Ottawa 67's 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Peer (RW) in combination with another centre would have been a good pick up, can't have one without the other! Maillett was 11 for 17 at the dot, if he didn't want to be here that would be one of the first areas we would see a lack of effort. For the last time, put him with a legitimate RW.

Good character win yesterday, still riding that top line hard which won't hold up. But a win none the less. Nice to see Stonehouse show up for the game, he's been MIA lately.

We don’t really have a legitimate RW. The three guys best suited to play RW are all centres.

Maillet is going to have to find a way to adapt his game to the Ottawa system. Hopes of finding a way around it are useless at this point.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I believe what happened was the NB player did the wrap around and as Michelone nudged the short post, it raised the net up jsut a but and the puck slid under the low bar on the far post.

I agree a bout Stonehouse.

I’m still baffled by Maillet. I know maybe he could have better line-mates but it is now 15 games without a goal. Whitehead and Kelly are the two other players on a 15 game streak without a goal. That is not good company to be in. Even Horner has found a way to score three goals over that same time period as a D-Man moved to forward. He’s only been hanging around 50% at the dot too. His -9 since in Ottawa is glaring as well. He has to start doing something regardless of who his linemates are. He’s had Foster with him recently and it seems like he is getting chances but not burying them. Saturday afternoon he has to two shots with great saves but you gotta bury some. With any luck, he will score one, get the monkey off his back and he will start scoring a bunch!

I don't know enough about Maillet to know if its an issue with his level of effort, or his talent. He's likely not with the optimal linemates but that doesn't explain 15 games without a goal as you said. I do think he played better yesterday and made some nice plays that almost resulted in a goal; I can't believe he didn't bury that one where he tried to slide the puck under the fallen goaltender, how did that stay out?

The way I see it so far, Boyd is 3-for-4 on his deadline deals. I wouldn't say that Kressler is quite giving us Morrison level of play since his arrival, but he's taken over as the team's top all-situations centre and with Pinelli has been the focal point of the team's offense. After a somewhat shaky start with Pinelli, the two have now developed some good chemistry and are firing on all cyclinders at the moment.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't know enough about Maillet to know if its an issue with his level of effort, or his talent. He's likely not with the optimal linemates but that doesn't explain 15 games without a goal as you said. I do think he played better yesterday and made some nice plays that almost resulted in a goal; I can't believe he didn't bury that one where he tried to slide the puck under the fallen goaltender, how did that stay out?

The way I see it so far, Boyd is 3-for-4 on his deadline deals. I wouldn't say that Kressler is quite giving us Morrison level of play since his arrival, but he's taken over as the team's top all-situations centre and with Pinelli has been the focal point of the team's offense. After a somewhat shaky start with Pinelli, the two have now developed some good chemistry and are firing on all cyclinders at the moment.

I am holding out hope that with Foster, he will be fine In the long run. He had a few super huge chances on Saturday afternoon and got robbed in dramatic fashion. It seems to be getting close. I have this odd sense that he’s going to have a breakout game and then it will all fall in place.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
Good to see pinelli and Kressler with a plus night

I think when you look at the Windsor deal for Maillett you also need to include

Jacob MailletOTTNB 3 2024
OTT 5 2025
OTT 2 2027
OTT 3 2027
Jan. 8WSRIan MicheloneOTTOTT 12 2026

As well as Windsor getting Donoso off waivers.

Mich for a 12th in 2026 seems to be a bargain so that may make it a little better but I agree Mailet is possibly wasted skin

Once OJS are eliminated from the playoffs, then bring Yanni up and let him go if he does not want to be here.

I the fact that he needs to be benched. Sometimes it wakes a guy up when a rookie is put in his place and he spends a few games in the stands. Then coaching finds out what he is worth. Maybe let him go and bring back someone else that wants to be here.
If you're expecting point production from #27 you're barking up the wrong tree.

- He averages 2 shots a game in a 67s jersey.
- He was -9 after nearly 40 games in Windsor (That's a good rating for that team)

Offense is not his #1 strength or skillset, he's a defensively responsible center who is good at draws.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
This was not a year for us to get top players in trades. We do not have the draft capital and definitely need to rebuild.

You can say we shoulda have done this, and we shoulda have done this, BUT the question is, did we have the team to add high players?

Everyone here wanted better centers. Boyd went out and got them.

No matter who we got this team was never going to be a contender for top spot. If we got Peer, then we would not have Maillet.. Then we would have Foster who people think is better as a wing playing center.

We would have Pinelli Kressler and Peer.

What would we have different from what we have now on the other lines?

Boyd did his best to get players that filled the spots that we needed. Be happy with a 4th place team or maybe a 2nd so OMG67 saves his money

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
If you're expecting point production from #27 you're barking up the wrong tree.

- He averages 2 shots a game in a 67s jersey.
- He was -9 after nearly 40 games in Windsor (That's a good rating for that team)

Offense is not his #1 strength or skillset, he's a defensively responsible center who is good at draws.
Should be noted that last year with Windsor Maillet had in 67 games 24G,52A,76 Pts so he can play offensively, this season struggled like most with the new coaching started with 5G,4A,9Pts in 1st 21 games,with a -16,then in his next 16 games prior to trade with Ottawa ,he had 7G,16A,23 Pts and a plus 7.
No question has struggled with Ottawa,but I do miss him here,though I understand the trade got excellent value in it,classy kid too won't cause problems.

Reactions: PuckStop75

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
We don’t really have a legitimate RW. The three guys best suited to play RW are all centres.

Maillet is going to have to find a way to adapt his game to the Ottawa system. Hopes of finding a way around it are useless at this point.
Before the deadline we all agreed and argued to a certain degree that the team didn't have a legitimate centre and that they were all better suited to be on the wing.

We get the centre and now Gardiner is a centre? he belongs on the wing and I can think of no better centre to put him with than Maillet.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
Should be noted that last year with Windsor Maillet had in 67 games 24G,52A,76 Pts so he can play offensively, this season struggled like most with the new coaching started with 5G,4A,9Pts in 1st 21 games,with a -16,then in his next 16 games prior to trade with Ottawa ,he had 7G,16A,23 Pts and a plus 7.
No question has struggled with Ottawa,but I do miss him here,though I understand the trade got excellent value in it,classy kid too won't cause problems.
I fully agree he can put up points when paired with the right wingers, I mainly said offense is not his #1 skillset or role.
I just wanted to point this out to Ottawa fans who are left wondering where all the points are.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Peer (RW) in combination with another centre would have been a good pick up, can't have one without the other! Maillett was 11 for 17 at the dot, if he didn't want to be here that would be one of the first areas we would see a lack of effort. For the last time, put him with a legitimate RW.

Good character win yesterday, still riding that top line hard which won't hold up. But a win none the less. Nice to see Stonehouse show up for the game, he's been MIA lately.

I feel like Cameron is now throwing stuff against the wall hoping it will stick in terms of line combos. These were the combos yesterday and tell me that the bottom 6 makes any sense, particularly Gardiner as centre on the 4th line (and he got 4th line minutes too).

Pinelli - Kressler - Gerrior
Foster - Maillet - Dever
Stonehouse - Barlas - Horner
Korbler - Gardiner - Kelly

I don't question the effort of any of those players, particularly the bottom-6 guys and Dever /Gerrior who have mostly been providing a full effort game-in, game-out, but its a shame that Gardiner now finds himself as the #4C with, lets face it, the team's two least productive wingers. Cameron should really find a better home for him, and that home is Maillet's RW imo.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I feel like Cameron is now throwing stuff against the wall hoping it will stick in terms of line combos. These were the combos yesterday and tell me that the bottom 6 makes any sense, particularly Gardiner as centre on the 4th line (and he got 4th line minutes too).

Foster - Maillet - Dever
Stonehouse - Barlas - Horner
Korbler - Gardiner - Kelly

I don't question the effort of any of those players, particularly the bottom-6 guys and Dever /Gerrior who have mostly been providing a full effort game-in, game-out, but its a shame that Gardiner now finds himself as the #4C with, lets face it, the team's two least productive wingers. Cameron should really find a better home for him, and that home is Maillet's RW imo.
By game 54 of the season the depth chart is pretty clearly defined, the top 6 forwards G/A/Pts should be in the top 6. Anything less than that is a fishing expedition and quite honestly someone just trying to be smarter than the game.

Ottawa isn't the most gifted offensive group so they really can't afford to be throwing scoring away on the 4th line, that almost comes off as being vindictive. Particularly when they then slot Barlas ahead of him. If that is what the Coach has resorted too than this is not going to end well.

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
By game 54 of the season the depth chart is pretty clearly defined, the top 6 forwards G/A/Pts should be in the top 6. Anything less than that is a fishing expedition and quite honestly someone just trying to be smarter than the game.

Ottawa isn't the most gifted offensive group so they really can't afford to be throwing scoring away on the 4th line, that almost comes off as being vindictive. Particularly when they then slot Barlas ahead of him. If that is what the Coach has resorted too than this is not going to end well.

And I think, based on what we have seen demonstrated, not going out to add that extra forward (winger), relegates this team to a two scoring line team. Figure out which of those six guys comprise the two scoring lines and roll with it. Try to piece together a suffocating 3rd line.

Foster - Gardiner - Stonehouse
Barlas - Maillet - Dever

Just live with the fact that that 3rd line will only chip in one goal every 2-3 games on average when playing the top tier teams. The 3rd line is a good puck pursuit line with Barlas and Dever. They are responsible defensively. Barlas and Dever both have PK roles. Let the top 2 lines drive the offence.

Then take Maillet and insert him into the PP configuration. He should be able to contribute offence in that capacity.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
And I think, based on what we have seen demonstrated, not going out to add that extra forward (winger), relegates this team to a two scoring line team. Figure out which of those six guys comprise the two scoring lines and roll with it. Try to piece together a suffocating 3rd line.
Exactly, its not the trade they made that hurts them, its the one they didn't get done.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This was not a year for us to get top players in trades. We do not have the draft capital and definitely need to rebuild.

You can say we shoulda have done this, and we shoulda have done this, BUT the question is, did we have the team to add high players?

Everyone here wanted better centers. Boyd went out and got them.

No matter who we got this team was never going to be a contender for top spot. If we got Peer, then we would not have Maillet.. Then we would have Foster who people think is better as a wing playing center.

We would have Pinelli Kressler and Peer.

What would we have different from what we have now on the other lines?

Boyd did his best to get players that filled the spots that we needed. Be happy with a 4th place team or maybe a 2nd so OMG67 saves his money

The deadline is over. Move on and embrace what we have, good or bad.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Exactly, it’s not the trade they made that hurts them, it’s the one they didn't get done.
And, in fairness, I believe Boyd made a push for that other player. I think it was Sale but couldn’t get it done. I think it was Mayich out and Sale/Savard in. The rumour the night before the deadline was Mayich traded for a big picks package to Kitchener and then those picks flipped in the Sale trade. Sale would only report to Kitchener so Kitchener grudgingly made that deal sort of handcuffed but they’d prefer to have done the Mayich deal. Ottawa wouldn’t do the Mayich deal unless they could get the Sale deal completed.

I think he made pushes for the Import slot but not enough teams were willing to trade their expiring imports. I think Misiak was the prime target but Erie refused to move him. Kumpalainen was also a target but Oshawa felt they were in the mix Competitively so they added Punnet and kept their expiring contracts (assuming Kump is in the AHL next year).

• Wow
Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Minor nitpick, but why would the OHL have us behind Mississauga in the standings when we are tied with them in points and wins, and have a game in hand? In points percentage we are ahead. This will all work itself out, of course, but it ticked me off to check the standings this morning and see us behind the Fish when we should be ahead...

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Minor nitpick, but why would the OHL have us behind Mississauga in the standings when we are tied with them in points and wins, and have a game in hand? In points percentage we are ahead. This will all work itself out, of course, but it ticked me off to check the standings this morning and see us behind the Fish when we should be ahead...

Tie breaker is Regulation and OT wins.

Tie breaker is Regulation and OT wins

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
And, in fairness, I believe Boyd made a push for that other player. I think it was Sale but couldn’t get it done. I think it was Mayich out and Sale/Savard in. The rumour the night before the deadline was Mayich traded for a big picks package to Kitchener and then those picks flipped in the Sale trade. Sale would only report to Kitchener so Kitchener grudgingly made that deal sort of handcuffed but they’d prefer to have done the Mayich deal. Ottawa wouldn’t do the Mayich deal unless they could get the Sale deal completed.

I think he made pushes for the Import slot but not enough teams were willing to trade their expiring imports. I think Misiak was the prime target but Erie refused to move him. Kumpalainen was also a target but Oshawa felt they were in the mix Competitively so they added Punnet and kept their expiring contracts (assuming Kump is in the AHL next year).

I don't know how I feel about the Mayich out/Sale + Savard in transaction but its not like Sale has been shooting the lights out with Kitchener so far so <maybe> its kind of a wash? Particularly if the player didn't want to be in Ottawa in the first place...he probably did us a favour by refusing a trade here.

I tell you what though, it would be nice to have another RHS d-man in the starting 6 right now. I still find the lefty-lefty pairings awkward and I don't think the players themselves have gotten used to it yet either.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't know how I feel about the Mayich out/Sale + Savard in transaction but its not like Sale has been shooting the lights out with Kitchener so far so <maybe> its kind of a wash? Particularly if the player didn't want to be in Ottawa in the first place...he probably did us a favour by refusing a trade here.

I tell you what though, it would be nice to have another RHS d-man in the starting 6 right now. I still find the lefty-lefty pairings awkward and I don't think the players themselves have gotten used to it yet either.

The Savard part of that deal would have been good. He is a solid D-Man and is only 18. It would give us a returning D-Man and it probably points to Mayich as the odd man out on the OAs next year too. Savard also that RHD as well which is nice, as you said.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019

Rumors are pretty easy to start and don't require a whole lot more than a thought and big mouth. Effort doesn't mean anything in the GM game, like a lot of things in hockey it is about execution. Boyd and Cameron's jobs are pretty secure and they will do what they do, to the chagrin and agitation of some of us.... LOL.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The Savard part of that deal would have been good. He is a solid D-Man and is only 18. It would give us a returning D-Man and it probably points to Mayich as the odd man out on the OAs next year too. Savard also that RHD as well which is nice, as you said.
Savard would have been a solid second pairing D and an OA for Colts. He was reluctantly traded because it was the only way to be rid of Sale.

yacky

Jun 28, 2018
I believe everyone had Family Day off yesterday. On the School Day games and the odd Holiday Game, they just run the Rink Board feed and pipe in a radio broadcast but I guess t satisfy the CHL TV, they got some random dude to do play by play. I don’t think there was a radio broadcast yesterday for either team.

Cool. I will have to take a peak! I figured it was only a matter of time for Rossi to start doing something.
I LISTENED TO THE GAME ON TSN1200 OTTAWA

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
OK. SO. I have a little bone to pick here. I give Cameron the benefit of the doubt a lot. I don’t really point many fingers but I am starting to get a little irritated.

After we go up 4-2 with the empty net goal, he puts the 4th line on the ice with Smyth and Mayer. I am ok with Korbler and Barlas out there as wingers int he last minute to protect the lead and bring the game home. But, Barlas at centre and those D-Men plus Kelly is unacceptable judgement. Absolutely unacceptable.

Additionally, why Stonehouse is sitting on the 4th line is ridiculous. The lines of 2nd through 4th are pretty much balanced. Why? He will make a change here and there during the game but this team gets off to slow starts and lacklustre 1st periods. Why do you think that is? IT IS BECAUSE HIS LINES ARE STUPID AF AND HE ISN’T GIVING THEM A CHANCE TO ASSERT.
It is the little things that get me. Against NB, we pulled the goalie and had a tired NB group when they iced the puck. Throw out a fresh line when they can't change and try to scramble for a tying goal? Nope, call a timeout. Sheesh.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I would have love to hear Kenny Walls PxP simulcast to the televised OSEG feed. I wonder how he would go off on the questionable OHL officiating on TV.

He is a great voice announcer but a horrendous homer. If he were capable of toning it down a bit on the officiating as well as the clear homer bias, he would be a guy that could actually go somewhere someday.

Reactions: dirty12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad