OT: Other Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies, etc...Part VI

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
At this point it's almost a sure thing that Jokic will finish this season leading the NBA in VORP, BPM, WS/48, and PER for the fourth season in a row.

The only other guys to lead the NBA in all four categories four or more years in a row were LeBron (5 seasons from 2009-13), Jordan (6 seasons from 1988-93), and Kareem (4 seasons from 1975-79).
and yet every single @&*#ing night I have to watch the Lakers and GS Warriors get deepthroated by ESPN while they vie to stay above .500 and compete for playoff one-and-done spots in the Western Conference

Reactions: 5280 and katfude

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So I'm not sure on these new NFL rules changes.

The kickoff thing is plain stupid, I've watched it in the XFL and it was dumb there and it will be just as dumb in the NFL. I believe the goal is to prevent injuries as the players can't get as much momentum, but I would love to see the actual stats on injuries on the kickoff, it can't be exceptionally higher than any other play. And if the goal is to see more returns then just move the kickoff back 5 to 10 yards, not this gimmick.

Then hip drop tackle being removed is also ridiculous. They might as well just move to flag football at this point. With the sheer amount of ways the defense isn't allowed to tackle, I'm not actually sure how you are supposed to get a guy down. Basically at this point you have to put a pillow down and gently lay the opposing player down or hope that you can slightly push them out of bounds.

This is a contact sport and unfortunately that leads to injuries. I don't believe players are purposely out there trying to hurt each other it just happens.

And if the league is truly concerned about player health and wants less injuries then how come they aren't concerned about the field quality and construction? I see more ACL/knee and achilles blown out due to bad field construction/composition than players getting hurt from a hip drop tackle. Mandate a very specific field composition and test it every week. Oh wait that's right that would cost owners money, wouldn't want to hurt those owners pockets. Let's just blame a specific tackle and call it good.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
So I'm not sure on these new NFL rules changes.

The kickoff thing is plain stupid, I've watched it in the XFL and it was dumb there and it will be just as dumb in the NFL. I believe the goal is to prevent injuries as the players can't get as much momentum, but I would love to see the actual stats on injuries on the kickoff, it can't be exceptionally higher than any other play. And if the goal is to see more returns then just move the kickoff back 5 to 10 yards, not this gimmick.

Then hip drop tackle being removed is also ridiculous. They might as well just move to flag football at this point. With the sheer amount of ways the defense isn't allowed to tackle, I'm not actually sure how you are supposed to get a guy down. Basically at this point you have to put a pillow down and gently lay the opposing player down or hope that you can slightly push them out of bounds.

This is a contact sport and unfortunately that leads to injuries. I don't believe players are purposely out there trying to hurt each other it just happens.

And if the league is truly concerned about player health and wants less injuries then how come they aren't concerned about the field quality and construction? I see more ACL/knee and achilles blown out due to bad field construction/composition than players getting hurt from a hip drop tackle. Mandate a very specific field composition and test it every week. Oh wait that's right that would cost owners money, wouldn't want to hurt those owners pockets. Let's just blame a specific tackle and call it good.
There weren't that many injuries on kickoff's because every team was kicking the ball out of the endzone every time. This rule makes it safer and also encourages it to be actually part of the game rather than a dead play 90% of the time.

I see the hip drop tackle as an extension of the horse collar rule. You can tackle someone from behind while using your weight still, you just cant do that AND land on them. The players will adapt just as they always do. These rules implemented at the NFL level effects youth sports and how kids are taught to tackle. It's a good thing.

Field conditions should be regulated and improved but teams already do spend money on that. As someone who tore their ACL in college on a shitty turf field that was probably 5 years past being upgraded, I get it. Most of the concussions I see at the youth level are because of shitty fields. The NFL has some field issues but field conditions are much more of an issue for lower level leagues than the NFL.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
and yet every single @&*#ing night I have to watch the Lakers and GS Warriors get deepthroated by ESPN while they vie to stay above .500 and compete for playoff one-and-done spots in the Western Conference
Well ratings matter to the networks who have to vastly overpay for the almost exhibition basketball we call the regular season. If the Lakers are Warriors are sucking then the networks are screwed because few are going to tune in for the Wolves, Thunder, Pelicans or Kings. They tune in to the Nuggets now thankfully thanks to last year and the MVP.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
There weren't that many injuries on kickoff's because every team was kicking the ball out of the endzone every time. This rule makes it safer and also encourages it to be actually part of the game rather than a dead play 90% of the time.

I see the hip drop tackle as an extension of the horse collar rule. You can tackle someone from behind while using your weight still, you just cant do that AND land on them. The players will adapt just as they always do. These rules implemented at the NFL level effects youth sports and how kids are taught to tackle. It's a good thing.

Field conditions should be regulated and improved but teams already do spend money on that. As someone who tore their ACL in college on a shitty turf field that was probably 5 years past being upgraded, I get it. Most of the concussions I see at the youth level are because of shitty fields. The NFL has some field issues but field conditions are much more of an issue for lower level leagues than the NFL.
I guess we'll see how the hip drop tackle rule works. Agree its not good for the league due to the injuries but sometimes its the only way a guy can be tackled. I think trying to bring down big running backs will be very difficult if they get going without such a tackle. If you don't square up and hit them near the LOS then you are either reaching or chasing and a lot of those tackles are going to at least look like a hip drop. Otherwise the only way they are going down is going to be to trip them up or force them out of bounds. You really can't tackle that kind of force running by you by holding your ground and pulling them down with just arm strength.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Can't help but think eliminating a hip drop tackle just means more guys are going to try and hit up high. But we'll see I suppose.

I'm somewhat excited to see how the new XFL kickoff rule goes, that's a rule change I'm actually okay with.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Did the broncos pickup Joshua Reynolds, to allow a Sutton trade?
I doubt it. I can see them prioritizing WRs to help any QB that comes in. Sutton has his flaws, but is still pretty good. Two years a go he was a complete mess, last year he was better, hopefully that trend continues and he gets closer to who he was before blowing out his knee.

Reactions: AvsWraith

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Did the broncos pickup Joshua Reynolds, to allow a Sutton trade?
I'd be okay with that.

I doubt it. I can see them prioritizing WRs to help any QB that comes in. Sutton has his flaws, but is still pretty good. Two years a go he was a complete mess, last year he was better, hopefully that trend continues and he gets closer to who he was before blowing out his knee.

I mean...maybe Tim Patrick makes it back. Maybe.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
I'd be okay with that.

I mean...maybe Tim Patrick makes it back. Maybe.
What could Sutton even get us? A 3rd?

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I also realized cap room?
That would have to come from a trade. His money this year is fully guaranteed. If I read the cap calculator right, cutting him will saves us nothing. Advanced stats have him at a 6.7% drop percentage. Which is lower than I thought it would be, but when you factor his age + drops, I doubt anyone will trade for him and his $13 million dollar cap hit.

Broncos have around $20ish million right now. Should be enough to cover our drafties.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Reynolds in 2 seasons makes what Jerry will make in 1. A decent deal, WRs are the offensive engine in the modern NFL. Great QB with mediocre WRs and you get the Chargers or the struggling Chiefs before they figured it out.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
this guy has serious butter hands - 6+% drop rate both of the last two years. For comparisons sake, Jeudy only has went over the 6% mark once......There's no way in hell I'd let this guy be our #1.
He should certainly work on it but any stat in the low single digits is subject to regression and luck. Its kind of like shooting in the NHL. If a guy shoots 7% normally but one year hits 15% do you think he figured it out? He's as likely to go back to 6-8% the next year.

And drop rate perception is so situationally dependent. If the one drop every two games (6% rate) he makes is on a 3rd and 15 pass when he's 5 yards down the field in the first quarter, you really aren't even going to think much about it. If he drops a five yard pass in the end zone on the last play of the game, you remember it forever. Both are drops, do you decide who is the #1 receiver on drop rate or because of situation?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad