OT: Other Sports aka #Broncos #SellRockiesSell #Nuggets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Tennis is a tough one. I’m definitely a Djokovic fan but like watching Opelka too - just becauses he’s so freaking tall. But Opelka’s got a long way to go to be actually good.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Pray for Anthony Seigler at 22, because he's a switching hitter and a switching throwing pitcher.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't even think he got fired, he quit.
I kind of recall it was a you can quit or be fired situation. I could be wrong but I feel like this was the scenario that was presented. Rockies wanted to give him the option to quit on his own so he wasn't "fired."

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It only took O’Dowd about 10 years to get canned.

Based on that timeline, Bridich can stink it up until almost 2030 before anything’s done.

:)
The problem with the Rockies at the moment isn't necessarily all Birdich's fault. At some point or another you have to say these vets who are hitting below .220 aren't getting it done. Especially guys like Desmond, Iannetta/Wolters, Cargo, to extent Parra. It's like the Avs when they were relying on Iginla, Beauchemin etc. they just aren't good players any more. Got to move on at some point.

You have guys like Tapia, Murphy Dahl, McMahon not getting full time ABs when they are ready for that opportunity.

You could fix a lot of the problems by sending out a lineup of:

Tapia (speed at the top of the lineup)
LeMahieu (hit machine)
Arenado (RBI machine)
Chuck Nazty (all around guy)
Dahl (got the potential to be a solid RBI guy)
Story (extra pop lower in the lineup)
McMahon (needs constant ABs could be a really solid bottom of the lineup guy)
Murphy (better than anyone we've got at catcher)

On the bench you have vets Desmond, Cargo, Iannetta

You couldn't tell me there was a deeper hitting team than that in the NL.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The problem with the Rockies at the moment isn't necessarily all Birdich's fault. At some point or another you have to say these vets who are hitting below .220 aren't getting it done. Especially guys like Desmond, Iannetta/Wolters, Cargo, to extent Parra. It's like the Avs when they were relying on Iginla, Beauchemin etc. they just aren't good players any more. Got to move on at some point.

You have guys like Tapia, Murphy Dahl, McMahon not getting full time ABs when they are ready for that opportunity.

Tapia (speed at the top of the lineup)
LeMahieu (hit machine)
Arenado (RBI machine)
Chuck Nazty (all around guy)
Dahl (got the potential to be a solid RBI guy)
Story (extra pop lower in the lineup)
McMahon (needs constant ABs could be a really solid bottom of the lineup guy)
Murphy (better than anyone we've got at catcher)

On the bench you have vets Desmond, Cargo, Iannetta

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Shane Ray’s wrist is apparently hurt again.

And sad news about Dwight Clark. ALS is awful.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I don't even think he got fired, he quit.

That’s even worse. I don’t know what’s better - blow up everything and then win a couple seasons Philly 76ers/Houston Astros style or just be completely average forever Denver Nuggets/Colorado Rockies style.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No, O'Dud definitely got fired. Or at least was given the chance to resign first. His predecessor Bob Gebhard was given the same choice, and also resigned. But the fact remains a completely incompetent GM who treated Coors Field like it was the enemy managed to last a decade and, apart from that wild and crazy run to the World Series in 2007, had virtually nothing to show for it.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
That’s even worse. I don’t know what’s better - blow up everything and then win a couple seasons Philly 76ers/Houston Astros style or just be completely average forever Denver Nuggets/Colorado Rockies style.
Blowing it up in baseball is stupid

Actually it is, he's the one that signed the terrible hitters.

Look at Atlanta's lineup if you want to see a deeper hitting team. Same with Giants, those two are from the top of my head.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Bridich is tons better than O'Dud, but that ain't saying much.

Until the Monforts are exorcised from the organization entirely, the Rockies and their fans will forever be doomed.
I don't understand this at all, like 5~10 years ago, sure. But when's the last time you have heard from the Monforts ever since Bridich took over? All they've done is backed him, improved the stadium, and improved their minor league affiliates.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't understand this at all, like 5~10 years ago, sure. But when's the last time you have heard from the Monforts ever since Bridich took over? All they've done is backed him, improved the stadium, and improved their minor league affiliates.

I don't believe for an instant that they've suddenly become "good" owners. They just keep an even lower profile than before in the wake of Charlie's run-ins with the law back in, what was it, 2012 or 2013? Yes, the creation of the party deck and new scoreboard were nice, and whatever the hell they've done with the minor league affiliates will likely help, but that doesn't erase the garbage they've pulled all the years before this. I don't believe at all that Bridich has a free hand to do what is needed to make this team better (not that I think Bridich would be some brilliant GM if he had the reins taken off, I just don't think he's Problem #1).

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Bridich is tons better than O'Dud, but that ain't saying much.

Until the Monforts are exorcised from the organization entirely, the Rockies and their fans will forever be doomed.

O'Dowd built this team, or at least the parts that actually work. Bridich has been an unmitigated disaster. He really needs to go back to the only area he is good at, scouting.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Agree on all accounts with Poke

I see Dick every year at speaking engagements. The funny thing is he talks about leadership and the Rockies success. I have to chuckle inside when I hear his story. They did fantastic with their Greeley business, but call the Rockies what they are - a baseball club that is the Monforts pastime of throwing back a bunch of beers and goofing around with a sports franchise. They’re not serious to go all in at any point and throw down hard money to win pennants. It’s a solid steady stream of income for them and a place where they can go every weekend to party.

Reactions: Pokecheque

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Agree on all accounts with Poke

I see Dick every year at speaking engagements. The funny thing is he talks about leadership and the Rockies success. I have to chuckle inside when I hear his story. They did fantastic with their Greeley business, but call the Rockies what they are - a baseball club that is the Monforts pastime of throwing back a bunch of beers and goofing around with a sports franchise. They’re not serious to go all in at any point and throw down hard money to win pennants. It’s a solid steady stream of income for them and a place where they can go every weekend to party.
I would love to know where you hear him talk every year.

Do you have examples that they're not throwing hard money to win pennants?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
O'Dowd built this team, or at least the parts that actually work. Bridich has been an unmitigated disaster. He really needs to go back to the only area he is good at, scouting.

Bridich is at least willing to bring in pitchers who throw something other than a sinker. That already makes him a better GM. O'Dud was convinced there was only one way you could win at Coors Field, and again, he treated Coors as a problem that needed to be solved instead of what SHOULD be the best homefield advantage in the majors. He brought in that ridiculous humidor and he wanted to adjust the foul lines but the Monforts (thankfully) said no.

Bridich is representative of a bigger problem, he was about as insular a pick as they could've chosen. The Avs had that problem (and to a pretty large degree still do).

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Bridich is at least willing to bring in pitchers who throw something other than a sinker. That already makes him a better GM. O'Dud was convinced there was only one way you could win at Coors Field, and again, he treated Coors as a problem that needed to be solved instead of what SHOULD be the best homefield advantage in the majors. He brought in that ridiculous humidor and he wanted to adjust the foul lines but the Monforts (thankfully) said no.

Bridich is representative of a bigger problem, he was about as insular a pick as they could've chosen. The Avs had that problem (and to a pretty large degree still do).
The pitchers Bridich has brought in has been terrible though. Look at the money he gave to relievers and only Holland and Davis (so far) worked out, and remember Holland is terrible this year and Bridich offered the Wade Davis contract to him.

Playing half your games at Coors/high altitude will always be the biggest home field disadvantage in baseball. Dbacks are using the humidor this year and MLB is thinking of using humidor for every ballpark now, not sure you can call that a ridiculous idea. Also the piggyback idea was pretty smart, just shitty execution.

Bridich is obviously different from O’dowd and I knew pretty much he wasn’t Monforts’ puppet when he traded Tulo but it’s not like he’s so much better than O’dowd. The part that makes no sense to me about Bridich is that he was the player development guy, but he’s constantly blocking the talented prospects by making idiotic moves in FA.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Bridich is obviously different from O’dowd and I knew pretty much he wasn’t Monforts’ puppet when he traded Tulo but it’s not like he’s so much better than O’dowd. The part that makes no sense to me about Bridich is that he was the player development guy, but he’s constantly blocking the talented prospects by making idiotic moves in FA.

Could not agree more. He's an improvement IMO but really not much so. He had a VERY low hurdle (no pun intended) to clear because of O'Dud. And I don't think we'll ever see sustainable success at Coors Field until the Monforts are wiped clean of the franchise, much like Redskins fans will never see success so long as Daniel Snyder runs the team like his own personal plaything.

I totally disagree that Coors is the biggest disadvantage in baseball. Why? The Rox should know the ins and outs of that park better than anyone, and yet we see other teams walk right in and have their way. Obviously THEY know how to win there, so why can't the Rox do it? And while I get that the air is thinner in Denver, it's not like the laws of physics have broken down there. No, the team should be built to belt the living hell out of the ball, no ifs ands or buts, and yet this lineup, even on paper, doesn't look remotely like one that takes advantage of that.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Could not agree more. He's an improvement IMO but really not much so. He had a VERY low hurdle (no pun intended) to clear because of O'Dud. And I don't think we'll ever see sustainable success at Coors Field until the Monforts are wiped clean of the franchise, much like Redskins fans will never see success so long as Daniel Snyder runs the team like his own personal plaything.

I totally disagree that Coors is the biggest disadvantage in baseball. Why? The Rox should know the ins and outs of that park better than anyone, and yet we see other teams walk right in and have their way. Obviously THEY know how to win there, so why can't the Rox do it? And while I get that the air is thinner in Denver, it's not like the laws of physics have broken down there. No, the team should be built to belt the living hell out of the ball, no ifs ands or buts, and yet this lineup, even on paper, doesn't look remotely like one that takes advantage of that.
It’s the biggest disadvantage for pitchers because of how farther the ball travels and a humongous outfield. It’s a rare stadium where it boosts the opposing team’s offense as much as the home team’s offense.

It’s terrible for hitters because once they go on the road, the ball breaks differently than they’re used to seeing. No other team has this big of a disadvantage.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I would love to know where you hear him talk every year.

He comes into our company every year and speaks at our leadership series. We get Broncos and other local leaders to come in and share their experiences. Virgil Green and Dick Monfort are regulars, although I haven’t seen Green admittedly since he left. Is that a sufficient enough answer to your snarkiness or are you going to ask for my employment verification as well?

Last edited:

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
He comes into our company every year and speaks at our leadership series. We get Broncos and other local leaders to come in and share their experiences. Virgil Green and Dick Monfort are regulars, although I haven’t seen Green admittedly since he left. Is that a sufficient enough answer to your snarkiness or are you going to ask for my employment verification as well?
I was curious because I never hear about him talking to people lately, thanks for your answer!

Now what about the 2nd part of my post.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Luis Ortiz vs Dillian Whyte is happening in the UK on July 28. Two of the top ranked heavyweights in the world.

Both are ranked in the top 5 or 6 by most.

Personally, I think Ortiz has a massive skill advantage in this fight. I see him knocking Whyte out in the middle rounds. Whyte has KO power, but it took Wilder 10 rounds to get Ortiz out of there. I don't think he can do it.

Whyte's stats:
23-1-0-0, 17 KOs
Best wins: Lucas Browne KO6
Loss: KO7 vs Anthony Joshua

Ortiz's stats:
28-1-0-2, 24 KOs, the 2 no-contests were originally KO wins but were changed. One when Ortiz tested positive, one when the opponent fell out of the ring.
Best wins: Bryant Jennings TKO7, Malik Scott UD12
Loss: TKO10 vs Wilder

They have 1 common opponent: David Allen. Ortiz won by TKO in 7, Whyte won by UD in 10

EDIT:
now they're saying this fight is off and Whyte's opponent will be announced tomorrow

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad