OT: Other Sports aka #Broncos #SellRockiesSell #Nuggets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Yeah, I see you haven’t met SEPH yet :naughty:

I like soccer/futbol or whatever you want to call it...I still can’t figure out how we are so colossally bad at it
Mostly I think because everyone else tries really hard at it

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

I like soccer/futbol or whatever you want to call it...I still can’t figure out how we are so colossally bad at it

Pretty easy to pinpoint why USA is so terrible at soccer, their player development is garbage. The skill level at the international level is so high youth players need to be in training basically all day every day. The high school/university system does nothing but hurt the development process. No successful world power tries to attach becoming a professional player with education. I would go so far as to suggest USA Soccer push to end scorekeeping in youth leagues, as that actually hurts player development.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

We don't care. We have better sports.

Do the math. We're a first world country with 300 million people that can't beat Trinidad & Tobago. If a tenth of our population was at all zealous about Soccer as purported the US would at least a power. Look at our standing in hockey where the US is a power despite it being a regional sport.

It flies in the face of Soccer schills vainglorious predictions about the sport over taking the NFL, or the kids playing Soccer will become die hards or immigrants will stick with the game. Makes all the capital and gaslighting media and apparel companies poured into trying to make Soccer happen in the states look like a huge waste.

Such schadenfreude!

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
We don't care. We have better sports.

Do the math. We're a first world country with 300 million people that can't beat Trinidad & Tobago. If a tenth of our population was at all zealous about Soccer as purported the US would at least a power. Look at our standing in hockey where the US is a power despite it being a regional sport.

It flies in the face of Soccer schills vainglorious predictions about the sport over taking the NFL, or the kids playing Soccer will become die hards or immigrants will stick with the game. Makes all the capital and gaslighting media and apparel companies poured into trying to make Soccer happen in the states look like a huge waste.

Such schadenfreude!

Man some soccer fan really did you wrong once. The sport is already mainstream. I know you might be in denial about it but it is.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Pretty easy to pinpoint why USA is so terrible at soccer, their player development is garbage. The skill level at the international level is so high youth players need to be in training basically all day every day. The high school/university system does nothing but hurt the development process. No successful world power tries to attach becoming a professional player with education. I would go so far as to suggest USA Soccer push to end scorekeeping in youth leagues, as that actually hurts player development.

Very few even semi decent US prospects go the high school college route anymore. There's a lot of structural issues to US player development. Large distances between cities, limited number of trained coaches and a very young soccer culture. Most of the current generation probably grew up with a parents generation that generally didn't watch or play the sport. I don't think it's any coincidence that Christian Pulisic dad was a former pro player. This current teenage crop is the first to come up with champions league and EPL stuff a regular part of the sports landscape.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Rox need to find a way to bolster that bullpen, with or without Holland. And it's always a bit of a risk to give term to a closer, but sooner or later ya gotta take a gamble. Plus, I don't know if there are other viable options.

The biggest need right now is another middle of the order bat. They refuse to bat Blackmon anywhere but leadoff, and Arenado and Reynolds were the only others who carried an above average bat throughout the season. Reynolds is a longshot to repeat, and was already pretty bad by the end of the season. Granted, I would prefer a lefty, but they need to take a long hard look at Upton, and at least entertain the notion of making a move for Stanton. That is assuming Dahl remains too much of a wildcard.

Priority number two should be bringing back Lucroy. He was very good for us last year.

Priority three should be McGee and Neshek. Holland would be fine if he doesn't price himself out, but I suspect he will.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Regarding US soccer...

This isn't a shot at soccer, but a large part of why the US isn't great at it is because of sports like football, baseball, basketball, and to a lesser extent hockey.

In most (all?) countries that are good at soccer, soccer is the most popular sport by a large margin. It's the sport where people make the most money, it's the sport that gets people mainstream exposure, it's the sport everybody in the country grows up watching. So the better athletes in the country are naturally drawn to soccer. I'm not saying that's always how it works out, but it's definitely a factor.

Whereas in the US, we have four big leagues that feature sports that are mostly only popular in the US and Canada. Those are the sports that draw the athletes in the US because those are the sports that said athletes grew up playing and watching. Those are the sports where top athletes can make the most money and get the most attention.

Do you think the US would still suck at soccer if people like LeBron James, Bryce Harper, Patrick Kane, Cam Newton, Dez Bryant, Von Miller, Russell Westbrook, etc played soccer their whole lives instead of their chosen sports?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Man some soccer fan really did you wrong once.
Annoyed the **** out of rather. "The rest of the world calls soccer football" needs to be legal grounds for assault
The sport is already mainstream. I know you might be in denial about it but it is.
Nevermind the MLS pulling a 6th of the money of the NHL and less viewers than a fish tank behind the curtain.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Annoyed the **** out of rather. "The rest of the world calls soccer football" needs to be legal grounds for assault Nevermind the MLS pulling a 6th of the money of the NHL and less viewers than a fish tank behind the curtain.

Mls is not the be all and end all of the sport. It's lik saying AHL ratings show hockey isn't popular

But yeah if I was there I'd help you beat up the guy who said that lol

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Regarding US soccer...

This isn't a shot at soccer, but a large part of why the US isn't great at it is because of sports like football, baseball, basketball, and to a lesser extent hockey.

In most (all?) countries that are good at soccer, soccer is the most popular sport by a large margin. It's the sport where people make the most money, it's the sport that gets people mainstream exposure, it's the sport everybody in the country grows up watching. So the better athletes in the country are naturally drawn to soccer. I'm not saying that's always how it works out, but it's definitely a factor.

Whereas in the US, we have four big leagues that feature sports that are mostly only popular in the US and Canada. Those are the sports that draw the athletes in the US because those are the sports that said athletes grew up playing and watching. Those are the sports where top athletes can make the most money and get the most attention.

Do you think the US would still suck at soccer if people like LeBron James, Bryce Harper, Patrick Kane, Cam Newton, Dez Bryant, Von Miller, Russell Westbrook, etc played soccer their whole lives instead of their chosen sports?

Soccer is a very different skill set. Not sure Lebron or many of the football players would be elite at all. Of all of them I'd say Patrick Kane probably would be the best soccer player

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
In most (all?) countries that are good at soccer, soccer is the most popular sport by a large margin.
Usually in the Third World.

It's unfortunate, the can't afford a good sport. The only piece of sporting equipment available is the decapitated head of a child soldier victim to kick around.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Soccer has historically had huge issues with racism. That’s well known. Even by people like me who hate soccer

The World had problems with racism. So it stands to reason the most popular sport in the world is going to have issues. Silly to try to extrapolate it onto billions of people. But I guess soccer haters are getting desperate nowadays.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Usually in the Third World.

It's unfortunate, the can't afford a good sport. The only piece of sporting equipment available is the decapitated head of a child soldier victim to kick around.

Wow and we are calling soccer fans racist. Lol

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
The World had problems with racism. So it stands to reason the most popular sport in the world is going to have issues. Silly to try to extrapolate it onto billions of people. But I guess soccer haters are getting desperate nowadays.

You clearly missed my point. And you rebutted with a straw man position I never took.

I feel like you’re taking it a little too personal that someone else in the webiverse doesn’t like soccer

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
You clearly missed my point. And you rebutted with a straw man position I never took.

I feel like you’re taking it a little too personal that someone else in the webiverse doesn’t like soccer

I take everything on the internet personally. Of course when you join an argument midstream often you get caught unawares in other people's arguments. But maybe I'm a bit sour because I was at that Trinidad game. I dunno

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I take everything on the internet personally. Of course when you join an argument midstream often you get caught unawares in other people's arguments. But maybe I'm a bit sour because I was at that Trinidad game. I dunno

Sorry pards. As you were. I know the sinking feeling of being let down by a sports team I idolize all too well.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I bet all my HFCash on the Panthers, thinking it was a freebie. Welp, guess I was wrong.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I bet all my HFCash on the Panthers, thinking it was a freebie. Welp, guess I was wrong.
Don't worry.

My Eagles will blow it.

What we have left on the field today is ridiculous....

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Yeah, I don't really hate throwball, but no doubt I hate the Donkeys. I hate how much coverage they get. I hate how I have to listen about Tim Tebow burritos on the local news. Now though the NFL doesn't really interest me in even hating it, they're already conducting self-suicide. NBA is getting on my nerves a lot more, I don't know how people can want to waste their time by watching super teams. Super teams should be in international competition, not domestic league.

Are you kidding? American soccer fans are the vegan, Jehovah Witnesses of the sports world.
I actually don't disagree with this. :laugh:

Reactions: 5280 and McMetal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad