OT: Other Sports aka #Broncos #SellRockiesSell #Nuggets

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Rockies rotation is f***ing good and they're basically all home grown (I'm counting Marquez since they did a great job scouting him) and they got more coming up in AA in Tinoco, Castellani, and Lambert. Same with Hoffman in AAA if they need one this year. Not bad for a team that can't develop pitchers.

Reactions: Pokecheque

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
So the Ring Ratings Panel voted almost unanimously to advise the Editorial Board to strip Canelo of the middleweight title for a positive PED test.

The Ring Editioral Board voted unanimously to take advice of the Ratings Panel and strip Canelo.

Then Ring's new PR guy overruled them both. Canelo is not stripped and the Ring has completely dropped its policy on PEDs, to be reviewed and reinstated at a later time.

This is so, so sad. These guys used to be the keepers of the lineal title. The REAL championships in boxing, not weighed down by the politics and corruption of the alphabet soup governing bodies.

And then Oscar De Le Hoya bought the Ring, and now it's a sad joke.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
sounds like boxing is heading towards becoming the WWF at this rate

Sad, because I feel like the talent in boxing is at a really good level for the first time in a while. At least it's more entertaining (coming from someone that just recently started watching it again)

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
This is nothing new in boxing. It's bad, but it's not worse than anything that came before it. In general boxing is actually getting better.

It's just that the Ring isn't credible anymore. The Transnational Boxing Ratings Board is the new keeper of the lineal championship.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Out of curiosity....I'm not a huge boxing fan. Never seen a match live and only seen a few on tv...but with all the uproar about concussions and such, how is it that there are folks are worried and bringing lawsuits on the NFL and the NHL but not calling for an immediate stop of boxing and MMA? Or is there such stuff happening and I just don't see it as I really don't follow these sports?

I've got no skin in the game, I'm merely asking. I think these dudes are tough as nails and give them all my respect...I would only get in the ring with Mike Tyson if I was guaranteed 50M and only had to play keep away for like 15 seconds before bailing the ring and being disqualified.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
You can't really get away with claiming that you didn't know getting punched in the head for a living might cause brain damage.

Personally I think it is ridiculous that people are upset the NFL/NHL didn't "warn" them about concussions either. The massive helmet they hand you when you sign up? Dead giveaway.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
NFL players are suing the NFL because the NFL was actively downplaying the effects of hits to the head on one's health when fronted about it, despite being in possession of data that suggested otherwise. So there's absolutely nothing ridiculous with being upset with the NFL.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
NFL players are suing the NFL because the NFL was actively downplaying the effects of hits to the head on one's health when fronted about it, despite being in possession of data that suggested otherwise. So there's absolutely nothing ridiculous with being upset with the NFL.
Again, if someone told you taking repeated, heavy blows to the head wasn't bad for you and you believed them, you're dumb. I had a pretty good understanding that it was bad for my head playing as an eight year old in the mid 1990s. Grown men with college educations have no excuse.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Again, if someone told you taking repeated, heavy blows to the head wasn't bad for you and you believed them, you're dumb. I had a pretty good understanding that it was bad for my head playing as an eight year old in the mid 1990s. Grown men with college educations have no excuse.

That is a ridiculous simplification. These guys don't deserve to be left high and dry with debilitating conditions because they played a rough and violent sport. The various pro leagues need to finally admit that CTE is a thing and take the necessary steps to not only cut down on it, but also take care of those afflicted. There's still plenty of money for the old farts in suits to take to their coffers. They're wasting time and money fighting a ridiculous battle.

And you're just lying if you say you honestly thought back in the day that repeated blows to the head could significantly increase your risk of serious brain maladies later in life. Everyone knows it can't be good for you but there's no way you thought out the real complications down the road.

Reactions: Ivan13

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
As Pokecheque said, this is oversimplifying a serious issue, and you obviously missed the point of my post.

Reactions: Pokecheque

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I've got no skin in the game, I'm merely asking. I think these dudes are tough as nails and give them all my respect...I would only get in the ring with Mike Tyson if I was guaranteed 50M and only had to play keep away for like 15 seconds before bailing the ring and being disqualified.

I'd let Mike Tyson TKO me and teabag my face if I was guaranteed 50 million for it

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I didn't miss your point, I disregarded it on purpose because it's irrelevant.

Have you ever seen an aging boxer or pro wrestler try to spit out a coherent sentence? The term "punch drunk" isn't new.

Nobody is conscripted into contact sports against their will. Nobody should have to tell you that head trauma is bad for you.

They picked a dangerous job and now they have to live with the consequences. Typists get carpal tunnel, carpet guys have knee problems, fighters and football players get head injuries. The world keeps spinning.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Out of curiosity....I'm not a huge boxing fan. Never seen a match live and only seen a few on tv...but with all the uproar about concussions and such, how is it that there are folks are worried and bringing lawsuits on the NFL and the NHL but not calling for an immediate stop of boxing and MMA? Or is there such stuff happening and I just don't see it as I really don't follow these sports?

No, and I don't think that there ever will be any kind of legal action. At this point in the game, everyone is aware of the repercussions of getting hit in the head a lot. There are also way, way, way more protections for guys in combat sports than there used to be. Back in the day guys would get ko'ed, saved by the bell, dragged back to their corner, then put back out in the ring a minute later. Today fighters that lose by ko have to sit out certain periods of time, have to have neurological testing, and generally never fight without headgear outside of matches.

Football is probably a more dangerous sport with regards to brain health than boxing/mma. Lots of former NFL players frequently have problems in their 30's/40's, top level fighters can typically fight until their lat 30's/early 40's.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Wonderful debate. Comparing CTE to carpal tunnel...:dunce:
It's a difference of degree, not a difference of type. The point is, no body else should be responsible for your lack of common sense.

Football has always been a game that heavily involved taking repeated shots to the head. That's why helmets were introduced, that's why they switched from leather to plastic, that's why they put facemasks on them. If you can't pick up on the reasoning behind those changes it's your own fault.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There is a vast difference between eliminating risks and at least making an effort to mitigate them. Right now, the NFL isn't even acknowledging them, which is patently absurd. And it's equally absurd to argue that these guys know they're playing a violent, physical sport, so brain damage is just an inevitable outcome. That's as ridiculous as saying "Well, dude, you worked at a sawmill, you should've known there was a good chance you'd shear your right arm off."

The average career of an NFL player is 2.5 years. During that short time they can come away with serious and debilitating conditions that could hamper their quality of life. I don't see why it's so much to ask a long line of insanely rich people and corporations to put aside what would amount to a pittance to help take care of these people. Again, there are still many billions that they can keep for themselves.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
It isn't about how much money the NFL has. It's about people arguing with a straight face that they didn't know brain damage had consequences, and asking others to bear the responsibility of them choosing to subject themselves to said brain damage anyway.

It's not like working in a sawmill because getting your arm cut off is an accidental hazard. Getting hit in the head is literally part of the job description of a football player. If you want to make the game more safe as we go along, I can get on board with that.

But don't try to tell me that it's anybody else's fault that you got brain damage doing something that literally requires you to repeatedly hit your head.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I think the NFL realizes that once they let the CTE cat out of the bag, the floodgates of continued research will be opened and will follow to the point that the league may no longer be able to exist. Or at the very least, the game will be vastly different from what it is today. They're trying their damnest to not establish unfavorable precedents and to limit future liability.

That's the money side of it at least - the humanity side of it (at least in my opinion) is that the NFL should be funding research etc into this....but again - they won't fund research to kill their own product. At the end of the day it's just simple greed. Ironically, you could say it's greed from both sides (players knowingly participating and owners blocking/minimizing research and results)

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
So Masai Ujiri canned his coach. I dunno...is that really fair? I mean, he lost to LeBron. Everyone does that.

guys gonna win coach of the year probably, so cant keep him around

guy is good a talent eval but fired karl at the wrong time and is gonna make a huge mistake here

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
So Masai Ujiri canned his coach. I dunno...is that really fair? I mean, he lost to LeBron. Everyone does that.

he had more talent now than couple of years ago, but with worse results in the postseason. playing against inferior cavs team too. coaching doesn't impact nearly as much in basketball as player talent (no coach would've won this series for raptors) but his usage of ibaka, derozan and few others (like bebe in the final game, putting him on court for some reason) were inexcusable/he adjusted way too late. before game 4 he talked about how they still have '1 game left'... lol, even if i had a good coach and the series was over, i'd can that guys ass as soon as i got the chance.

they probably had to do something after years of disappointements. they can't really make big moves on player level due to their contracts so coach had to go. casey wasn't the problem but he wasn't part of the solution either.

Reactions: BrickAHL

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
guys gonna win coach of the year probably, so cant keep him around

guy is good a talent eval but fired karl at the wrong time and is gonna make a huge mistake here
He didn't fire Karl at the wrong time at all.

Straight up, if he didn't fire Karl when he did this team doesn't have Jamal Murray.

In fact, Karl should have been fired way back when the Nuggets quit in game 6 of the conference finals against the Lakers. Should have been fired on the court and not allowed back on the plane with the team.

Why does Karl have such a good reputation? All he does everywhere he goes is suppress young talent and start fights with his best players. And then lose spectacularly in the playoffs. Sometimes to the #8 seed in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad