Confirmed Trade: [OTT/CHI] Alex DeBrincat for 2022 1st and 2nd round picks (7 and 39OA) and 2024 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Thanks. Don't think this implies that he wouldn't sign long term anywhere. Seems like he wasn't going to sign in Chicago, which makes sense under the circumstances.

I think decent chance he walks from Ottawa after 2 years. But it's probably closer to a coin flip right now.

He loves Chicago, fans, team, he wanted to stay in Chicago
but Chicago didn't want him, supposedly couldn't have him
i think there's a bit of... something now between Alex and Blackhawks,
due to trade. - i think he feels betrayed

Because it didn't took him long to photoshop his twitter profile pic
to Ottawa Senators jersey...

My take anyways. The truth probably differs.

Last edited:

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
He loves Chicago, fans, team, he wanted to stay in Chicago
but Chicago didn't want him, supposedly couldn't have him
i think there's a bit of... something now between Alex and Blackhawks,
due to trade. - i think he feels betrayed

Because it didn't took him long to photoshop his twitter profile pic
to Ottawa Senators jersey...

My take anyways. The truth probably differs.

Definitely impossible to know for sure. Maybe he didn't want to go through a scorched earth rebuild for the next 5 years? Maybe Chicago was convinced that they needed to get a top 10 pick this year and this was the best option available under the circumstances?

In any event I am a very happy Sens fan.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I like the chances of DeBrincat wanting to stick in Ottawa with the likes of Brady Tkachuk/Josh Norris/Tim Stutzle/Thomas Chabot.

Sens have a really good core in place and are on the rise, and DeBrincat fits right into that age group and culture

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Pathetic trade, this was the one guy on the roster you do not trade. Hawks will be the new BUF for the next 5-10 years, sad to see, I will miss you D and I will never change my avatar!

i know this is bad for you but damn as a senators fan reading stuff like this makes me happy.

DeBrincat sounds like a winner.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I'm still rock hard about this. Almost a sure thing to re-sign. Will party with all of our USNTDP boys. They will run wild.

Norris
Tkachuk
The Cat
Sanderson
Pinto

Will be a very tight group

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm still rock hard about this. Almost a sure thing to re-sign. Will party with all of our USNTDP boys. They will run wild.

Norris
Tkachuk
The Cat
Sanderson
Pinto

Will be a very tight group
His QO is salary based isn’t it? Cause he signed it after elc year 2 , same off season as the likes of Point, Tkachuk, Boeser so those were grandfathered in at the salary rule vs the new AAV rule. $9 mill QO a year out of UFA.

Forget that he signed early. Otherwise he’d be a $6.4 plus the % increase.

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
Best goal scorer that this team will have had since the days of josh Norris… god damn, the forward core is looking incredible. Add a top 4 D now Dorian, and we make the playoffs this year

Reactions: OmniSens

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
So how much is he really going to ask for? If it's 8 digits AAV then he's probably traded regardless of how well he does.

I'm in the belief that Ottawa will not pay any player above what they gave their captain.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Wasn't Debrincat one of the only players on the Hawks that spoke up during the sexual assault scandal? Wouldn't be surprised if that played a part in dealing him.

I'm not as high on Debrincat as the rest of the board and I don't think he'll be worth his next contract when the Senators start to become serious contenders, but regardless he'll fit into Ottawa like a glove.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
There is such a HUGE connection for DeBrincat on Ottawa with all of the American born kids like Tkachuk, Norris (Michigan guy that he knows), Pinto, Sanderson to lean on. Many others in the minors too.

The Senators could conceivably have 4 players on just the USA olympic roster alone one day. Those boys are going to be a tight crew is my solid guess, and will want to stay together.

And oh how ironic it would be if a core of mostly American born stars were there group that breaks the curse and brings the cup home to Canada one day. Storybook ending

Reactions: crazyhawk

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
If Chicago plans to tank for the next 3-4 years, I guess it makes a little bit of sense. They probably could have gotten a better haul at the trade deadline though. I just can't recall such little return on trading a young 40 goal scorer.

It will probably be decades before Chicago gets another 40+ scorer from such a low pick.

Such a horrible trade. they were set with DeBrincat until the end of 2020's, now they will not be able to achieve next to nothing for closer to a decade. Unless there's a miracle.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So how much is he really going to ask for? If it's 8 digits AAV then he's probably traded regardless of how well he does.

I'm in the belief that Ottawa will not pay any player above what they gave their captain.
He already gets more than the Captain this year coming up.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I have sympathy for Hawks fans. Senators fans have been through this. In hind site, one of our most fan hated trades (EK) ended up being one our best in history. The second most hated (at least since I’ve been a fan) was trading away Mark Stone, still TBD how it ultimately turns out but it could have been so much more especially if a trade was inevitable (it seemed like the writing was on the wall, he was traded minutes before the deadline in his pre-FA season in the end).

So honestly, thank you Blackhawks for this one, I feel your pain, and hope some of the picks you got really pan out.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Yikes. I have a hard time believing this is the best the Hawks could get. Debrincat is worth at least a top3 pick, or a more blue chip prospect.

Senators were a disappointment last year, but I have to imagine they will meet expectations this year with an addition like this.
He was being widely shopped and this was likely the best offer they got....this week. Terrible time to move a guy like this, why not wait until the season starts, TDL, etc? See how FA and the cap shakes out? Well we all know why, and I guess their calculation is "who cares what the best deal is, addition by subtraction because he makes us worse". Which is lame and I hope karma gets them Buffalo style. These teams that are blatantly trying to be brutal can go into 15-20 year periods of loserness, here is hoping the Hawks vets f*** up their plans.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I have sympathy for Hawks fans. Senators fans have been through this. In hind site, one of our most fan hated trades (EK) ended up being one our best in history. The second most hated (at least since I’ve been a fan) was trading away Mark Stone, still TBD how it ultimately turns out but it could have been so much more especially if a trade was inevitable (it seemed like the writing was on the wall, he was traded minutes before the deadline in his pre-FA season in the end).

So honestly, thank you Blackhawks for this one, I feel your pain, and hope some of the picks you got really pan out.

Word. Feels so much like the Sentors when they traded for Duchene (Seth Jones) at a mega premium price. Proceeded to implode. Then decided to rebuild and trade our best player Stone (DeBrincat), for a questionably low value.

So man I feel your pain Hawks fans. It's brutal and the worst has yet to come by the looks of it.

But like only so much sympathy tbh, because you guys did win 3 cups....

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Would have been a better return.
Trading the #3oa and Debrincat for Subban (who three years later is having trouble finding a one year deal) like you advocated doing would have been a better return than turning those same assets into Nazar and Korchinski?

Lolololol!!!

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Trading the #3oa and Debrincat for Subban (who three years later is having trouble finding a one year deal) like you advocated doing would have been a better return than turning those same assets into Nazar and Korchinski?

Lolololol!!!
Not that I agree with previous poster, but wasn’t subban passable three years ago? I think the hawks would’ve been better off going for it a few years back (Ala lightning but not necessarily subban) while toews and Kane were still in their primes then this weird in and out they’ve been doing since 2019. I admit they’ve picked a direction though which is good it’s just going to be a very long time horizon. I don’t think they’ll be back in the playoff discussion until 25-26

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Congratulation Ottawa fans. Don't like the Sens but lived in Ottawa and I like the people. Your team took a giant step forward. You have lots of talent on that team at every position. Now do us all a favour and beat the Leafs every time you play them.

Reactions: SenzZen and Neiler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad