Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] F Claude Giroux signs with the Senators (3 years, $6.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
the Sens org chart is, for literally the first time I can think of, filled with people in the right spots - all but Zaitsev who we know will be traded in a big package for a top-4 RHD

DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Gambrell-Watson
Kastelic

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-XXX
Brannstrom-Hamonic
Holden

Forsberg
Talbot

I haven't been that excited about the Sens in many years. Seems like our best roster since the early 2000s
I've never done any sports gambling before.....but I may put some money down on Ottawa this year. I love your roster. Darkhorse Cup winners this coming year. I think the odds will be insane pre-season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Gonna be tough with FLA/TB/TOR in same division but they could fight for the wildcard. Boston is a major ? with Marchand injury and Bergeron in jeopardy right now. Who knows. I think Ottawa is more likely to finish 9th in the East with around 90 pts than to make the playoffs
Yep, and not too far on the horizon, Buffalo has been quietly adding some serious young talent by the draft. This division has a bit of everything. Some of the old, same, and look out for the young guns. Ottawa and Buffalo. That day is coming soon, you can sort of see it on the horizon.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Hard not to respect the moves Dorion is making this off-season. This would be one more good one, though of course the contract and term will dictate just how good.

Ygg

Feb 2, 2017
If you count teams that are a sure shot worse than Sens and who should be below in the standings, you end up with
NYI, PHI, CBJ, MTL, DET, BUF
Same exercise with teams who are better
TOR, TBL, FLO, CAR, WAS, PIT
That means Sens will be fighting for a playoffs spot with NYR, NJD, maybe BOS

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Lindholm-McAvoy

Swayman

Those are the 3 players that make Boston better

Bergeron-Krejic and maybe Kessel will be back.

Right now I have Ottawa at 9th in the east

They have to make the playoffs with that roster.

& Bostons worry is that McAvoy& Marchand could miss 20-25 games to start the season

Reactions: Estlin

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
He bought a home 10 mins from the arena, his wife is from Ottawa, he lives there in the offseason, he grew up and played hockey in the Ottawa area....let the man come home.

Don't care if he's 34...the experience and knowledge he will transfer to guys like Tkachuk, Stutzle, Norris..etc is priceless.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
He bought a home 10 mins from the arena, his wife is from Ottawa, he lives there in the offseason, he grew up and played hockey in the Ottawa area....let the man come home.

Don't care if he's 34...the experience he will rub off on guys like Tkachuk, Stutzle, Norris..etc is priceless.

You sons of guns might get a pretty good contract too! Ottawa should be a fun team to watch next year.

Reactions: SensFactor

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
If you count teams that are a sure shot worse than Sens and who should be below in the standings, you end up with
I'd put NYR above Washington. Capitals are a huge question mark with backstrom likely out for the season, aging core and defence, and questionable goaltending.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I think this would be a terrific signing for Ottawa; though, the term could be a factor of concern.

I'd like for the Senators to be good... just not too good, lol. I was afraid they'd be wallowing for awhile longer, but I love the newfound aggressiveness. Senators fans must be pretty happy.

They're in a tough division, though. I see a lot of people writing the Bruins off, which I think could be a mistake.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

:laugh: The team that went to the conference finals back to back a few years ago?

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
that’s like… the exact opposite of Florida.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa

Not sure I completely agree with your lists. We'll have to see how FA shakes out. Even if we get a good forward, we still need a defenseman. Unless we bridge Norris and our other two forward RFAs come in pretty low, the only way we can add a top 4 guy is to actually clear out Zaitsev and Brown. Two things that haven't been done quite yet.

Even then, I think we're fighting hard to take a spot. Need Stützle to complete the break out, DeBrincat to gel, Sanderson to perform, goalies to continue to punch above their weight class, etc.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
are they? didn't realize that. I'd still take Rangers over them, I think they'll be a bubble team this year.

I’m not saying Was will be good but just that they are getting Kuemper.
They are at the very end of their run

Reactions: SENStastic

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Im not sure if I am happy for Ottawa fans or not. They slum it for years pinching pennies, then here comes the franchise player of the next generation and they throw it into gear and start icing a real team. It's got to be an exciting time to be a fan for them though.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
sounds good but everyone saying we will may playoffs next year is over reacting florida tampa toronto all still way better.. boston slipping but still good and buffafo/detriot also improving

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
It's not really a coincidence that Melnyk croaks and then Pierre suddenly starts making solid moves.

I've always said it; Pierre, while a good hockey man, was always kept in shackles by Melnyk. He had to become a yes man to keep his job as GM because Melnyk did not listen to him as opposed to Murray before him, who it is well known was able to stand up to Melnyk all these years.

Now that Eugene is gone, I imagine his daughters are not at all as involved in the hockey ops decisions and thus Pierre is given carte Blanche to run things his way; which would explain why he fired McGuire, a Melnyk hire who probably was being groomed to replace him eventually, when Eugene's corpse was barely cold.

All this to say, I'm happy Pierre is doing everything he can to right the ship and redeem the past few years. I'm sure he'll try his best to sign Giroux and if he does, Sens are that much more of a playoff contender.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
sounds good but everyone saying we will may playoffs next year is over reacting florida tampa toronto all still way better.. boston slipping but still good and buffafo/detriot also improving

There’s Metro as well and that’s why people are saying that.

And would it really be all that surprising if Ottawa was able to push a team down in the Atlantic?
They have a dynamic top6 that should be improving.
They have potentially 2 studs on the blueline as well

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I've never done any sports gambling before.....but I may put some money down on Ottawa this year. I love your roster. Darkhorse Cup winners this coming year. I think the odds will be insane pre-season.
I fully expect the Sens to compete with a very good chance at making the playoffs, but I wouldn't call them cup contenders yet.

Cool to see Giroux go home (if he does). Good offseason for the Sens. Fans must be stoked.

Reactions: SensFactor

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
I’m not saying Was will be good but just that they are getting Kuemper.
They are at the very end of their run
Ya I agree. The shoe is gonna drop soon, I'm guessing this will be the year, all it'll take is one injury to a core player. Either them or Boston, possibly both, might not make the cut.

Reactions: BB88

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I fully expect the Sens to compete with a very good chance at making the playoffs, but I wouldn't call them cup contenders yet.

Cool to see Giroux go home (if he does). Good offseason for the Sens. Fans must be stoked.

I know it's a big IF, but let's play the game...

IF the Sens add Giroux AND a legit top 4 Dman without sacrificing any roster players other than Connor Brown, where do you think they stand?

Not suggesting anything. Just genuinely asking as you're an "outsider" and I'm way too giddy as a Sens fan right now to be reasonable in my expectations. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad