OT: Other Sports aka #Broncos #SellRockiesSell #Nuggets

Status
Not open for further replies.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I’ve always thought the altitude ends up f***ing with the pitchers’ heads more than their arms.

I’d think to be a successful Rockies pitcher you have to be able to win games two completely different ways successfully. You have to have one game plan at home and one on the road. Also you just can’t really give a shit about stats, just winning games.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Hampton? Love that you're using an irrelevant stat to show his their arms flame out even though Hampton's avg FB velocity went from 88.1mph in 2002 with the Rockies to 88.2mph, 88.2mph, 88.3mph from 2003~2005 with the Braves. Hampton flamed out as a Rockie because he couldn't get his sinker to work at Coors, not his arm flaming out.

Ok well let's take it from the player's vantage points then if you don't believe me.

They remember what Mike Hampton, still the highest-paid free-agent pitcher in franchise history, said after he left in 2002 with a 6.15 ERA just two seasons into a eight-year, $121 million deal: “I was going to prove it could be done or die trying. I almost died trying.”

Holmes, who played with the Braves after leaving Colorado, recalls the Atlanta teams of the early 2000s adjusting their all-world rotation so that their best pitchers at the time would be skipped in Colorado. “It was, Which one of the three is going to win the Cy Young?” he says. “Because whoever’s got the best statistics, we’ll hold them out.”

When Dodgers starter Hideo Nomo tossed a no-hitter in 1996 at Coors, the event was hailed like a moon landing. “I’m betting it won’t be done again,” L.A. first baseman Eric Karros said at the time, and 21 years later he’s still waiting.

The Rockies have conducted studies into weather patterns, into heat and humidity on game days. (The Rockies are the only team in baseball with their own weather station at the ballpark.) They have hired a slew of consultants. For every idea that has been put in place, dozens have been discussed but either scrapped or set aside. Years ago officials considered turning the ballpark into a dome and pressurizing it to mitigate the effects of the thin air. More recently the front office and training staff discussed converting the entire home clubhouse at Coors Field into a hyperbaric chamber to help players recover in an environment where there’s a lack of oxygen.

“Every little thing has been studied. One approach was, ‘We’re going to run all the time to be more in shape than the other guys,” says reliever Adam Ottavino, who, in his sixth season, is the longest-tenured pitcher on staff. “But the only thing that happened was that everyone was just tired all the time.”

Tip No. 2: Dump your side sessions. The body is taxed more at Coors than at sea level, so to save energy some Rockies cut their side sessions and workouts when they’re on a home stand.

fter years of analysis—physicists across the country have made a second living off Coors Field–related study—there are no more mysteries about why baseball in Colorado is the way it is. It’s no secret that because games are being played at 5,200 feet, where the air density is about 80% of what it is at sea level, air resistance is 20% less, baseballs carry 20% farther and breaking pitches move 20% less. (If you have your doubts, “The Coefficient of Restitution of Baseballs as a Function of Relative Humidity” is available online.) It’s also no secret that pitchers are at a further disadvantage because reduced oxygen levels at altitude tax the body and make recovery after each game and workout more difficult than at sea level.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/07/13/colorado-rockies-coors-field

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I already know it's more taxing pitching at high altitude, and breaking balls break less.

Mike Hampton flamed out because he couldn't get his sinker right. Chris Rusin changed his release point and became the best reliever on the team.

So I fail to see what you're trying to prove with that article. I'm guessing it's the last paragraph, which I already knew.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
More importantly, Cardinals were down 6-0 and now they're up 7-6 on the Brewers.

Juan Nicasio is in to finish the game for the Cardinals

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
e75410db2ed09e1a4256533339908897.png

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/toolshed-mlb-contenders-find-help-on-the-farm/c-256576016

So what happened to all the Rockies can't draft and develop folks.

I'm also very excited for "well yeah, Rockies draft high so they should be good players" argument.

Well they were pretty terrible at it until this cycle of players. Great to see how well it's worked. Been a long time coming

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Should be another Gold Glove season for LeMahieu

NL second base fielding leaders

Games:
1. DJ LeMahieu - 153
2. Dee Gordon - 152
3. Daniel Murphy - 138

Innings:
1. DJ LeMahieu - 1,302
2. Dee Gordon - 1285
3. Daniel Murphy - 1191

Chances:
1. DJ LeMahieu - 729
2. Dee Gordon - 663
3. Joe Panik - 583

Put Outs:
1. Dee Gordon - 264
2. DJ LeMahieu - 251
3. Joe Panik - 245

Assists:
1. DJ LeMahieu - 470
2. Dee Gordon - 387
3. Daniel Murphy - 351

Fewest Errors (among qualified players)
1. DJ LeMahieu - 8
2. Daniel Murphy - 9
2. Joe Panik - 9

Double Plays:
1. DJ LeMahieu - 106
2. Dee Gordon - 96
3. Daniel Murphy - 84

Fielding percentage (qualified):
1. DJ LeMahieu - .989
2. Joe Panik - .985
3. Daniel Murphy -.984

Range Factor:
1. DJ LeMahieu - 4.98
2. Cesar Hernandez - 4.64
3. Dee Gordon - 4.56

dWAR (qualified):
1. DJ LeMahieu - 1.2
2. Dee Gordon - 0.7
3. Brandon Drury - 0.5

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Supposedly Vance Joseph likes to play aggressive but doesn't go for it and either fourth and one. That game was too close for comfort

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Holy crap the Broncos need to learn to put their foot on the pedal a little harder. So many mistakes. So many missed opportunities to put the Raiders completely away.

Lucky to be 3-1 but lol the Pats are 2-2

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Man that was a painful Broncos game today.

Siemian is just plain awful, I know it's trendy to blame the O-line, and I will agree they aren't the best, but Siemian doesn't do them any favors either. The guy can read a defense to save his life, again there were multiple plays he could have had completions where he just plain missed an open guy. He holds the ball way too long, if his first read isn't open he panics. He looks like your prototypical late round journeyman QB who is in over his head.

It's really a shame that we are wasting such a great defense pairing it with such a lousy QB, who can't make plays.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
We're going to find out a lot about the Chiefs in short order. Their next six games:
Washington
@ Houston
Pittsburgh
@ Oakland
Denver
@ Dallas

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Siemian has done some good things this year but overall his decision making is just too poor to be an NFL starter. He often has options and time to get a ball off but instead holds onto it until he gets hit. Other times he has not other options and rather than throwing it out of bounds or absorbing the hit he just throws up an absolute pizza for anyone to grab.

He actually throws the ball fairly well. It's just his decision making.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, that was a tough game to watch.

Siemian is a placeholder, we all know that, but placeholder or not, I still can't understand why a 6'3" NFL quarterback can't figure out how to utilize passing lanes and get stuff over the line without his passes getting batted around. Sooner or later those are going to turn into interceptions.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
And WHAT in God's name is wrong with McManus!?!?
He is having a rough year for sure. If the Broncos can figure out how to put the ball in the god damn endzone and McManus stops missing chipshots they might actually be a real contender this year.

Feels like a super early bye week too. I'm a big fan of having a bye in the later 1/3rd of the season. Hopefully they use this week off well.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm so done with Simeian. The Dallas game will be the best game he ever plays, but he just is not an NFL starter.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I'm barely down in my fantasy matchup with only KCs kicker left to play and he misses a god damn field goal. I'm going to strangle a cute animal if I lose this. :rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad