Ottawa/Detroit/New Jersey/Buffalo: Which team will breakout first?

what do you think?

• Total voters

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
For Ottawa and Buffalo, sure. Devils need to fix that putrid defense too. Which could very well be the case in a couple years when Hughes and Jiri/Nemec break into their scene.

“Putrid?” Most advanced metrics put them middle of the pack. Could they improve? Sure, but calling out their defense over goaltending is just comically ill-informed.

The Devils had 7 different goalies start this year. Just one, Bernier, had above a .900 save %, and he barely made the mark at .902 and only played 10 games.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
LOL

Okay.

This is the first year Hughes has dealt with injuries and he'd be playing right now if there was any need to. "Higher compete level"...one of those vacuous things people say when they are trying to add to a list that means absolutely nothing.

Hughes has played a plurality of his time with Sharangovich and Mercer, and last year in the direct comparable to Stutzle, played with Sharangovich and Kuokkanen. Hardly all-stars. On the PP, where Stutzle scores a crazy proportion of his points, Stutzle plays with far more productive players.

Let's see if Stutzle puts up 1.15ppg next year - I'll take that bet.

I'm happy for you that you wouldn't trade Stutzle for Hughes. No Devils fan would either.
It only means nothing if you dont understand it. Hughes has played a bunch with Bratt these arent hard things to look up...

Stutzle has been over a ppg in the second half this year. Doesnt matter if you score at 1.15 PPG if you cant stay healthy. Real points also matter, so do real goals thats why if they come short handed, even strength or on the pp thats how you determine who wins the game.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
It only means nothing if you dont understand it. Hughes has played a bunch with Bratt these arent hard things to look up...

Stutzle has been over a ppg in the second half this year. Doesnt matter if you score at 1.15 PPG if you cant stay healthy. Real points also matter, so do real goals thats why if they come short handed, even strength or on the pp thats how you determine who wins the game.

According to Frozen Tools, Hughes spent about 40% of the time with Bratt and/or Hischier on the ice. Stutzle spent about 39% of the time with Batherson and/or Tkachuk. So the “better linemates” argument isn’t great.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Dahlin would be the best defenseman of all time if he was “on another level.” Calm down. There is nobody in the NHL who’s potential is “on another level” from Seider right now.
Dahlin is better offensively but Seider is much more physical and better defensively. They will duke it out through their careers

I’m not as high on Seider as a lot of people, I guess. I am really high on Dahlin.

Detroit, they have Larkin, Raymond, Sieder, Vrana they are building a good young team although I do wonder if Ned is the guy in net.

Ottawa's Ownership is to murky to have a shot at this

NJ is just plain bad

Buffalpo has to show some level or progress before they can considered for this.

It's Detroit easily.
Ottawa’s about to get deep pockets this summer.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
You realize people are individuals right? We don't hold fanbase meetings where we go over talking points.
My comment wasn't made in complete seriousness, it was more of a reply to the Sens fans that argued that their team is so much better than the Wings right now, even though the Wings have been ahead in the standings all season long. In reality, they are very close (as the current standings show).

It’s incredible the amount of nitpicking of our comments going on here whereas Ottawa fans have been claiming Shane mother flipping Pinto was a top 6 C loss , lmao

Love Ottawa’s players and they’ve got a good future but this thread is such a clusterf***

First you say "Not a single Wings fan blahh blahhh blahhh"

Then I give you one and "oh my God, look at them nitpicking".

Keep the same energy, Redhawk. I just pointed out the fact you were wrong. Next time read.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
First you say "Not a single Wings fan blahh blahhh blahhh"

Then I give you one and "oh my God, look at them nitpicking".

Keep the same energy, Redhawk. I just pointed out the fact you were wrong. Next time read.
I didn’t say that. Read what I said. I said I disagree with Pável then and acknowledged I was wrong. I was replying to Pável witb the comment you quoted, not you. Next time you try and read.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Detroit, they have Larkin, Raymond, Sieder, Vrana they are building a good young team although I do wonder if Ned is the guy in net.

Ottawa's Ownership is to murky to have a shot at this

NJ is just plain bad

Buffalpo has to show some level or progress before they can considered for this.

It's Detroit easily.
the level of progress wasn't shown when they were beating the Leafs down this season huh :laugh::laugh::laugh: really they had to fight through several setbacks this season and still finished pretty well.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Is it a cop out to say whoever fixes their goaltending issues first? Cause that seems like far and away the biggest issue holding these teams back (save maybe Detroit who are probably a couple years behind in their build).
For Detroit, it’d be inaccurate. Ned isn’t a bad goalie. It’s just hard to put up even below average numbers when your second best defenseman all year was MARC STAAL.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
For Detroit, it’d be inaccurate. Ned isn’t a bad goalie. It’s just hard to put up even below average numbers when your second best defenseman all year was MARC STAAL.

Well, this year for Ottawa it would be innacurate too. Forsbergs numbers are good. I guess you could argue that they played the crappier goalies too much.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Ottawa ends the season with a 8-1-0 record against these 3 other teams, and now currently have the most wins as well. Ottawa is currently the furthest along out of these 4 teams.
Detroit wins the season series against the Devils. Detroit is clearly further along than the Devils.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
For those of you that picked a certain team and followed it up with "AINEC", jokes on you:

standings.PNG

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Ottawa’s about to get deep pockets this summer.

You better hope so, because voting for a team here thats openly admitting they wont spend to the cap unless they sell out seems really stupid. Ottawa isnt going to sell out, their only hope is a new owner. These other teams have management that will actually do what they can to win.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
You better hope so, because voting for a team here thats openly admitting they wont spend to the cap unless they sell out seems really stupid. Ottawa isnt going to sell out, their only hope is a new owner. These other teams have management that will actually do what they can to win.
Ottawa is literally getting a new owner…their last owner is dead.

Dorion said he’s increasing payroll this season. I doubt any of these teams spend to the cap next year, and if they do it’s going to be on UFA’s they regrettably overpay.

Reactions: goonybird

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I think it depends on the quality of the coach they hire. If Detroit can find a good replacement for Blashill I think they have a good chance of breaking out.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
one of the greatest HFBoards moments is just sliding under the radar with "You better pray you get a new owner" and "The old one is dead"

• Haha
Reactions: Bileur and NyQuil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad