GDT: Other Games Around The League 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I really don't think having Adam Larsson and Ryan Murray instead of RNH and Yakupov would make them one bit better...

Yeah, I agree. Edmonton's problem is that they can't get vets who the kids can look up to on AND off the ice. Andrew Ference is a great dude, but he sucked at hockey. Benoit Pouliot is good at hockey but doesn't seem the mentor type. Plus, they have zero ability to draft outside of first overall picks. And they refuse to fix their bottom six.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Will be lulzy if McDavid gets to be like 27 and never once makes the playoffs.

Mcdavid will be demanding a trade long before then. He might leave the 1st time he hits free agency. If you watched his reaction when Edmonton won the lottery he wasn't all that pleased. There is no reason at all for him to sign any longterm deal with a losing team. He will pretty much have a pick of any team he wants to play for and that team will pay him whatever he wants.

Fresnel

Sep 24, 2015
Every summer we wonder if a GM will put out an offer sheet. No one ever does. McDavid hits RFA 29 offer sheets go out.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Every summer we wonder if a GM will put out an offer sheet. No one ever does. McDavid hits RFA 29 offer sheets go out.

It's not necessarily that an offer sheet has or hasn't been put out. It's just that one is rarely signed. Often times, it's not in the player's best interest to sign an offer sheet from elsewhere.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I just realized that Panarin isn't eligible for the Calder since he played in the KHL. I mean, I like that that is a rule since he already played in a major professional league, but I didn't know it was a rule until a few minutes ago.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I just realized that Panarin isn't eligible for the Calder since he played in the KHL. I mean, I like that that is a rule since he already played in a major professional league, but I didn't know it was a rule until a few minutes ago.

I wonder if that rule is in anyway an outgrowth of the disgruntlement when Makarov won the Calder in 1991 at age 31? I vaguely remember there being some upset about it back then, but given it was 25 years ago now, my memory may not be the best.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA

Really? Weird. You'd think that rule would apply to the other professional leagues as well.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I wonder if that rule is in anyway an outgrowth of the disgruntlement when Makarov won the Calder in 1991 at age 31? I vaguely remember there being some upset about it back then, but given it was 25 years ago now, my memory may not be the best.

I read on Wikipedia (not always the best source) that they set an age limit after Makarov won the Calder when he was 31.

Really? Weird. You'd think that rule would apply to the other professional leagues as well.

Cough, MLB, cough.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

That can't be true, right? Loads of players play in foreign professional leagues before coming to the US. Malkin, off the top of my head, played in the KHL and won the Calder.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
That can't be true, right? Loads of players play in foreign professional leagues before coming to the US. Malkin, off the top of my head, played in the KHL and won the Calder.

I don't think the KHL existed when Malkin played. Maybe he played in a Russian junior league?

To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played any more than 25 games previously in any single season, nor have played in more than six games in each of two separate preceding seasons in any major professional league.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calder_Memorial_Trophy

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think it applies to the KHL. KHL is essentially the RSL and Ovechkin played more than the games needed to disqualify for the Calder yet obviously still won it.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Khl isn't a major professional league according to the nhl. The only major professional league left is the nhl. The rule was written back when the whl was still in existence. Hence why gretzky is missing a rookie of the year award.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Khl isn't a major professional league according to the nhl. The only major professional league left is the nhl. The rule was written back when the whl was still in existence.

You mean the WHA, right?

Also, John Klingberg played four seasons in SHL/Elitserien before coming to North America, and was still considered a rookie.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't think it applies to the KHL. KHL is essentially the RSL and Ovechkin played more than the games needed to disqualify for the Calder yet obviously still won it.

Think of the khl as a extension of the ahl. That is how the nhl thinks of it. The key word in the rules for the calder is major pro league. Ahl/khl and every other "paid" league (which constutes being a pro) is considered as semi pro to the nhl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad