Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] F Claude Giroux signs with the Senators (3 years, $6.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Im not sure if I am happy for Ottawa fans or not. They slum it for years pinching pennies, then here comes the franchise player of the next generation and they throw it into gear and start icing a real team. It's got to be an exciting time to be a fan for them though.

Lmao what? Your going to hold Melnyk's spending habits against the Senators fans?

Reactions: GreeningOil

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
As an oilers fan, the sens are my team from the east ever since Karlsson was there. This team has really turned the corner on paper atleast this last few weeks. Some big trades, possibly some key signings amd a new rink to boot. Thinks are looking up in the nations capital

Congrats Sens fans well deserved 👏

Last edited:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I know it's a big IF, but let's play the game...

IF the Sens add Giroux AND a legit top 4 Dman without sacrificing any roster players other than Connor Brown, where do you think they stand?

Not suggesting anything. Just genuinely asking as you're an "outsider" and I'm way too giddy as a Sens fan right now to be reasonable in my expectations. haha
Honestly, I see the Sens taking a big step forward, and could very well take a wild card spot. I still think Florida, Tampa and Toronto are better, but entirely possible one of them slips a bit and lands in a wild card spot. I do have Ottawa fourth in the division provided they sign Giroux and land another good D.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
There’s Metro as well and that’s why people are saying that.

And would it really be all that surprising if Ottawa was able to push a team down in the Atlantic?
They have a dynamic top6 that should be improving.
They have potentially 2 studs on the blueline as well

if its this year coming? yea it would be.. this team hasnt hit 80 points yet lol in 2-3 years i could see a playoff spot but all the hype is gonna end with people screaming blow it up next year on here if we end with 80-85 points probably.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Unless the backend improves I'm skeptical that we are a lock for the playoffs. A Giroux signing would vastly improve the top six, which already is vastly improved with the addition of DeBrincat

Reactions: NyQuil

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He's going to be great for their young players, and help win draws on a line with Stutzle. It's too bad he's not signing on the same team as Copp, though. Because I had a great joke about that.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Honestly, I see the Sens taking a big step forward, and could very well take a wild card spot. I still think Florida, Tampa and Toronto are better, but entirely possible one of them slips a bit and lands in a wild card spot. I do have Ottawa fourth in the division provided they sign Giroux and land another good D.

Seems reasonable. Thanks :D

Reactions: Rob Brown

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
the Sens org chart is, for literally the first time I can think of, filled with people in the right spots - all but Zaitsev who we know will be traded in a big package for a top-4 RHD

DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Gambrell-Watson
Kastelic

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-XXX
Brannstrom-Hamonic
Holden

Forsberg
Talbot

I haven't been that excited about the Sens in many years. Seems like our best roster since the early 2000s

I'd put kastelic over Gambrell in the 4C spot rather easily.

Also, we still have brown. Haven't traded him yet. He'd make that roster look even better.

I don’t see it Flordia-Tampa-Toronto and Boston are all way better

How is Boston "way" better?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
if its this year coming? yea it would be.. this team hasnt hit 80 points yet lol in 2-3 years i could see a playoff spot but all the hype is gonna end with people screaming blow it up next year on here if we end with 80-85 points probably.

Lmao 3 years

Reactions: OUTHOUSE

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Unless the backend improves I'm skeptical that we are a lock for the playoffs. A Giroux signing would vastly improve the top six, which already is vastly improved with the addition of DeBrincat
I feel like a signed Giroux would give Ottawa, without a doubt, the deepest top 6 in the league. Usually the teams with the deepest top 6 make the playoffs even with below average defense or goaltending.

If they sign Giroux, who is Ottawa's 6th best forward? Batherson? Norris? Giroux?

Then that gives them still brown, formenton, Pinto, Joseph?

7. Brown
8. Formenton
9. Pinto
10. Joseph

Does any team have a deeper bottom 6? What other teams 9th best forward is better than Pinto? Or 10th better than Joseph?

I may be biased, but Ottawa might have THE deepest forward group in the league right now if you count Giroux. At the very least it's in the competition.

• Haha
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
They have to make the playoffs with that roster.

& Bostons worry is that McAvoy& Marchand could miss 20-25 games to start the season
Over who?

I'd put kastelic over Gambrell in the 4C spot rather easily.

Also, we still have brown. Haven't traded him yet. He'd make that roster look even better.

How is Boston "way" better?
Swayman and McAvoy/Lindholm

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Over who?

Swayman and McAvoy/Lindholm
Thats not answering my question. Naming 2-3 players doesn't mean anything.

It's like "Edmonton is better than Florida because McDavid and draisaitl"

How about you list their top 12F in order, their top 6 D in order, and their 2 goalies in order. I would not be surprised if more of the ">" benefited Ottawa.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Ottawa making the moves they've made make them a contender for a playoff spot in the East. I think one of the reasons for how shitty they've been - even for a rebuilding team - is that the band-aids they've used to fill in the line-up around the kids have been awful. Young players have ups and downs, that's life, but when they do you hope to have some veterans there to keep their finger in the dam and Ottawa just didn't have that.

Debrincat and Giroux are great additions because they can do just that (and frankly it should be less of a problem given the experience the kids have gained already). The blue line still needs some depth, and goaltending is always a question mark unless you have one of the 6 or so elite ones, but they seemed poised to me to make the biggest jump. They're clearly better than Buffalo, Montreal, and Detroit and should be nipping at Boston. They'd need a lot of breaks and wind in their sails to challenge Florida, Toronto, or Tampa, but they're should be a reason to out to Kanata next year. The transit will be terrible and you'll be late, but they'll be a reason to go.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Sens need to find a top 4RD today. We have the forward group but have a massive hole on the backend.

Chabot Weegar?
Sanderson Zub
Brannstrom Hamonic
Holden/Thomson/JBD

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Sens are picking the wrong year to try to make that next step. One more year i nthe top 10 of the draft would have been huge considering the quality in 2023. I feel like Talbot, Giroux, Weeger, Debrincat etc will only push this team to potential wild card status.

• Haha
Reactions: Samsquanch

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Considering he’s 34, I think the term is very important. He can fall off any second now.
Giroux's best attributes are his brain and his hands. He's never been a speedster, isn't particularly big, and while he developed a nice wrist shot and one-timer, they aren't his primary tools. He has been and should continue aging like fine wine. He's not a franchise center anymore, but he's still a damned fine hockey player.

Reactions: Amorgus and Arwin

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Sens are picking the wrong year to try to make that next step. One more year i nthe top 10 of the draft would have been huge considering the quality in 2023. I feel like Talbot, Giroux, Weeger, Debrincat etc will only push this team to potential wild card status.
I think I can speak for all Sens fans and say. We don’t care about the draft anymore. We want playoff hockey.

Reactions: SensFan1010
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad