Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Brady Tkachuk re-signs with Senators (7 years, $8.205714M AAV)

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Good. I think Brady has pretty good vision, he just doesn't use it enough when he's so single minded about shooting.

The coaching staff asked him to shoot more, I mean. After his rookie season. Told him to put it on net whenever he has a look.

As we add more skill, I am sure he will reign it in (like he did in his rookie season)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
One thing about these Brady Tkachuk debates, I wonder if people are actually taking in consideration that he has so far played in the NHL in his 19, 20 and 21 y/o seasons. And not only that, he didn't have great linemates consistently as it was on a 100% rebuilding team. Outside of Mark Stone during his rookie year and before the deadline, the other best players he had were pure rookies.

I mean, if you're not massively taking this in consideration when talking about Brady stats, you're just doing it wrong.

If you think 50pts is worth 10% of your cap RIGHT NOW then that’s on you, but it’s not based in reality.
Who cares what the guy giving him money thinks. In terms of actually winning hockey games (something I guess Ottawa hasn’t ever been great at) the AAV is all that matters

Don't care much about Tkachuk debates, I mean the guy is big enough to defend himself but I was wondering about what the bolded means.

After getting back a NHL team in 1992-93, Ottawa had 4-5 really hard years (made the playoffs the 5th year though) building from scratch (not comparable to recent expansions) but after that, they had a 20 years stretch (1997-98 to 2016-17) with these results :

784-528-77-135 for 1 780 pts in 1524 GP (0.584 P%) which is good for 5th overall in the NHL during these 20 years

Some playoffs success too but more average and no Cup (2 ECF and 1 SCF)

They went into a scorched earth rebuild since 2017-18 so maybe you meant in these last few years?

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The ONLY number that matters in terms of winning hockey games is AAV. The salary only matters to the owner and since none of us are that, it’s irrelevant to being up

Wrong. AAV is completely irrelevant unless you are up against the cap. The Sens aren't close to the cap, and won't be any time soon. By the time they are close to the cap, the cap will be much higher, and Brady's AAV will be a much smaller percentage of the team's salary at a point where he will be at the peak of his career. That's the whole reason the Sens were so insistent on a long term contract... In order to eat more AAV in first few years, and get a bargain in the later years when Brady is at his peak, and the team is a contender.

Reactions: Michael HOMERUNing

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Wrong. AAV is completely irrelevant unless you are up against the cap. The Sens aren't close to the cap, and won't be any time soon. By the time they are close to the cap, the cap will be much higher, and Brady's AAV will be a much smaller percentage of the team's salary at a point where he will be at the peak of his career. That's the whole reason the Sens were so insistent on a long term contract... In order to eat more AAV in first few years, and get a bargain in the later years when Brady is at his peak, and the team is a contender.

I'm really trying to imagine Brady ever being so good that $8.2057m comes off as a bargain, and it makes my head hurt straining to see it.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I'm really trying to imagine Brady ever being so good that $8.2057m comes off as a bargain, and it makes my head hurt straining to see it.
Getting him to stay there for 7 years was the coup. Of course they were going to have to overpay a bit. They bought some of his prime UFA years while the cap will be on the rise. It was the right move for the sens. They are putting together a solid squad and are banking on Tkachuk being a big part of it.
This isn’t a typical sens move. Usually they do t even like to pay their own guys. Congrats sens fans. Future looks bright.
Ott is going thru a full blown rebuild. It’s not accelerated by much. The aren’t going to attract the Panarins/Matthews/etc In Free agency.
It’s vital that they keep the guys they draft instead of the cycle of just trading them away when they develop and need to get paid.
A lot of this contract is predicated on what Tkachuk will do for the sens rather then what he’s done up to this point. Add to that the fact that he’s likely not going anywhere for 7 more years and it’s not as bad as most think.
The Karlsson trade was the only real stroke of luck the sens got. No one saw Norris and Batherson developing into the players they are now, and this fast. Plus the pick being top 3 to grab Stutzle. It was huggggee. Sens are a good drafting team but that trade put them at least 2 years ahead of schedule imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It’s the “intangibles” comments. Toews had this weird “leadership” trait that Hawks fans used to say he was worth $10M.

Sens fans are now using that he “hits and shoots a lot” to Explain why they gave a 50pt player 10% of their cap.

Because he’s pacing at 40 goals and 78 points while hitting and shooting a lot.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Because he’s pacing at 40 goals and 78 points while hitting and shooting a lot.
Good for him and a great 20 games! We all know the first 30 games of a 8 year contract is the most important part. How’s that translating for wins for you guys?

Very, very weird flex.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Good for him and a great 20 games! We all know the first 30 games of a 8 year contract is the most important part. How’s that translating for wins for you guys?

No need to be so salty just because your initial take is looking bad.

We all make mistakes. Adults admit them.

nbwingsfan said:
Better hope Tkachuk really improves on those totals.

So far, so good.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No need to be so salty just because your initial take is looking bad.

We all make mistakes. Adults admit them.

So far, so good.
You’re flexing on 20 games of an eight year contract :laugh: One a team that’s embarrassing themselves (again). You’re just asking for a cold streak.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You’re flexing on 20 games of an eight year contract :laugh: One a team that’s embarrassing themselves (again). You’re just asking for a cold streak.

I’m just checking in on his progress against your projection.

Clearly exceeding expectations and that’s a good news story for everyone.

Reactions: Masked

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'll be ecstatic if the Flames can get older brother Matthew to sign for the same term and amount.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
A lot of money to pay for a 45p guy.. bear in mind Aho gets the same and Drai only a bit more. Tkachuk is a few tiers below them so what can we say. A very, very strange deal from the Senators.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Why do you seem so salty and mad?

Are you always this confrontational or just when you arguments aren't going your way?

I have a weird feeling you'll quote me without actually addressing the specific questions I just asked you.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
A lot of money to pay for a 45p guy.. bear in mind Aho gets the same and Drai only a bit more. Tkachuk is a few tiers below them so what can we say. A very, very strange deal from the Senators.
Draisitl is in year 3 of his contract, and a lot thought it was overpayment then, not so much now.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Why do you seem so salty and mad?

Are you always this confrontational or just when you arguments aren't going your way?

I have a weird feeling you'll quote me without actually addressing the specific questions I just asked you.
I am neither salty nor mad. I get quite an enjoyment of out you guys trying to boast over a 20 game sample of a ~650 game sample like it means anything. Especially when you’re the bottom of the barrel in the NHL again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad