Ottawa 67's 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The deadline is over. Move on and embrace what we have, good or bad.
I fully agree it is the talk of if we had gotten Peer or if the dog didn't stop in the middle of the road that I am talking about.

As to the lines that we used. I think that people are missing the point.

We have a first line good or bad Pinelli and Kressler

We need a 2nd line, and the idea at the deadline was that Maillet would center it.

The problem is finding a combination for the 2nd line that can score goals or at least threaten to score them.

We also need a line that can shut down or minimize the other team's first line. That could be a job for a good 3rd line.

Pinelli - Kressler - Gerrior
Foster - Maillet - Dever
Stonehouse - Barlas - Horner
Korbler - Gardiner - Kelly

Looking at the lineup from NB which reember we won the game these lines seem to work

Gerrior is a plus player who will do what is necessary He fit in well last year with Beck and Morrison

the 2nd line is a work in progress but I think they have to give Maillett a shot at showing he belongs and Foster we know can score and take faceoffs so it is a line that should be good.

Stonehouse Barlas and Horner is going to give you a like that makes few mistakes and can play defensively against any line out there

Korbler Gardiner and Kelly give you a 4th line that has experience and allows you to have a center that you can move into any of the other 3 lines if there is an issue.

I really think the Maillet experiment may come back to bite us but hey we have the resources tomove peopleup and around if need be

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I fully agree it is the talk of if we had gotten Peer or if the dog didn't stop in the middle of the road that I am talking about.

As to the lines that we used. I think that people are missing the point.

We have a first line good or bad Pinelli and Kressler

We need a 2nd line, and the idea at the deadline was that Maillet would center it.

The problem is finding a combination for the 2nd line that can score goals or at least threaten to score them.

We also need a line that can shut down or minimize the other team's first line. That could be a job for a good 3rd line.

Pinelli - Kressler - Gerrior
Foster - Maillet - Dever
Stonehouse - Barlas - Horner
Korbler - Gardiner - Kelly

Looking at the lineup from NB which reember we won the game these lines seem to work

Gerrior is a plus player who will do what is necessary He fit in well last year with Beck and Morrison

the 2nd line is a work in progress but I think they have to give Maillett a shot at showing he belongs and Foster we know can score and take faceoffs so it is a line that should be good.

Stonehouse Barlas and Horner is going to give you a like that makes few mistakes and can play defensively against any line out there

Korbler Gardiner and Kelly give you a 4th line that has experience and allows you to have a center that you can move into any of the other 3 lines if there is an issue.

I really think the Maillet experiment may come back to bite us but hey we have the resources tomove peopleup and around if need be

The first line scored the first three goals plus the first of two empty net goals. Stonehouse moved beside Gardiner and that line scored the 4th and 6th goal.

Dever and Foster were the twow players that finished the game as a minus. Pretty much par for the course.

We need to find the optimal line config. It hasn’t happened yet. The first line is there. Cameron is balancing the other three lines. Notice Whitehead out now too. I’m not aware of an injury.

The existing lines could have a stronger 2nd line if he keeps Stonehouse with Gardiner. Slide Foster on the left and I’m pretty sure that line will score.

Will the line of Maillet, Barlas, and Dever play to even at 5on 5? That’s the question. I think they can. If they play even at 5 on 5 then that is good enough for me provided the other two lines can score. I don’t care about the 4th line.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The first line scored the first three goals plus the first of two empty net goals. Stonehouse moved beside Gardiner and that line scored the 4th and 6th goal.

Dever and Foster were the twow players that finished the game as a minus. Pretty much par for the course.

We need to find the optimal line config. It hasn’t happened yet. The first line is there. Cameron is balancing the other three lines. Notice Whitehead out now too. I’m not aware of an injury.

The existing lines could have a stronger 2nd line if he keeps Stonehouse with Gardiner. Slide Foster on the left and I’m pretty sure that line will score.

Will the line of Maillet, Barlas, and Dever play to even at 5on 5? That’s the question. I think they can. If they play even at 5 on 5 then that is good enough for me provided the other two lines can score. I don’t care about the 4th line.
I think it would be interesting to send Maillet to the stands for a weekend. Let Whitehead play. It may be that Maillet is not a fit for the team. Also sitting in the stands can motivate a player LOL

I think the problem is Finding someone who can play with Maillet.

I agree Gardiner and Stonehouse might work, and Foster would be the right choice.

Then, playing Barlas or Whitehead as the center on the 3rd line.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think it would be interesting to send Maillet to the stands for a weekend. Let Whitehead play. It may be that Maillet is not a fit for the team. Also sitting in the stands can motivate a player LOL

I think the problem is Finding someone who can play with Maillet.

I agree Gardiner and Stonehouse might work, and Foster would be the right choice.

Then, playing Barlas or Whitehead as the center on the 3rd line.

Maillet is either going to produce offensively with the players he has or he isn’t. If not, then he needs to embrace a defensive role. Sitting him in the stands as an OA isn’t going to do anything. If his own pride is non-existent and this is a result of a lack of effort, sitting him out won’t matter. I dont’ see it like that. I see him struggling to get on the scoresheet, not necessarily a lack of effort. I am hoping this is just one of those droughts where you start squeezing the stick too tight.

Boris67

Jan 11, 2020
Maillet is either going to produce offensively with the players he has or he isn’t. If not, then he needs to embrace a defensive role. Sitting him in the stands as an OA isn’t going to do anything. If his own pride is non-existent and this is a result of a lack of effort, sitting him out won’t matter. I dont’ see it like that. I see him struggling to get on the scoresheet, not necessarily a lack of effort. I am hoping this is just one of those droughts where you start squeezing the stick too tight.
When watching next game in person, please isolate on 27 for a few shifts…. it’s not necessarily what he is doing when he has the puck….its what he does when he doesn’t have it or after he loses it or turns it over…there is no urgency in his battle to get pucks or retrieve them….
Every other forward on 67s roster has another gear or two when in comes to hunting down pucks
….maybe he is very cerebral and playing positional game….but I think he can be both

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
When watching next game in person, please isolate on 27 for a few shifts…. it’s not necessarily what he is doing when he has the puck….its what he does when he doesn’t have it or after he loses it or turns it over…there is no urgency in his battle to get pucks or retrieve them….
Every other forward on 67s roster has another gear or two when in comes to hunting down pucks
….maybe he is very cerebral and playing positional game….but I think he can be both

I don’t disagree but this furthers the notion that he isn’t the type of player that fits. The 67’s are heavy on puck pursuit without it. A lot of stops and cut backs, change of direction, reaching inside, stick lifts etc. They are aggressive. Maillet isn’t that player. This is why I think he may be better suited in a shit down role with two shut down players, play as an even player 5 on 5 and concentrate scoring on the top two lines. If Ottawa can generate 3.5 goals per game with their top two lines and then .5 per game from the 3rd and 4th line, then I think we will win a lot of games with strong defence. The key is being able to get that 3.5 from the other two lines. I’m not sure we can get to that average.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Steelheads fan here coming to the March 10 game. First time visiting Ottawa. Are the seats on the penalty box side really worth the extra $20?

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Steelheads fan here coming to the March 10 game. First time visiting Ottawa. Are the seats on the penalty box side really worth the extra $20?

Seats on the penalty box side (south side) are general admission, and cheaper than those on the north side/elsewhere in the rink. For a lower price in GA you generally get to be closer to the action as you're lower on that side, and there are fewer steps up to the concourse/concessions. The drawbacks are worse sight lines due to all the glass around the penalty boxes and b/c you're sitting lower, and no access to the big screen for replays/game stats (though they give you a TV in each section). Kids seem to like sitting in GA because they're closer to the action and don't seem to care about watching the play at the far end of the rink.

Best sight lines are 19 and 20, behind the players benches, 10 rows or so back and up. If you're coming from GTA to watch the game, I suggest springing for seats there.

Reactions: mtshapcott

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Seats on the penalty box side (south side) are general admission, and cheaper than those on the north side/elsewhere in the rink. For a lower price in GA you generally get to be closer to the action as you're lower on that side, and there are fewer steps up to the concourse/concessions. The drawbacks are worse sight lines due to all the glass around the penalty boxes and b/c you're sitting lower, and no access to the big screen for replays/game stats (though they give you a TV in each section). Kids seem to like sitting in GA because they're closer to the action and don't seem to care about watching the play at the far end of the rink.

Best sight lines are 19 and 20, behind the players benches, 10 rows or so back and up. If you're coming from GTA to watch the game, I suggest springing for seats there.
On ticketmaster there appears to be a single row beside the penalty box against the glass that sell for $50 each. If that included unlimited draft beer I’m in 😆

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
On ticketmaster there appears to be a single row beside the penalty box against the glass that sell for $50 each. If that included unlimited draft beer I’m in 😆
Well there you go! The lady who works the beer stand outside of section 8 will take great care of you.

I'd suggest having beers at Local, right across from the arena, before the game. Good food, good selection of beers, prompt service. Nice vibe on weekends pre-game. And convenient to the arena. There are also several neighbourhood joints along Bank Street if you have more time and more interested in local establishments, ranging from 5-15 minute walk from the arena.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Those are the action seats or whatever they call them. They are like the seats at the Jays game behind the plate Between the dugouts. They are folding chairs on the concourse between the permanent stands and the glass.

The rink in Ottawa has a concourse that rings around the ice surface so the stands start about 8 feet from the glass and are elevated. So, it really depends on whether you find value in being against the glass on a folding chair without anyone behind you kicking your seat etc. But, if you do get those seats, I would take then closer to the corner so you have a full sight line. If you are beside the penalty box, you wouldn’t be able to see much of the farther side ice surface because you’d need to look through the penalty boxes.

You could always choose the ends as well. But if you do, choose the end where the Mississauga net is for two periods. You will get to see a lot of goals close up! :naughty:

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I don’t disagree but this furthers the notion that he isn’t the type of player that fits. The 67’s are heavy on puck pursuit without it. A lot of stops and cut backs, change of direction, reaching inside, stick lifts etc. They are aggressive. Maillet isn’t that player. This is why I think he may be better suited in a shit down role with two shut down players, play as an even player 5 on 5 and concentrate scoring on the top two lines. If Ottawa can generate 3.5 goals per game with their top two lines and then .5 per game from the 3rd and 4th line, then I think we will win a lot of games with strong defence. The key is being able to get that 3.5 from the other two lines. I’m not sure we can get to that average.
Best comparison for Maillet is Cam Tolnai, not going to razzle dazzle you with his speed or skill but he is dependable in his positional play and has demonstrated the ability to create offense. Its just not the turnover quick strike type of play that Ottawa relies on. Maillet is more of a puck possession, cycle down low type of player, which Ottawa just doesn't have a lot of. He's exactly the type of player who will be able to engage physically in playoff hockey when the better teams take the game to those areas.

I am going to repeat myself again just because until I see I won't believe it won't work, play him with Gardiner, as a pair they will be able to work the right side of the ice and create scoring chances. Everything doesn't have to come off of pursuit, turnover and transition style hockey. The game is actually a lot easier to play if they have possession of the puck which to this point only Kressler and PInelli have demonstrated any ability to maintain. Gardiner has shown flashes when he was paired with PInelli prior to the deadline.

Reactions: Boris67

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Best comparison for Maillet is Cam Tolnai, not going to razzle dazzle you with his speed or skill but he is dependable in his positional play and has demonstrated the ability to create offense. Its just not the turnover quick strike type of play that Ottawa relies on. Maillet is more of a puck possession, cycle down low type of player, which Ottawa just doesn't have a lot of. He's exactly the type of player who will be able to engage physically in playoff hockey when the better teams take the game to those areas.

I am going to repeat myself again just because until I see I won't believe it won't work, play him with Gardiner, as a pair they will be able to work the right side of the ice and create scoring chances. Everything doesn't have to come off of pursuit, turnover and transition style hockey. The game is actually a lot easier to play if they have possession of the puck which to this point only Kressler and PInelli have demonstrated any ability to maintain. Gardiner has shown flashes when he was paired with PInelli prior to the deadline.
I do agree wholeheartedly that Gardiner should be put on Maillet's right. Heck it's not working right now so what's to lose🤷. Hopefully Cameron reads these threads, he could learn a lot from us..lol

Reactions: PuckStop75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad