (the guy that'll probably be selected if Dumba is traded) should be considered.

How about White + Lassi + 2nd for Dumba?
I know nothing about Lassi Thomson that isn't on his EliteProspects page, but that offer fits the criteria I've got in mind. We'd be overloaded with RD prospects, but after losing two top-4 caliber defensemen in one offseason that's probably not a bad thing.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
How about White + Lassi + 2nd for Dumba?

I'd shoot way higher than this for Dumba. White does nothing for us. 2nd would be ok as it is likely a higher 2nd. Lassi would be good too. Just think if we're moving Dumba, we need a better C coming back. If Lassi was a C prospect, I'd be all over this.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

FWIW Brannstrom is comfortable on the right side and has played a big portion of his career on the right. DJ Smith has refused to use him on the right because he doesn't believe in playing Dman on their off-side but he is able to play on the right and has stated that he likes to play on the right as well.

Minny and Ottawa could be good partners.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'd shoot way higher than this for Dumba. White does nothing for us. 2nd would be ok as it is likely a higher 2nd. Lassi would be good too. Just think if we're moving Dumba, we need a better C coming back. If Lassi was a C prospect, I'd be all over this.
To counter: any deal sending Dumba to Ottawa would have to involve them sending cap/real money back, and considering the options White's a pretty good candidate there. I don't think he'd solve our center problem, but he'd be worth a shot.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
To counter: any deal sending Dumba to Ottawa would have to involve them sending cap/real money back, and considering the options White's a pretty good candidate there. I don't think he'd solve our center problem, but he'd be worth a shot.

Wild should ask for c.brown, not white

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Maybe Dadonov could be available, he hasn't fit in great with Ottawa and could be useful with more skilled players (Kaprizov for example).

Otherwise White to a certain degree, Tierney and I would also assume Logan Brown would be available..

I think L. Brown could be an interesting add in a deal. He has a lot of talent a tear up the AHL, has played well in limited NHL opportunity but is always injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad