Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He hasn't failed, you're looking at the wrong criteria. His job is to make money for the owners, and he is a massive success at that.

No, he has failed in that regard. But even with sagging ratings and a fanbase that's dwindling (albeit only slightly) the NFL could lose about 50% of its earnings and the Fat Old Men In Suits would still be taking baths in hundreds of millions of dollars.

So, no, I don't buy that he's been successful there, but he hasn't been so incompetent that they feel the need to replace him. It's the epitome of laziness.

In short, they could dress a wombat up in a suit and sit him at a desk and the NFL would be just fine with it. Those owners don't want someone who will actually wield the power of his position, much like what happened with Fay Vincent and MLB.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

It’s an ok article but the politics it describes are all internal - protests in football because blacks didn’t have opportunities in football. I think that’s a whole different animal from players using the NFL platform to protest political issues that reside almost entirely outside of the sport.

Maybe it’s just personal taste but when I watch sports I don’t really want to watch politics at all. I don’t want to see guys kneeling, I don’t want to see Donald Trump making some pregame speech, and I don’t want to see PETA running around trophying rescue animals. All that stuff is just too divisive for me. I agree with a lot of people that the nfl made a mistake even with the whole armed forces deal. Everything has become more than just football, and that’s why it’s on the decline IMO.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah I saw that. Reminded me of ol' Darko back in the day. :laugh:

Hard to believe that BOTH of those guys once played for the Nuggets. Actually, scratch that, it makes perfect sense that both played for the Nuggets.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I dont know how anyone even JR can let that happen.

Not like this is the first time.

01s-jrbackpage.jpg

I can still remember one Nuggets game where J.R. went for a stupid spin dunk and botched it. Jeff Bzdelik was absolutely furious afterwards. He'd be a much more celebrated player if he had even half a brain.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Here's a fun game that was going on in Twitter a few days ago - favorite athletes of every sport......I think my list would go something like this -

Favorite (All-Time)...........
NFL Player - Barry Sanders or Randall Cunningham
NCAA Football Player - Byron Leftwich
NBA Player - Fat Lever
NCAA Basketball Player - Hank Gathers
Boxer - Evander Holyfield
MLB Player - Jerome Walton
NHL Player - Peter Forsberg
Soccer - ???

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Here's a fun game that was going on in Twitter a few days ago - favorite athletes of every sport......I think my list would go something like this -

Favorite (All-Time)...........
NFL Player - Barry Sanders or Randall Cunningham
NCAA Football Player - Byron Leftwich
NBA Player - Fat Lever
NCAA Basketball Player - Hank Gathers
Boxer - Evander Holyfield
MLB Player - Jerome Walton
NHL Player - Peter Forsberg
Soccer - ???
NFL- Von Miller/ Steve Atwater
NCAA- DeShaun Watson
NBA- Iverson
NCAA- Melo
Boxer- Mike Tyson
MLB- Helton
NHL- Sakic/Forsberg (how can you choose between these two)
Soccer- Zidane
Tennis- Federer
Lacrosse- Casey Powell
Golf- Tiger/Rickie Fowler

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
NFL- Barry Sanders
NCAA- Leonard Fournette
NBA- Earl Boykins
NCAA- Jimmer Fredette
Boxer- Floyd Mayweather
MLB- Arenado
NHL- Forsberg/Ovechkin
Soccer- Nani
Tennis- Djokovic
Golf- Camilo Villegas

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
NFL- Barry Sanders
NCAA- Leonard Fournette
NBA- Earl Boykins
NCAA- Jimmer Fredette
Boxer- Floyd Mayweather
MLB- Arenado
NHL- Forsberg/Ovechkin
Soccer- Nani
Tennis- Djokovic
Golf- Camilo Villegas

You and I sound like we grew up in the same generation. I gotta say - your list is pretty awesome. I totally forgot about Jimmer. And Boykins was an easy fan favorite. Big Al was just talkin the other day about how Boykins eats more fast food (specifically Burger King) than any other athlete he’s ever seen. Yet Boykins is so small and in such incredible shape. Rediculous.

I had a tough time not putting down Sanders as my favorite NCAA football player as well.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’m a youngin actually :D but my dad watched a lot of golf back in the day and like 10 year old me loved Villegas’ Spider-Man put read thing he does. And I got to see Fredette at the March madness tourney when it was here in Colorado and the way he’d just shoot the ball like 50 times a game was awesome to me.

member 116861

NFL- Casey Hayward
CFL- Korey Banks
NBA- Damian Lilliard
CHL- Evander Kane
MLB- Vernon Wells/Roy Halladay
NHL- Joe Sakic/Paul Stastny
Soccer- Steven Gerrard
Tennis- Eugenie Bouchard
Golf- Mike Weir

Changed NCAAF and NCAAB to CHL and CFL.​

The Abusement Park