Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Brady Tkachuk re-signs with Senators (7 years, $8.205714M AAV)

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
It’s the “intangibles” comments. Toews had this weird “leadership” trait that Hawks fans used to say he was worth $10M.

Sens fans are now using that he “hits and shoots a lot” to Explain why they gave a 50pt player 10% of their cap.

I did explain. They're paying a 3rd of what toews got in the first year, and they're paying for future production instead of past.

Ottawa is making a bet on the future. You're rambling about intangibles and irrelevant UFA contracts.

Reactions: TeamRenzo

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I did explain. They're paying a 3rd of what toews got in the first year, and they're paying for future production instead of past.

Ottawa is making a bet on the future. You're rambling about intangibles and irrelevant UFA contracts.
You’re not getting it. Fans keep saying he’s worth it because of “intangibles”. This was the same excuse Hawks fans used to justify Toews being overpaid. Turns out paying for intangibles doesn’t work.

Im not comparing them as players, just the excuses to justify grossly overpaying a player

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
It’s the “intangibles” comments. Toews had this weird “leadership” trait that Hawks fans used to say he was worth $10M.

Sens fans are now using that he “hits and shoots a lot” to Explain why they gave a 50pt player 10% of their cap.
What I find funny is that people are hung up on the "50 point ceiling" that Brady hasn't surpassed in 3 seasons. But what is not taken into consideration is that fact that he was playing in the NHL at an age where most other young guys are still developing in the minors, junior, College or European leagues. Far different comparing a guy who just turned 22 to a guy who now 24.
As for intangibles, Brady has what Toews had as a leader plus is one of the top hitters in the whole league. And his scoring will only increase going forward.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Fans were happy about a lot of contracts that turned out poorly
As a Wings fan you seem to be very concerned about Tkachuk's contract. You probably should be more concerned about a bunch of Red Wing high draft picks that look very poor right now.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
What I find funny is that people are hung up on the "50 point ceiling" that Brady hasn't surpassed in 3 seasons. But what is not taken into consideration is that fact that he was playing in the NHL at an age where most other young guys are still developing in the minors, junior, College or European leagues. Far different comparing a guy who just turned 22 to a guy who now 24.
As for intangibles, Brady has what Toews had as a leader plus is one of the top hitters in the whole league. And his scoring will only increase going forward.
You’re in the dressing room to know what kind of leader he is? Hes led the Sens far into the playoffs like Toews? What has he done to prove he’s such a big leader?

Also, I’m not comparing him to 24 year olds. Pretty much every comparable brought up in this thread was about the same age as him and played in the NHL in their D+1 or D+2

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
You’re not getting it. Fans keep saying he’s worth it because of “intangibles”. This was the same excuse Hawks fans used to justify Toews being overpaid. Turns out paying for intangibles doesn’t work.

Im not comparing them as players, just the excuses to justify grossly overpaying a player

Again toews 13.8 million at 28. Ufa
Brady 4.5 million at 22. Rfa

Don't know how else to help you here.

Reactions: NyQuil and c_mak

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Again toews 13.8 million at 28. Ufa
Brady 4.5 million at 22. Rfa

Don't know how else to help you here.
Why are you using actual salary like it means a single thing? AAV is really all that matters.

Both were overpaid for their intangibles. Didn’t work out for the Hawks. Remains to be seen how the Sens do

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Why are you using actual salary like it means a single thing? AAV is really all that matters.

Both were overpaid for their intangibles. Didn’t work out for the Hawks. Remains to be seen how the Sens do

Incorrect.

Ottawa is paying him appropriately for what he's doing now. The salary then climbs aggressively in anticipation of him developing more.

If he doesn't keep up, he will be overpaid.

Currently he's well worth what he's being paid. I can assure you the guy giving him real money thinks real money matters.

If you can't or refuse to acknowledge the big picture then your commentary is flawed and irrelevant.

Reactions: King Karl

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
FTR... this is the list of guys who are top 5 in shots over a 3 year span in the cap era (recent to oldest).
MacKinnon
Ovechkin
P.Kane
Matthews
B.Tkachuk
Seguin
Burns
Tarasenko
Pacioretty
Kessel
Nash
E.Kane
Parise
Zetterberg
Stamkos
Carter
Staal
Lecavalier
J.Blake
Jokinen
Hossa
Kovalchuk

Here's the list of players that did it on their ELC:
Ovechkin
B.Tkachuk

Here's the list of players who were also top 5 in hits:
B.Tkachuk

So when you ask for a comparable to Tkachuk - you're missing the point. There isn't one. Some guys come close in some aspects (D.Brown, E.Kane, Lucic, Ovechkin, Backes, Clutterbuck, etc..) but not a single players has done what Brady has done as a whole, in the cap era. Period.

Nylander on the other hand can be judged mostly on points. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But it's indisputable that Brady is the rarer commodity. That's where his value lies, and that's why he got paid.

being a league leader in shots with a career high 22 goals is not something you should brag about ...career 8.7 shooting % is below average. league average usually fluctuates around 10%, and that is among all forwards, not just the top paid. (there more players bringing the average down than up)
...then compare him to OV who owns a career 12.8% in his worst season he was 8.7 and still scored 32 goals, shots are great, but they need to go in more often.

As long as Sens fans are happy, I'm glad for them though!

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Incorrect.

Ottawa is paying him appropriately for what he's doing now. The salary then climbs aggressively in anticipation of him developing more.

If he doesn't keep up, he will be overpaid.

Currently he's well worth what he's being paid. I can assure you the guy giving him real money thinks real money matters.

If you can't or refuse to acknowledge the big picture then your commentary is flawed and irrelevant.
If you think 50pts is worth 10% of your cap RIGHT NOW then that’s on you, but it’s not based in reality.
Who cares what the guy giving him money thinks. In terms of actually winning hockey games (something I guess Ottawa hasn’t ever been great at) the AAV is all that matters

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
being a league leader in shots with a career high 22 goals is not something you should brag about ...career 8.7 shooting % is below average. league average usually fluctuates around 10%, and that is among all forwards, not just the top paid. (there more players bringing the average down than up)
...then compare him to OV who owns a career 12.8% in his worst season he was 8.7 and still scored 32 goals, shots are great, but they need to go in more often.

word

Brady would be a better player if he was more selective about his shot. Spamming them isn't always the best idea.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
FTR... this is the list of guys who are top 5 in shots over a 3 year span in the cap era (recent to oldest).
MacKinnon
Ovechkin
P.Kane
Matthews
B.Tkachuk
Seguin
Burns
Tarasenko
Pacioretty
Kessel
Nash
E.Kane
Parise
Zetterberg
Stamkos
Carter
Staal
Lecavalier
J.Blake
Jokinen
Hossa
Kovalchuk

Here's the list of players that did it on their ELC:
Ovechkin
B.Tkachuk

Here's the list of players who were also top 5 in hits:
B.Tkachuk

So when you ask for a comparable to Tkachuk - you're missing the point. There isn't one. Some guys come close in some aspects (D.Brown, E.Kane, Lucic, Ovechkin, Backes, Clutterbuck, etc..) but not a single players has done what Brady has done as a whole, in the cap era. Period.

Nylander on the other hand can be judged mostly on points. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But it's indisputable that Brady is the rarer commodity. That's where his value lies, and that's why he got paid.

The problem is that Brady's shot isn't that good. And he wastes a lot of opportunities for his line mates when he forces low chance shots.

If his shot and his ability to shoot are so positive where are the offensive numbers to back it up? They aren't there because not all shots are created equal.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
If you think 50pts is worth 10% of your cap RIGHT NOW then that’s on you, but it’s not based in reality.
Who cares what the guy giving him money thinks. In terms of actually winning hockey games (something I guess Ottawa hasn’t ever been great at) the AAV is all that matters

Okay well if you're not going to acknowledge the words the numbers or the contract then yes you're going to come to flagrantly wrong conclusions.

I hope you at least watch the right sport.

Good talk, take care.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

10% league average? Would love to get a source on this. Good luck.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Okay well if you're not going to acknowledge the words the numbers or the contract then yes you're going to come to flagrantly wrong conclusions.

I hope you at least watch the right sport.

Good talk, take care.
The ONLY number that matters in terms of winning hockey games is AAV. The salary only matters to the owner and since none of us are that, it’s irrelevant to being up

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Reactions: Bevans

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Lol the argument for this contract being good is that he shoots a lot

thats beyond comedy

who knows, maybe he gets to a point where he’s worth this massive amount of money, but shooting the puck a lot and not scoring is not a positive

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You sure will be soon. Better hope Tkachuk really improves on those totals.

Well, the cap may not be where it is today in a few years.

It’s a long contract for a player who they are betting will improve given that he’s put up 3 seasons in the NHL before the age of 22.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Lol the argument for this contract being good is that he shoots a lot

thats beyond comedy

who knows, maybe he gets to a point where he’s worth this massive amount of money, but shooting the puck a lot and not scoring is not a positive

Yea the fact that he shoots a lot is more of a product of the way he plays than anything. He's always in front of the net waiting to bang at rebounds so he easily gets shots in close but most of the time they just end up on the goalies pads. I think his shooting volume speaks to the quality of his play around the net though and his ability to get on loose pucks and outmuscle defensemen in front of the net. Obviously a lot of goals are created because of him (screens, pushing dman out of position) as well and they don't show on his stat sheet. One thing though about his shooting is that as he gets more experienced and stronger, he should have more patience around the net and be more in control of where he shoots the puck. Also as his linemates get better and better it'll create more opportunities for Tkachuk.

I don't think Tkachuk will have a problem producing to the level of his contract in the end. I remember people being up in arms about how much guys like Nylander and O'reilly got when they signed their contracts but they more than lived up to it. The cap will go up and Brady will inevitably get better and so will the quality of his teammates. This is a team that didn't have possession of the puck for the past few years but Tkachuk still was able to find a way to produce against top quality competition just because of the way that he plays. I think starting this season the team plays with more possession and that will be a huge boost to everyone on the team, and especially Tkachuk because his value is at it's maximum when he's around the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad