GDT: Sweden vs Poland

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Teams like Italy shouldn't have been in it either. This tournament would benefit from cutting at least four teams.
I think the main issue that Russia and Belarus, a medel contender and a competitive team, are suspended. That has bumped two lesser teams up. Great Britain and Poland doesn't really belong. It probably would've been better to continue the Championship division with 14 teams.

I wonder what they will do when Russia and Belarus gets reinstated. A year with no promotion from Div 1? Or have 4 teams relegated

Reactions: Summer Rose

aquaregia

May 23, 2022
Lancashire
By that logic we might as well include the entire division beneath. The gap between the 6-7 best teams and the rest is simply too big.
Why shouldn't every world championship in every sport just be 8 or 10 teams then?

You have to understand that the point of these events is deliberately to err on the side of overinclusion, be a showcase of the sport and the different parts of the world where its played, and to give a rare opportunity for some of these players on the fringe teams to test themselves against some of the elite.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The games vs Kazakstan and France will be decisive for them. Latvia has probably already secured their spot with two wins.

Last year Slovenia has 0pts and Hungry 3pts when they got relagated
If they play as they did against Latvia and Sweden, then they will win against France and Kazaks.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think the main issue that Russia and Belarus, a medel contender and a competitive team,
That's the Belarus that got demoted to D1A 6 years ago and then got 1 win in their last WC campaign after they climbed back? Truly, how can countries like Poland take their place, will we ever be able to cope with such drop in quality.

It's also funny, out of their 5 head to head games, Poland won 3 and Belarus 2. So yeah, terrible.

legionista

Jan 17, 2013
Maryland/Brooklyn
Mistakes will kill you at this level, especially if you’re Poland. They made two big ones today.
1) Wronkas turnover in the breakout that led to 2-0 for Sweden.
2) The high sticking double minor in the 3rd by Polish player. Poland had some momentum prior to that penalty.

Poland wouldn’t have won, but would’ve been a little closer IMO.

trust no one

Apr 21, 2024
By that logic we might as well include the entire division beneath. The gap between the 6-7 best teams and the rest is simply too big.
Hmm...Norway beat Canada last year, Denmark beat them as well year before (2022). Both countries reached quarters multiple times in recent decade (with Russia and Belarus in the mix). Latvia won bronze by beating Czechs, Swedes and USA. It's not like they "cheated" their way to the bronze via Germany/Swiss/Slovak route.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
That's the Belarus that got demoted to D1A 6 years ago and then got 1 win in their last WC campaign after they climbed back? Truly, how can countries like Poland take their place, will we ever be able to cope with such drop in quality.

It's also funny, out of their 5 head to head games, Poland won 3 and Belarus 2. So yeah, terrible.
Well, Belarus beat Sweden in 2021 and have been a regular fixture in the Championship group throughout the 2000s. And to be fair, Belarus had a bit of a funk recently, but they have a bunch of good prospects coming up and I expect them to be on about the level of Denmark and Latvia when they return whenever that is. A team with Sharangovich, Protas and Levshunov could pose some threat to top team in a single game.

SabrePL

Somewhere in Poland
Jul 1, 2021
Damn! We were so close ;)
Honestly I like polish players do what their best. They were not affraid of swedish stars. They gave their heart, they put all they have, and I'm sure every polish fan is proude of our national team.

Sweden - Poland 8147:0
You know what this statistic is?
Games in NHL by players from those national teams in IIHF WC 2024.

Walczyć, Polska walczyć!!

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
For those who simply want best on best, World Cup of Hockey coming in 2025 which will most likely have anywhere between 4 and 8 teams.
2025 the NHL will replace the usual All-Star week events with a 4 Nations Tourmament instead. Swiss group, top 2 teams then play a final game.

Sure, it will star the top 4 nations but it's more a taste test for the real deal: the Olympics.

trust no one

Apr 21, 2024
For those who simply want best on best, World Cup of Hockey coming in 2025 which will most likely have anywhere between 4 and 8 teams.
I will stick with Olympics with NHL-ers in 2026 and 2030. rather than World Cup which is being held every decade or two. Plus nobody can take seriously competition with "national" teams that includes Europe and North America U-23. I just checked world map and can't find these two "countries".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad