OT: Other Sports aka #Broncos #SellRockiesSell #Nuggets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Yeah, I suppose it's about time to start talking about the draft.

I believe the Broncos have all of their own picks, and an extra 4th and 5th (Bibbs/Sambrailo). Plus, don't they have a compensatory 3rd (or something) for Okung?
I think they have a decent pitch for Kirk Cousins if that's the way they want to go. Possible even Eli or.. ugh...Rivers if they hit the market.

They're projected to have around $22M in cap space and cutting Talib alone will free up $11M. There are some RFAs to tender offers to (Pardis, Fowler and Shaq Barret in particular),but no one to franchise. Cousins would free them to use a high pick on an OT like McGlinchey or a potential trade down with a QB hungry team.

Draft wise they have all their original picks, are projected to get a 3rd round comp for Okung and have San Fran's 4th from the Kapri Bibbs trade and Atlanta's 5th from the Sambrillo trade.

If they take a rookie QB I think they need to look at someone like Nate Solder in free agency and maybe even if they get a top of the line vet.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
On a side note, Nuggets laid an egg in L.A. against the Lakers, tried to come back in the 2nd half but were just way too far behind after the 1st. Jokic got ejected, and there's scuttlebutt that the ref who did it has some sort of weird bias/vendetta against him. Whatever.

Saw some of the game, what's refreshing is that this team can actually shoot the ball, something that's been killing me about Nuggets teams of the past.

The ejection was ridiculous. Jokic got hammered and looked over yelling about the non call. I can't read lips but short of him saying he hoped the refs mom died of cancer there was no reason to toss him. Of course then Malone lost his shit and went after the ref getting tossed.

NBA refs are far and away the worst in the major sports and this guy just reenforced that perception.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm just a little baffled as to why they'd dump their OC in favor of the QBs coach. Yikes. It's not like that guy has been working wonders.

Not a football expert by any means, but there was a serious disconnect between McCoy and the rest of the organization. Kept rolling out 3-wide formations despite the fact they didn't have the personnel to make it work, didn't ever get the running game going like they wanted. Now...there are reasons McCoy probably did what he did (bad TEs, bad OL) but there were also cries that he ran a ridiculously complicated offense. Again, not my observations, just what I'm reading.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
they're going to dumb down the offense so that Wonder Boy can possibly spell the name of the play he's running

img_7998.jpg

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Of note: I full expect Malik Jackson to be cut by the Jags this offseason. They are projecting at $3m in cap space they have $43m tied up in three DEs all in their top 5 cap hits, he's the previous regime's signing, they won't be cutting Calais Campbell he's a DPOY candidate (if only someone from the Broncos thought of sighing him), they just traded for Marcell Dareus and cutting him will only save about $2.75, It might sate Coughlin's desire to murder hobos for a week and cutting Malik will save $9.5m or $13.5M depending on when he's cut.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I think they could cut Bortles and saves $19M though

I'm not 100% sure on that. They picked up his option year. If they cut him during the option year I'm not sure of their cap situation. Sportrac's saying they'd recoup 100% of the salary in cap but I don't know if that's accurate.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think they could cut Bortles and saves $19M though

I'm not 100% sure on that. They picked up his option year. If they cut him during the option year I'm not sure of their cap situation. Sportrac's saying they'd recoup 100% of the salary in cap but I don't know if that's accurate.
As far as I know, the caveat is they would need a replacement QB, which ain't cheap.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I could see Coughlin making a play for Eli but who knows.

Looks like Paxton's starting on Sunday per ESPN. God help us.

I went to my usual happy hour spot after work near the stadium. The local consensus was in favor of Lynch as the savior of the franchise.

Lol

Reactions: ASmileyFace

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Of note: I full expect Malik Jackson to be cut by the Jags this offseason. They are projecting at $3m in cap space they have $43m tied up in three DEs all in their top 5 cap hits, he's the previous regime's signing, they won't be cutting Calais Campbell he's a DPOY candidate (if only someone from the Broncos thought of sighing him), they just traded for Marcell Dareus and cutting him will only save about $2.75, It might sate Coughlin's desire to murder hobos for a week and cutting Malik will save $9.5m or $13.5M depending on when he's cut.

calais often plays DE, though he lines up inside occasionally, but he's usually 5 or 7 tech. jackson seems to play 3 tech mostly, sometimes 5 tech but he's basically DT as they use 4-3 as their base. dareus plays NT.

however, they have abry jones too who is pretty good DT too. fowler and ngakoue at the edges. they are exceptionally deep at DL but could use improvement in some other areas like OL. and their top 2 wideouts are FAs. cutting malik is the most reasonable option to save cap space and not hurt the team. but the cap savings from cutting him aren't very big for what he can provide, though he's overpaid.

i'd give it 99% chance that they cut bortles.he's a bottom 5 starter imo. what determines maliks fate will probably be how costly his replacement is (draft pick, eli, tyrod taylor, alex smith??).

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
calais often plays DE, though he lines up inside occasionally, but he's usually 5 or 7 tech. jackson seems to play 3 tech mostly, sometimes 5 tech but he's basically DT as they use 4-3 as their base. dareus plays NT.

however, they have abry jones too who is pretty good DT too. fowler and ngakoue at the edges. they are exceptionally deep at DL but could use improvement in some other areas like OL. and their top 2 wideouts are FAs. cutting malik is the most reasonable option to save cap space and not hurt the team. but the cap savings from cutting him aren't very big for what he can provide, though he's overpaid.

i'd give it 99% chance that they cut bortles.he's a bottom 5 starter imo. what determines maliks fate will probably be how costly his replacement is (draft pick, eli, tyrod taylor, alex smith??).
Jacksonville has the streak of cutting a UFA they signed off of the Broncos after two seasons alive as well (Beadles, Julius, Malik?)

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I wouldn’t want Malik back. He’s probably going to want at least 10M and I wish they’d use that money in the OL. Kind of like the idea Walter Football’s got on their site - a veteran QB in FA (Eli or Cousins), and then a DT in the top 10 of the draft and an athletic LB in the second.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Anyone else watch football yesterday? That was the worst Thanksgiving day games I've ever watched. TBF I missed the Minny/Detroit game since I was cooking but the other two were terrible games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad